Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

For the record, I dislike Democrats because they, imho, just dramatically increased the cost of healthcare tenfold and started the process of turning our healthcare system into a bloated beauracracy that will make the DMV and the VA seem like Disneyworld by comparison, all in the pursuit of increasing their own personal wealth and power. We can discuss this in the Community forum though and stop derailing this thread.

Back on topic:

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Is the Samaritan scenario prone to th same or greater abuse, or would it's rational decisions benefit more people.
    Obviously, the answer to your question is that the Samaritan scenario would not benefit people. We'll see that next season. It will be more brutal and horrible than it already has been, because power of that magnitude without any checks and balances is tyranny. We'll see horrors perpetuated by Samaritan the likes you can't even imagine.

Harold was right not to assassinate Representative McCourt, but taking the high road against a machine that has no ethics whatsoever is a very difficult proposition. I only hope that Harold and crew can find a way to at least muzzle this beast, because eventually, it's rational decision making will come to the conclusion that the problem with people is people.

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    For the record, I dislike Democrats because they, imho, just dramatically increased the cost of healthcare tenfold and started the process of turning our healthcare system into a bloated beauracracy that will make the DMV and the VA seem like Disneyworld by comparison, all in the pursuit of increasing their own personal wealth and power. We can discuss this in the Community forum though and stop derailing this thread.

Back on topic:

Obviously, the answer to your question is that the Samaritan scenario would not benefit people. We'll see that next season. It will be more brutal and horrible than it already has been, because power of that magnitude without any checks and balances is tyranny. We'll see horrors perpetuated by Samaritan the likes you can't even imagine.

Harold was right not to assassinate Representative McCourt, but taking the high road against a machine that has no ethics whatsoever is a very difficult proposition. I only hope that Harold and crew can find a way to at least muzzle this beast, because eventually, it's rational decision making will come to the conclusion that the problem with people is people.

Yes, better to keep this abstract and not too specific to real politics.

Your scenario is usually the one that most scifi stories of this type leads to. But playing devils advocate, and looking at leaders for most of the worlds history, I am just wondering if a logical system, whose main function is for the good of most of humanity would not be better at times.

Mighty Member

Your scenario is usually the one that most scifi stories of this type leads to. But playing devils advocate, and looking at leaders for most of the worlds history, I am just wondering if a logical system, whose main function is for the good of most of humanity would not be better at times.
    True, it is a sci fi trope that a mechanical mind will either enslave or eliminate the human race. IIRC from a recent article (on IGN I think), the writers of the show always felt like this trope was wrong, that there would only be one AI enslaving or eliminating the human race (e.g. Skynet or GORN). They always felt that there would be competing AI's acting as gods with humans becoming their disciples, which this show is now exploring.

We've already seen the Machine go down this route of doing what is best for humanity by asking Harold and crew to eliminate Representative McCourt to prevent the humans from signing on to allow Samaritan to go online. Logical? Yes, as the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. Ethical? Not even close. The man wasn't an enemy, just a fool being used by the enemy. The Machine wasn't making any distinctions here. It just found the easy way and pointed Harold and crew to it instead of concentrating on the true threat, Decima.

If the Machine is already making logical leaps like that, then imagine what Samaritan, whom has no conscience in the form of Harold is going to do. It won't be pretty, especially with a man like Greer acting as its advisor.

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    True, it is a sci fi trope that a mechanical mind will either enslave or eliminate the human race. IIRC from a recent article (on IGN I think), the writers of the show always felt like this trope was wrong, that there would only be one AI enslaving or eliminating the human race (e.g. Skynet or GORN). They always felt that there would be competing AI's acting as gods with humans becoming their disciples, which this show is now exploring.

We've already seen the Machine go down this route of doing what is best for humanity by asking Harold and crew to eliminate Representative McCourt to prevent the humans from signing on to allow Samaritan to go online. Logical? Yes, as the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. Ethical? Not even close. The man wasn't an enemy, just a fool being used by the enemy. The Machine wasn't making any distinctions here. It just found the easy way and pointed Harold and crew to it instead of concentrating on the true threat, Decima.

