Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

But all eight years and eleven movies marvel has put out has been setting up Infinity. That's been the connecting plot. I actually think CW would have made a more interesting story and maybe Thanos could have made his big move while the heroes were fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    They can't even do comicbook Civil War. Most of the pieces aren't on the table yet. There's no Atlantis, no mutants, SHIELD isn't officially back yet, there's no even enough characters in the universe to form two sides.

They're just taking the name, and using it for what will turn out to be essentially "Steve And Tony's Uncivil Disagreement Over Freedom Versus Protection, Without Cheating And Turning One Of Them Chaotic Evil." Which is what comicbook Civil War should have been in the first place.
    For what it's worth, Feige himself said flat out, in favor of your point, "This is the Civil War of the MCU. It's just inspired by the comics". So it'll be it's own thing. Much like Captain America: The Winter Soldier was inspired by the comic. The MCU version was still very much it's own story.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    People would get sick of an entire series or trilogy focused on the same story. The idea of doing individual "Civil War" tie-in movies for every franchise would be too much.
    I agree with this.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    But all eight years and eleven movies marvel has put out has been setting up Infinity. That's been the connecting plot. I actually think CW would have made a more interesting story and maybe Thanos could have made his big move while the heroes were fighting
    Exactly. Everyone saying that tie-in movies for Civil War would get tiring are either hypocrites, don't like the MCU, or perhaps don't like the premise of a Civil War, and thus use that as a "good" reason.

Also, seeing Thanos come into the picture while they're fighting, or after the dust has cleared, would've been nice.

And sure, the part of Civil War dealing with the characters, their decision, and repercussions of those decisions, was the "fat", but so is every movie that isn't Avengers 1, 2, and Infinity War. The GotG don't even have any ties to the actual Avengers. Most of the MCU is "fat".

Honestly, Civil War being it's own phase wouldn't be different to what we already have now, which is why I say this is a lost opportunity. This is like if Planet Hulk and World War Hulk, or just World War Hulk, were crammed into one movie. Would people want Hickman's New Avengers run compartmentalized into a single movie?

Quote Originally Posted by HeWhoSlapsAll View Post
    Exactly. Everyone saying that tie-in movies for Civil War would get tiring are either hypocrites, don't like the MCU, or perhaps don't like the premise of a Civil War, and thus use that as a "good" reason.

Also, seeing Thanos come into the picture while they're fighting, or after the dust has cleared, would've been nice.

And sure, the part of Civil War dealing with the characters, their decision, and repercussions of those decisions, was the "fat", but so is every movie that isn't Avengers 1, 2, and Infinity War. The GotG don't even have any ties to the actual Avengers. Most of the MCU is "fat".

Honestly, Civil War being it's own phase wouldn't be different to what we already have now, which is why I say this is a lost opportunity. This is like if Planet Hulk and World War Hulk, or just World War Hulk, were crammed into one movie. Would people want Hickman's New Avengers run compartmentalized into a single movie?
    I can only respond to the thread question: It depend how they are doing it if they see how Marvel treads their superhero by throwing completely out of the window what that word means the reaction would be a massive shitstorm on the other hand when there are clear good and evil between the 2 opposite sites and not hero vs hero. It would work.

Infinity War isn't the same thing at all.

They have used the Stones as MacGuffins... that is the only "link" the infinity war. That, and about 3 minutes of combined screen time of Thanos grinning and about 7 sentences worth of dialogue.

the individual films have still held up as individual films. They aren't telling an "infinity war" saga throughout. And half of the movies had nothing to do with them at all (IM1, IM2, IM3, Cap2, Thor, Ant-Man).
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Infinity War isn't the same thing at all.

They have used the Stones as MacGuffins... that is the only "link" the infinity war. That, and about 3 minutes of combined screen time of Thanos grinning and about 7 sentences worth of dialogue.

the individual films have still held up as individual films. They aren't telling an "infinity war" saga throughout. And half of the movies had nothing to do with them at all (IM1, IM2, IM3, Cap2, Thor, Ant-Man).
    Still, every movie in Phase 1 set up to Avengers. Phase 2 didn't do that, but the fact that Phase 1 did so means that it can be done again.

I'd at least say that a Iron Man 4: Civil War, being the second part, would be reasonable for this. For a hero vs hero story, you'd think we'd get a good look at both sides, but, as most have said, this is probably going to be mostly a bias, or one-sided, pov from Cap's side, as it is his movie. Who knows tho, didn't RDJ sign a new contract? If so, it's odd that there's no Iron Man 4 in the plans, as he's by far the most popular MCU hero. Maybe they do have IM4 being the part 2 of this (or there is an IM4 and it has nothing to do with this lol).

Only in so much as the movies to date have created and fleshed out the shared universe that Infinity War will eventually be a part of. Very few of the movies have included anything more than an easter egg or post credit glimpse for Infinity War, hardly a connecting plot.

Quote Originally Posted by HeWhoSlapsAll View Post
    Planet Hulk was compressed into an 81 minute animated feature so if you bump it up to the seemingly standard 120+ for a live action movie then it's doable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    Only in so much as the movies to date have created and fleshed out the shared universe that Infinity War will eventually be a part of. Very few of the movies have included anything more than an easter egg or post credit glimpse for Infinity War, hardly a connecting plot.
    Well, a better example is Phase 1, which all set up Avengers. I'm proposing that Civil War simply be a phase, not necessarily a giant overarching thing like Thanos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    Planet Hulk was compressed into an 81 minute animated feature so if you bump it up to the seemingly standard 120+ for a live action movie then it's doable.
    Well you see that I said PH and WWH, or just WWH. I don't believe WWH can be done in one movie, but I think two is good.

Wasn't the main story of WWH a pretty small one though? Most of the event outside of a couple of core books was just dealing with random fights & other heroes reactions to Hulk's return. You'd need to strip away the non-essential parts to make a movie of it. You don't have to have every MCU character involved just because they're in the same universe. Despite the megabucks they are pulling in every movie has a budget to work to.

I would have used the earlier movies to set up a distrust of superheroes between the government and public. Let the public have been torn over governmental oversight of Superheroes. Then TWS and Ultron pushes the government to win the oversight battle. In Cap three you see Cap against it and Tony for it. Sides are taken and then Iron man four where war breaks out and continues into Avengers 3 where by the near end the Avengers are decimated from the in fighting and caps group arrested and at the end bam Thanos shows up with the glove as the super hero community is already destroyed and Thanos takes earth leading into Avengers 4 infinity where they put their differences aside and fight Thanos and Stark dies to save Steve's life and the next phase begins with the original Avengers gone and new heroes aka Spider-Man taking their place

BANNED

This is one of the main flaw of Civil War the comic. It was written by Mark Millar, who evidently beliefs that all humans, superheroes included, are cynical, stupid, or flatout evil, or all of the above.

Also, 90% of Civil War was about the archaic secret identities trope, which the MCU has largely done away with. You've got Matt Murdock and... that's it, isn't it? Nobody's going to war over Daredevil. Including Daredevil.

BANNED

I would have used the earlier movies to set up a distrust of superheroes between the government and public. Let the public have been torn over governmental oversight of Superheroes.
    That's assuming that this is an element that Feige and the other architects of the MCU even remotely want in their superhero universe. Which I don't think they do. Not as a longterm ongoing thing anyway.
    It's probably something Marvel regrets doing with Civil War in the first place.
    Feige has said he doesn't want the MCU to become a dark place.

They touched on that theme a little in IM2 with the Senate committee hearings but they pretty much blew it away by the time the movie was over.