Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default From Stuntwoman To Mystic Assassin- The Spiral Appreciation Thread

Hi everybody (...wait for response) I am making this thread for the dedication of X-Men villain and sometimes ally Spiral. Created by Ann Nocenti and Art Adams Spiral was born as Rita Wayword aka Ricochet Rita and eventually became a professional stuntwoman. She fell in love with the alien being Longshot and tried to help him free his genetically created race from the tyrant Mojo. Sadly she was captured and after years of forced servitude to Mojo Rita was modified into the six armed being known as Spiral. The process drove her insane but furthermore loyal to Mojo who sent her back in time to serve his past self.

Since then Spiral has come toe to toe with both Longshot and the X-Men in many battles and even on a few occasions have even been their ally. Her mystic talents are also great and she is definitely a serious opponent for any hero. Sadly she has been absent over the last couple of years and I hope that she pops up post Secret Wars.

Post anything you want about Spiral here or her former self Ricochet Rita. Happy posting
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

BANNED

Cool X-Men 92 an on-going in 2016! So I get to read about her 616 counterpart!

Teleporting Spiral X-men by Peter-v-Nguyen

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

*Ahem, ahem* You talkin' to me?

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Loved her during the Sisterhood.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I really like this Kevin Wada art

Incredible Member

Spiral has so much potential to be an a-class villain it's not even funny.

distinct look, brilliantly insane with the power set to back it off and has her own mooks (the reavers).

Surprised it hasn't been used already.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I love Spiral!! I wish that someone would really make a good solid push with her. I wasn't that impressed with the X-Force title and dropped it fairly early one. I would love to see either Spiral get her own book and become a crazy anti-hero type or just go full tilt Mega Villain on par with Sinister, Magneto (once upon a time) or Apocalypse. She's got the ability to be a major class villain, taking people and re-creating bodies for them, plus her own crazy ninja skills and mystical abilities.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

She is truly scary an twisted.
    image.jpg

I think they should make her a better character.

I think she should kill Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post

She's already a pretty decent character.

And Mojo himself has plenty of potential as well.

Spiral was fascinating right from the start, since her first appearance in Longshot #1 (1985). BTW, now it's her 30th anniversary, as well as his!

Her six arms and her mystic dance, straightaway taken from Shiva Nataraja, give her a pagan trait of sophisticated beauty, while her savage fighting style (six bladed weapons at a time!) brings her close to Hindu demons as Ravana. She's a piece of art by herself.

Nevertheless, I think the word that would better express what Spiral is would be 'hate'. A hate born from rancor and rage. Spiral is a Fury from the Greek mythology, almost literally --she just wants to punish the criminal she believes responsible of her disgrace (that is, poor old Longshot). Truth is, in her path to revenge she unleashes her violence upon anyone who crosses her way, but let's be understanding...Mojo's torture made her go to such madness that she's become a bit sadistic.

I really liked her as Ricochet Rita. It was a real shame that she turned out like this but it just goes to show that the good guys don't always win and that bad things can happen to good people.

I also really liked her Ultimate counterpart but it is a shame that she only appeared in the one arc.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    It was a real shame that she turned out like this but it just goes to show that the good guys don't always win and that bad things can happen to good people.
    Definitely. Anyway, I don't think Rita was nor good neither bad: she was just a brave generous person. And she knew what she was risking ("That's what makes it fun!").

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    I also really liked her Ultimate counterpart but it is a shame that she only appeared in the one arc.
    You betcha! I really loved that arc, precisely because it was such an upsidedown of Spiral/Longshot relationship --and so plausible in 616 at the same time! I mean, I can perfectly imagine both of them together in the past in Mojoworld, and the pair breaking up because of an offhand stance for his part and a rash stance for her part. A liar, murderer, racist Longshot is another thing all together, of course (although I enjoyed it a lot), but Ultimate Spiral is as vengeful as the original one.

I love Spiral, but I have to say Ricochet Rita Wayword was such a great and awesome character. Kinda wish Spiral gets more development and finds a way to switch back and forth between identities. I also hope her and Longshot make up and become close allies.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex. View Post

QFT. I have always hated Mojo and how he treated Spiral. I hope she finally gets her revenge and annihilates that fat slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Spiral was fascinating right from the start, since her first appearance in Longshot #1 (1985). BTW, now it's her 30th anniversary, as well as his!

Her six arms and her mystic dance, straightaway taken from Shiva Nataraja, give her a pagan trait of sophisticated beauty, while her savage fighting style (six bladed weapons at a time!) brings her close to Hindu demons as Ravana. She's a piece of art by herself.

Nevertheless, I think the word that would better express what Spiral is would be 'hate'. A hate born from rancor and rage. Spiral is a Fury from the Greek mythology, almost literally --she just wants to punish the criminal she believes responsible of her disgrace (that is, poor old Longshot). Truth is, in her path to revenge she unleashes her violence upon anyone who crosses her way, but let's be understanding...Mojo's torture made her go to such madness that she's become a bit sadistic.
    I have to agree. Do you prefer Spiral as a villain or an anti-hero?
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    I love Spiral, but I have to say Ricochet Rita Wayword was such a great and awesome character. Kinda wish Spiral gets more development and finds a way to switch back and forth between identities. I also hope her and Longshot make up and become close allies.
    I love you, PIC, I can't agree more <3 . I don't know if she could become a real ally to Longshot (too much story between them), but it's pretty clear he's been and will always be important for her --so badly! I wonder if someday we may get to know what happened after they crossed that interdimensional portal holding hands.

QFT. I have always hated Mojo and how he treated Spiral. I hope she finally gets her revenge and annihilates that fat slob.
    Why, of course Mojo is absolutely odious. He's a villain! And what a piece of villain, one of those who destroy without a purpose!

Do you prefer Spiral as a villain or an anti-hero?
    Mmmm... I prefer her as a villain with feelings, a wounded villain who can be redeemed because evil is not her nature, but her way to throw her pain up.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 10-10-2015 at 01:53 AM.