Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Default Roy Jones Jr vs. Floyd Mayweather jr.

A bout that's been on my mind for a while now. out of all the boxers i've watched over the years, none have excited or fascinated me more than roy jones. my old man and i had a small discussion about who would win between these two.

so i leave it to you guys.

prime roy vs. prime floyd. weight is equalized. 12 rounds.

who wins?

Last edited by master of read; 08-17-2015 at 03:55 AM.

BANNED

DAMN! Jones Jr. looks like Naseem, Pacquiao and Leonard did HUMAN CENTIPEDE LAGANN IMPACT the way he works! Gonna need to watch him again to come up with an answer, but I don't think Floyd will take the match to begin with. At least not while Jones is in his prime.

Roy Jones in his prime could definitely beat Floyd. he was as fast if not faster than Money. plus he would never allow Floyd to hold him when he got in close. Roy was a Middleweight so the fight would have to be at a catch weight. i don't think the drop in weight would effect him too much as he was always in amazing shape. his speed and size would be too much for Floyd. Jones wins a majority decision.

Joe Calzaghe beat a prime RJJ.

Money would give Joe a call for some sparring sessions to prepare himself against Jones.

Yeah, but Joe beat everybody. And I don't think Joe (or anyone else for that matter) would be inclined to help Mayweather out. He doesn't exactly have a charming personality that engenders help from others.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Roy Jones in his prime could definitely beat Floyd. he was as fast if not faster than Money. plus he would never allow Floyd to hold him when he got in close. Roy was a Middleweight so the fight would have to be at a catch weight. i don't think the drop in weight would effect him too much as he was always in amazing shape. his speed and size would be too much for Floyd. Jones wins a majority decision.
    I think Jones fights taller, is taller, and is the bigger man. Up until now Mayweather's been either bigger, or longer than his opponents and was at least equal in speed. Jones also enjoys a 5cm longer reach and 3" greater height. This time the roles are reversed.

Also, Roy's KO rate is 72%, while Floyd's is 54%.

Looking at match footage Roy is also damned mobile, creative, and most importantly looks to have a very natural, loose and relaxed fighting style that's reminiscent of The Greatest.

From the footage, Roy has a crapload of power. Much more than Pacquiao. His work rate isn't as high, but he is damned, damned accurate.

He also seems to cover a lot of the ring because he's so long.

Tie him up? He'll bash you. He'll fight you while in the clinch. He's damned good at fighting rough and close. He seems to prefer it, actually.

I don't like Floyd's odds. Defensive genius and Philly Shell or not, Roy's willing to risk a lot in order to land his shots. Which he picks well.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

They were never actually close in weight. Maybe they could meet at 170, but Floyd was never that heavy so I don't think he'd try to deal with the power. At a smaller weight class, Jones would have lost his power and gone against faster opponents than say, John Ruiz.

If they were somehow transferred into identical bodies that were made to fight, with height and reach still intact, I think Jones and Mayweather are close in speed and similarly vulnerable to pressure, but Floyd definitely has better defense. I agree that Roy was a little willing to risk, and that's a bad style for fighting Money. I see him coming out aggressive, but in the process covering the gap for Floyd, then scaling back from the jab, like many others. He'd probably try to counter if out maneuvered, but maybe even eats a counter right and gets downed.

Also, I really dig Calzaghe, but he beat Jones and Hopkins out of their primes.

just.............wtf?!?!

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Yeah, that was nice. :) Headgames and fantastic timing.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Yeah, that was nice. Headgames and fantastic timing.
    i mean, it's not my first time seeing that clip but it still blows my mind that he did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    They were never actually close in weight. Maybe they could meet at 170, but Floyd was never that heavy so I don't think he'd try to deal with the power. At a smaller weight class, Jones would have lost his power and gone against faster opponents than say, John Ruiz.

If they were somehow transferred into identical bodies that were made to fight, with height and reach still intact, I think Jones and Mayweather are close in speed and similarly vulnerable to pressure, but Floyd definitely has better defense. I agree that Roy was a little willing to risk, and that's a bad style for fighting Money. I see him coming out aggressive, but in the process covering the gap for Floyd, then scaling back from the jab, like many others. He'd probably try to counter if out maneuvered, but maybe even eats a counter right and gets downed.

Also, I really dig Calzaghe, but he beat Jones and Hopkins out of their primes.
    yep. i like Calzaghe but Jones was well past his prime when they fought. but who's to say that Joe hadn't lost a step at that point in his career. either way a far past his prime Jones did put Calzaghe on his butt in the first. but i'd say a prime Jones and Calzaghe could both beat Floyd. De La Hoya was winning the first part of his fight with Mayweather fighting with his height and a good jab but in typical Oscar fashion he tired out by the later rounds. if they could conceivably get down in weight their size and speed would be too much for Floyd.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post

just.............wtf?!?!
    LOL HAND POCKET TECHNIQUE! Looks like that's where Itagaki got it from!

That was some insane hand speed

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    That was some insane hand speed
    Speed and oomph.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Both of which come from not just the use of his arm, but his whole body in that punch. Viewed in slow mo, it's a fantastic example.

Love watching the vids, here. Some fantastic stuff. Thanks for posting them. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate