All-New Member

Default What are Fear Itself really essential issues?

As a follow up to my previous question about Siege (and Journey into Mystery), it seems that I should read Fear Itself alongside Journey into Mystery.
    What are the bare minimum issues I have to read? I'm only really interested in the Asgardian side of things, but I'll read anything that is recommended for a flowing/coherent/entertaining narration.
    Thanks in advance.

While I found the actual event Fear, Itself to be very poor, the tie-ins were EPIC!!! My favourite two were Journey into Mystery and the Thunderbolts (dealing with a prison riot, and a "turned" Juggernaut). Black Panther: Man Without Fear and Uncanny X-men tie-ins were also awesome.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Mighty Member

Best thing about Fear Itself was the Avengers Academy tie-in. The kids see the horror of war for the first time.
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

If you just want the basic beats of the story to give you context for Journey into Mystery, the main mini-series should be fine. You might also want to consider Mighty Thor #7, a Fear Itself epilogue which gets into the origin of the villain and is relevant to Loki's master plan.

Most of the tie-ins revolved around their main characters fighting "The Worthy," heroes and villains transformed by Asgardian artifacts. Some were good and some were bad, but most of them didn't really impact the overall storyline. The Iron Man issues were a bit more central, especially in the later stages of the crossover, but if you're not interested in Iron Man, I think you're safe to skip them.

All-New Member

Thanks to all of you. I'll read the mini-series then, and the Journey into Mystery and Avengers Academy tie-ins (mainly because I'm going to read those 2 series; they seem like the best new ones of the post-Siege era). I'll consider the Thunderbolts one. I plan to read Invincible Iron Man... someday, so I'll read the Fear Itself tie-in when I get there. I might consider reading it alongside Fear Itself, but I'm quite afraid of it spoiling previous Invincible series (I really HATE spoilers, and I hate even more when I autospoil myself reading what I shouldn't, be it Internet forums/articles, or "future" issues)
    Last edited by hetchel; 08-11-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Fear Itself made me feel wish I didn't read comics except for the Uncanny X-Men tie ins

All-New Member

Yes, it seems quite unanimous from what I read that Fear Itself is really... terrible . As I said elsewhere, it is one of those things that I NEED to read in order to read what I WANT to read (Journey into Mystery). I'll reconsider the Uncanny X-Men tie-in (2 fellow CBRites can't be wrong, I hope)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    Fear Itself made me feel wish I didn't read comics except for the Uncanny X-Men tie ins

Read the follow-on: Fear Itself-The Fearless, where Sin and Valkyrie compete to retrieve the hammers after the war. It's a fun romp around the Marvel U, had great art, and put the hammers in a much better perspective.