Astonishing Member

Default So how SHOULD Lois be characterized?

It has been talked about at length how Superman should be portrayed (especially after MOS) and I guess because the character has been around for so long and been written by so many different people that has caused people to walk away with different interpretations of the character. But what about Lois who has been around for as long as Superman himself and has gone through the hands of many writers herself even supporting her own book at one point. Personally I've always been a fan of the vindictive, cut throat interpretation myself never really cared for the "army brat" label though seems pointlessly restrictive like "farm boy".
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Interesting question, considering what's happening currently.

More like the supporting character she was in the early S&S years, an observer and witness of Superman’s activities and doings and sometimes critic,
    from a human point of view, of this powerful being who chooses to use his powers in a benign fashion to oppose injustice and criminal oppression.

An investigative journalist with loads of curiosity and lots of courage in following a story which creates the risks where Superman has to intervene.
    Not just a headline chaser or ultra-feminist with agendas but, someone self-contained and confident in herself and what she is able to do
    in the job she has chosen to do without pretention or boastfulness.

Most of the time she helps and supports Superman but, can have disagreements on occasions when
    she believes in other choices he could have made.

I would say the best recorded example of this was the portrayal of Lois by Phyllis Coates in the first season of the
    George Reeves TV Superman series in the 1950’s. She was replaced later by Noel Neill
    who had played the role in the two Columbia Pictures movie serials in 1948 & 1950.
    Neill’s softer approach was also valid and engaged lots of fans but, my preference is for the Phyllis Coates incarnation.

""The most boring conversation is the one where everyone agrees"

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by planetman View Post
    Interesting question, considering what's happening currently.

More like the supporting character she was in the early S&S years, an observer and witness of Superman’s activities and doings and sometimes critic,
    from a human point of view, of this powerful being who chooses to use his powers in a benign fashion to oppose injustice and criminal oppression.

An investigative journalist with loads of curiosity and lots of courage in following a story which creates the risks where Superman has to intervene.
    Not just a headline chaser or ultra-feminist with agendas but, someone self-contained and confident in herself and what she is able to do
    in the job she has chosen to do without pretention or boastfulness.

Most of the time she helps and supports Superman but, can have disagreements on occasions when
    she believes in other choices he could have made.

I would say the best recorded example of this was the portrayal of Lois by Phyllis Coates in the first season of the
    George Reeves TV Superman series in the 1950’s. She was replaced later by Noel Neill
    who had played the role in the two Columbia Pictures movie serials in 1948 & 1950.
    Neill’s softer approach was also valid and engaged lots of fans but, my preference is for the Phyllis Coates incarnation.

I would agree that Phylis Coates is my favorite of the two. One of the reasons the first season of AOS is superior to the rest in my opinion. Now that's not a knock on Noel Neille, as what she was likely asked to deliver was as a consequence of the lighter tone struck season 2 onwards, but Phylis' lois was written better.