If the Machine is already making logical leaps like that, then imagine what Samaritan, whom has no conscience in the form of Harold is going to do. It won't be pretty, especially with a man like Greer acting as its advisor.

I suppose for it to work to mankind's benefit, there would have to be something similar to Asimov's three laws in the programming.

The competing AI, which makes a lot of sense, is a great idea. Root keeps talking about the war between Gods. I didn't think about how original this is. (I haven't seen it elsewhere at least.)

In fact that would be a good plan for a future Terminator film. Not going back to stop Skynet, but set up a stronger AI to beat it before it takes over.

Astonishing Member

This season can't get here any sooner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng0J...ature=youtu.be

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

I suppose for it to work to mankind's benefit, there would have to be something similar to Asimov's three laws in the programming.

The competing AI, which makes a lot of sense, is a great idea. Root keeps talking about the war between Gods. I didn't think about how original this is. (I haven't seen it elsewhere at least.)

In fact that would be a good plan for a future Terminator film. Not going back to stop Skynet, but set up a stronger AI to beat it before it takes over.

I think that's where they were going in the Sarah Connor Chronicles but the series got cancelled .. Skynet vs another AI (that at the beginning had us thinking was Skynet)

Astonishing Member

So glad this shit is finally back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    So glad this shit is finally back.
    Me too, Kid A, me too.
    That is the Hurnslice I've come to know. Slightly confused but armed to the teeth and willing to eff you up! - RedRonin

Ultimate Member

There needs to be an award for best 'terrifying depiction of an AI'

So who where those people Shaw got in the van with? I didn't really get it.

Also, did they sit Reese at Carter's old desk?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So who where those people Shaw got in the van with? I didn't really get it.

Also, did they sit Reese at Carter's old desk?
    Yeah he did, that's why there was sort of a subtle moment between him and Fusco.

Yeah I'm confused about the blonde guy in the van. My understanding was that he kept showing up on her Tinder, and then it turned out that the Machine brought him there for a reason, but what he does I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Yeah he did, that's why there was sort of a subtle moment between him and Fusco.

Yeah I'm confused about the blonde guy in the van. My understanding was that he kept showing up on her Tinder, and then it turned out that the Machine brought him there for a reason, but what he does I have no idea.
    My first thought was he was a criminal because of the set-up and needing a wheelman thing, but not sure that makes sense? And what was that guy in the back of the van holding? I didn't get a good look.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    My first thought was he was a criminal because of the set-up and needing a wheelman thing, but not sure that makes sense? And what was that guy in the back of the van holding? I didn't get a good look.
    It seems that the Machine has given Samaritan a reason for Shaw to meet with Romeo. Pretty much, Shaw and Romeo are about to become a "couple", thus granting Shaw access to both underground contacts and materials. And she gets to be a part of the mayhem, while not causing it, which is what Samaritan is specifically looking for when looking for Shaw.

Pretty much, Reese has had to become Carter while Shaw will have to let others do what she no longer can to avoid detection by Samaritan. And as much as Shaw hates her job, it does provide great opportunities to talk with Root without many people around. Honestly, no one hangs out in the perfume section of a store unless they absolutely have to be there.

I still love that Lionel has no idea about the Machine or Samaritan, and that he's largely okay with not knowing. He's a good soldier who follows orders and trusts Reese's and Finch's leadership. He's pretty much the team's secret weapon. Well, he and Bear.

Btw, no mention of Finch seemingly gaining a batcave? I'd love to see it loaded with old time computers, like the 60's batcave that used punch cards.

A tour of the new "bat cave" in PoI. I loved the library but this looks really cool.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/01/pe...arters-subway/
    That is the Hurnslice I've come to know. Slightly confused but armed to the teeth and willing to eff you up! - RedRonin

Samaritan capable of doing recruitment through dangerous games somehow freaked me the hell out. Excellent episode.