My ideal Lois is a combination of Phylis Coates and Erica Durance's Lois with a dash of Margot Kidder.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Now that's a complicated question.
    As you said, The World, there's been many different takes on the character, which fulfilled many different roles, so how she should be characterised technically depends on which version we're talking.
    Now, if the question is "what would be my take on Lois, in a vaccum", well, let's say that I have my own take on her, but it's not necessarily things fans of Lois (as far as you could fit them in one stereotype, anyway) would agree.
    Of course, there's the obvious. Lois is an intrepid and incredibly gifted reporter, someone who never backs down from a story no matter what and believes in her job. But I've always felt that Lois was meant to be a foil to Superman/Clark Kent's idealism (instead of his "anchor to humanity" or whatever has been said in other circumstances). To me, she often comes across as somewhat of a cynic, or at least a pragmatist, someone who deep down has a good heart and a solid core of values, but tends to see the negative aspect of things because she has seen stuff as a reporter (you know, the murders, the corporate executives who get away with it, the uncaring police force). Basically, she's a good person who hates injustice, but I don't think she's someone who sees the best in people, and if she does, it's as wasted potential. In a sense, I see her as what TvTropes would call a "Knight in Sour Armor". She does the right thing, but doesn't believe it's going to make a difference.
    And to me, that sort of infers her relation with Clark and Superman.
    With Clark because he still openly shows that idealism she has buried somewhere within. That annoys her to no end, and I think that it explains why she tends to be dismissive of him, at least at first. Basically, she thinks he's a naive hick from who knows where who hasn't figured out how the world works and will change his tune soon enough. Once she realizes that he's basically a good reporter in his own right and that he sticks to his guns even when confronted to the ugliness of the world, she respects him, and they become friendly rivals (and then possibly something more). But I don't see them starting on good terms.
    With Superman, I think she starts out as sceptical. She sees this godlike figure spending his time selflessely helping others and her first reaction is "where's the catch". As time goes on, she realizes that there's none, and she becomes more of a supporter. In a sense, Superman (and Clark to a lesser extend) bring back her "lost" idealism and she starts to believe again that the world can be changed for the better. And she happens she happens to have a nice big crush on the guy because he's pretty much a hunk in tights who's also a good person and tends to save her when she's in trouble. She will never admit in public, though, especially not to f.cking Clark.
    I also think that Superman is attracted to her because -appart from the fact she's a good looking tough no nonsense reporter with principles who never backs down- he sees that idealism and relates to it. But sometimes he finds her incredibly annoying.
    So, that's about it. You can start throwing fruits now.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=Auguste Dupin;1414965]Now that's a complicated question.
    As you said, The World, there's been many different takes on the character, which fulfilled many different roles, so how she should be characterised technically depends on which version we're talking.
    Now, if the question is "what would be my take on Lois, in a vaccum", well, let's say that I have my own take on her, but it's not necessarily things fans of Lois (as far as you could fit them in one stereotype, anyway) would agree.
    Of course, there's the obvious. Lois is an intrepid and incredibly gifted reporter, someone who never backs down from a story no matter what and believes in her job. But I've always felt that Lois was meant to be a foil to Superman/Clark Kent's idealism (instead of his "anchor to humanity" or whatever has been said in other circumstances). To me, she often comes across as somewhat of a cynic, or at least a pragmatist, someone who deep down has a good heart and a solid core of values, but tends to see the negative aspect of things because she has seen stuff as a reporter (you know, the murders, the corporate executives who get away with it, the uncaring police force). Basically, she's a good person who hates injustice, but I don't think she's someone who sees the best in people, and if she does, it's as wasted potential. In a sense, I see her as what TvTropes would call a "Knight in Sour Armor". She does the right thing, but doesn't believe it's going to make a difference.
    And to me, that sort of infers her relation with Clark and Superman.
    With Clark because he still openly shows that idealism she has buried somewhere within. That annoys her to no end, and I think that it explains why she tends to be dismissive of him, at least at first. Basically, she thinks he's a naive hick from who knows where who hasn't figured out how the world works and will change his tune soon enough. Once she realizes that he's basically a good reporter in his own right and that he sticks to his guns even when confronted to the ugliness of the world, she respects him, and they become friendly rivals (and then possibly something more). But I don't see them starting on good terms.
    With Superman, I think she starts out as sceptical. She sees this godlike figure spending his time selflessely helping others and her first reaction is "where's the catch". As time goes on, she realizes that there's none, and she becomes more of a supporter. In a sense, Superman (and Clark to a lesser extend) bring back her "lost" idealism and she starts to believe again that the world can be changed for the better. And she happens she happens to have a nice big crush on the guy because he's pretty much a hunk in tights who's also a good person and tends to save her when she's in trouble. She will never admit in public, though, especially not to f.cking Clark.
    I also think that Superman is attracted to her because -appart from the fact she's a good looking tough no nonsense reporter with principles who never backs down- he sees that idealism and relates to it. But sometimes he finds her incredibly annoying.
    So, that's about it. You can start throwing fruits now. [\QUOTE]

I kind of share that POV with a few variations.

One, Lois is kind of more interested in recognition than Clark. If both are on the trail of a corrupt person, Clark is looking to bring them down, where as Lois is concerned with her by-line. It's not that she is entirely self-centered, she does good and occasionally even noble things. Lois has just had it driven home to her that if you don't promote yourself then you'll be taken for granted.

Two, her relationship with Clark is sort of a series of disappointments. Everytime she thinks she sees a hint of Clark getting a backbone he reverts to type. If she suspects he is Superman she is a bit puzzled by why he acts so badly as Clark. If she doesn't suspect then the few times Clark is forced to act heroically when he can't slip away to change, give Lois the idea that Clark is not living up to his potential. Either way Lois finds herself admiring Clark one minute and embarrassed for/by him the next.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post

I kind of share that POV with a few variations.

One, Lois is kind of more interested in recognition than Clark. If both are on the trail of a corrupt person, Clark is looking to bring them down, where as Lois is concerned with her by-line. It's not that she is entirely self-centered, she does good and occasionally even noble things. Lois has just had it driven home to her that if you don't promote yourself then you'll be taken for granted.
    I actually agree with your first point, at least to an extend. To me, it's not so much that she cares only about her by-line (if she feels someone needs to be brought down, she will do it), but she wants to be recognised for her accomplishments, while Clark doesn't care at all about that.
    I will add one more thing while I'm at it: I think that Lois' biggest flaw as a person is that she's extremely brillant...and she's completely aware of it. And that makes her somewhat arrogant. Not on Lex Luthor's level, don't get me wrong, but she's so used to be right that she won't admit her mistakes unless they're litterally staring her in the face.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    I actually agree with your first point, at least to an extend. To me, it's not so much that she cares only about her by-line (if she feels someone needs to be brought down, she will do it), but she wants to be recognised for her accomplishments, while Clark doesn't care at all about that.
    I will add one more thing while I'm at it: I think that Lois' biggest flaw as a person is that she's extremely brillant...and she's completely aware of it. And that makes her somewhat arrogant. Not on Lex Luthor's level, don't get me wrong, but she's so used to be right that she won't admit her mistakes unless they're litterally staring her in the face.
    I didn't mean to imply that Lois wouldn't be working to bring down the corrupt. I meant it more as Clark's overriding interest was simply that the guy is brought down. Lois is looking to bring him down but is also looking at how it plays out for her story. Clark would have no problem in most cases if Lois or any other reporter gets the credit as long as at the end of the day the bad guy is brought low. Lois wants to be the one who plays a major role in that takedown or at the very least to be the first one to get and report the details. The original Lois had a need to prove herself as a woman in a man's world. I'd say in modern terms she still has that same drive to prove herself but without having it tied to her gender.

And I'm not sure I'd see Lois as the type to seldom be wrong as much as a person who doesn't easily admit her mistakes because like her bylines she sees a need to be right as part of her image. She'd be someone who at points would defend her opinions even when she saw they were wrong if she thought that the only other option was to open the door to derision. In a friendly conversation she'd back down or admit to not being 100% sure. But if it's a heated argument or someone she sees as a rival she won't give them the satisfaction of admitting they got it right and she didn't.

I'd say if we were going back to the Clark's secret identity take- Lois might have passed up some clues simply because she refused to accept that she had ever been fooled. A week into knowing both of them she'd be thinking "There is no way Superman has been working in my office for a week without my noticing" and the longer it took her to start suspecting the more she'd be reluctant to admit she'd not seen it earlier. And if she was initially taken in by the charm of someone like Businessman Luthor it would be harder to make her see his flaws than if she disliked him from the moment they met.

That to me would be Lois' major flaw- a lack of faith in herself at points that manifests as overconfidence. She has to be not only a good reporter, she has to be the best. She can see through lies like Superman sees through walls, so if she didn't pick up on something it must not have been there. And all of this is intensified if she thinks you are looking. Lois on her own thinks "Jumping in the trunk of the getaway car wasn't a bright idea" but if Superman, Perry or a cop calls her on that she'll claim it was necessary.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    It has been talked about at length how Superman should be portrayed (especially after MOS) and I guess because the character has been around for so long and been written by so many different people that has caused people to walk away with different interpretations of the character. But what about Lois who has been around for as long as Superman himself and has gone through the hands of many writers herself even supporting her own book at one point. Personally I've always been a fan of the vindictive, cut throat interpretation myself never really cared for the "army brat" label though seems pointlessly restrictive like "farm boy".
    army brat is one of the coolest things about lois. it shows that she is a rebel that doesn't like to follow orders just because she have to. she is her own woman. also it give her chance to be good with guns, piloting helicopters and being good fighting

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I didn't mean to imply that Lois wouldn't be working to bring down the corrupt. I meant it more as Clark's overriding interest was simply that the guy is brought down. Lois is looking to bring him down but is also looking at how it plays out for her story. Clark would have no problem in most cases if Lois or any other reporter gets the credit as long as at the end of the day the bad guy is brought low. Lois wants to be the one who plays a major role in that takedown or at the very least to be the first one to get and report the details. The original Lois had a need to prove herself as a woman in a man's world. I'd say in modern terms she still has that same drive to prove herself but without having it tied to her gender.
    I agree with this. Lois does genuinely want to use her skills to help people but she simultaneously does seek recognition for the good she does day to day which puts her more in common with the average person vs the superheroes who are expected to do what they do without wanting glory. She wants to be seen as the best at what she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    army brat is one of the coolest things about lois. it shows that she is a rebel that doesn't like to follow orders just because she have to. she is her own woman. also it give her chance to be good with guns, piloting helicopters and being good fighting
    Yeah but so does Batman and he has a background of a upper-class socialite.
    Last edited by The World; 08-12-2015 at 06:04 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post

Yeah but so does Batman and he has a background of a upper-class socialite.
    not everyone is a billionaire

I feel like a better way to go with Lois Lane is to make her able to do things that neither Superman nor Clark Kent can do.

These are just some ideas

- Lois Lane is the DCU's equivalent of CNN's Anderson in terms of international fame and reach.

- Lois Lane should not be limited to print media, at all. I'd rather she work for Galaxy Communications as its top star who goes into international crisis zones and interviews respected world leaders and reviled dictators alike,

- Lois Lane is a vastly experienced and accomplished career journalist when Superman makes his public debut. As in, already north of 30 years old. She's significantly older than Clark (but no more than 10 years his senior).

- Lois Lane is a card-carrying member of the NRA, just very reasonable about it. She has a permit to carry concealed weapons, grew up around all kinds of guns and has no personal distaste for them.

- Lois Lane knows a couple different martial arts, including the Israeli Krav Maga

- Lois Lane is as often a critic of Superman as she is his supporter.