Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default The Walking Dead (With Spoilers)

If you're new to this thread there are a few important things to keep in mind.

1. We are very opinionated when it comes to the comic.

2. Many of us do discuss the latest issue on the day it comes out, so this thread does contain spoilers.

So let's see if we can pick up where we left off.

We were all discussing the current issue and tossing out our personal theories when it comes to what kind of man Negan is.

I'm sticking with my belief that he's a tweener, and only was doing what he felt needed to be done to lead and survive.

Who wants to go next?
    Last edited by Deviancy; 05-15-2014 at 01:20 PM.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Ok, so the comic has become...interesting. to say the least. Let's say the almighty whitey grand savior rick builds a utopia, how long before government and or military remnants show up to destroy it?

Writer/Editor/Superhero Marc Lombardi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Ok, so the comic has become...interesting. to say the least. Let's say the almighty whitey grand savior rick builds a utopia, how long before government and or military remnants show up to destroy it?
    I think the govt./military remnants would have shown up already, especially after the prison. That sort of event would have managed to get some attention and surely Rick & crew would have encountered a battalion of whatever showed up by then.

I think Negan is what's going to end up rearing his ugly head. The fact that Rick left him alive it's what's going to get nasty at some point. And I also think we're going to see a new focus of "the zombies are the bad guys, not the other humans." So expect some more undead-focused storylines in the coming year.
    Writer / Editor / Production / Talent Acquisition - www.grayhavencomics.com
    Promotions/Social Media - www.shadowlineonline.com
    Twitter - @marclombardi

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Yeah I like Rick but the way kirkman shove his leadership praise down our throat is a little too much. And I don't think it's too late for government remnants to still show up. I'm also fatigued with negan already. I will say this I think it's a bad move to explode/implode yet another community. I think they should move on to something else, something radical but still in tone with the series.

From the feel of things issue 127 will be jump on point in a way.

Regarding the military/government infrastructure; I don't think its going to happen, not after all this time.
    Throw me to the Wolves... And I'll come back leading the Pack.

Yeah, someone is going to kill Negan. Even with the "whole new society" thing, he had just been too much of a stake (because he's way beyond a thorn). I expect Maggie to be the one to do him him for beating Glen to death, no matter what she says. Or any of the other "minor" characters that has lost someone.

Wow, this is sort of what I was expecting last issue to be and I think that helped make it more shocking. That first image of Rick in the book. Kirkman threw me off guard again. Really excited to see how thing go now. Such a 'full' issue.

Now back to monthly waits of agony
    www.grayhavencomics.com
    For Creators, By Creators

Amazing Member

I have to admit I was shocked as well.

I didn't expect him to fast forward things by two years, and I found it odd that Andrea, Rosita, and everyone else looked the same but Rick looked ten years older. It probably was the buzz cut and the bum leg though. However, Negan is having chats from behind bars like I thought he would, just not with who I thought he would. I figured it would be Rick but its Carl instead, and he seems to be rehabilitated.

The latest issue makes me see two paths, one path leads to the comic going down hill fast, the other path leads to the story evolving in an interesting way.

I liked it. This is where I was hoping the comic would go when the A Larger World arc started; to a larger, more developed community.

Two years is a big time skip, but if it was of relative peace, and a whole lot of farming, I'm okay with skipping it. I'm happier to see the post apocalypse grow into something other than fighting and running and struggling. I'm also sure that after 10 years of writing the book Kirkman needed to mix it up for himself a little.

I'm curious to see where Magna and her crew go within the framework. (Magna is an old Scandanavian name, I used to know a woman named Magna when I was a kid) their story could be an interesting one.

I'm sure a lot of people aren't going to enjoy the time skip, but I was okay with it as the ends seem to justify the means, so far.

I was against the idea of a time jump, but I have to admit that I thought this issue was really cool. It wasn't a huge leap but enough of one for us to see some progress in the return to civilization without having to sit through years of it slowly happening. Actually worked well.

This was more of what I was expecting when they first started talking about the A Larger World arc and I think it is a welcome change of pace to see a little different tone in the story then we've been used to. Only gripe is the same as others - Rick doesn't look like Rick at all (and I didn't realize the samurai at the beginning was Jesus either).

Gonna be hard to go back to once a month issues now.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Matt Antony

I think Kirkman made the right decision to timejump. To me things had been getting stale and repetitive for a long while. The Negan arc went on far too long, and the bloke was far too much of a caricature.

Now with their "perfect life" they have way more to protect. And lose.
    Characters can change. And, though I doubt it, I hope something is rotten in the state of Denmark. It all looks a little too perfect.

I think there was one misstep though. As I was nearing the end I'm thinking "this has to finish with a twist" because it had been very straight forward and comfortable. And I figured it ("Negan behind bars talking to a Grimes") out before I ever got to that scene.
    What I'm saying is Kirkman's previous-issue decision to have Rick reveal that he was going to keep Negan around, behind bars, to watch his New World really took the shock out of the ending. If he hadn't tipped his hand on that in the other issue then it would have genuinely took be my surprise, and been way cooler.

It was a nice choice to have a changed Negan - note the lack of swearing. I hope we've lost him as an unreal human being, and gained him as something with some nuance/believability. His situation/role echoes Brian Cox's characters in the ultra-obscure KINGS series, where Cox was the imprisoned former King, and "advisor", to the current King, Ian McShane. I think I'd have preferred the ending with Rick talking to Negan also. It has a little more poetry.

Overall though, I think I see hope for new energy to be injected into the flagging corpse of the franchise.

Lord Hotelier

Well, I'm definitely very interested in seeing what Kirkman has in store. A time jump like this offers a lot of little story threads to tug on as the writer can reach 'into the past' as well as move the narrative forward. With TWD's large cast he could fill several issues with interesting materially simply by showing us brief glimpses into the Kingdom and the Hilltop as well. Oh, and Negan's old followers. The main thing is that Kirkman has to be even more daring now. A time jump is one thing, but he can never really just return to a tight story focusing on the interactions and developments of small, emotional groups. A larger world demands a larger story.

Oh, and Rick needs to shave immediately. This is unacceptable.

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

Wow, 127 was surprisingly good. To echo others, this is more what I was looking for when they first found Alexandria and the Hilltop and before Negan sidetracked everything. I really like this concept and new setting, and I find it really interesting. I was also strongly against a massive, status-quo-changing time jump, but 2 years of relative peace while they refine what they've been working on really worked very well. I must agree with others, though... Rick needs to shave! He looks gaunter, too, probably from not being able to exercise as much. I like that he has finally, grudgingly, accepted his leadership role. I also didn't recognize the samurai was supposed to be Jesus. I'm not sure if that's my fault or Adlard's. :P

The Negan thing wasn't a huge shock, but what's worse...hipster Carl! Ughhh!! I also couldn't help but be reminded of a parallel. Magna agreeing to give up their weapons while looking at a smiling benevolent Rick welcoming them in was very reminiscent of a suspicious Rick Grimes and his ragtag group weary from surviving out on the road giving a new community a try...but sneaking around to get their weapons. Very interesting development. I wonder if there will be some role reversal? Anyway, I like this issue a whole lot better than the end of the total war arc.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    I was against the idea of a time jump, but I have to admit that I thought this issue was really cool. It wasn't a huge leap but enough of one for us to see some progress in the return to civilization without having to sit through years of it slowly happening. Actually worked well.

This was more of what I was expecting when they first started talking about the A Larger World arc and I think it is a welcome change of pace to see a little different tone in the story then we've been used to. Only gripe is the same as others - Rick doesn't look like Rick at all (and I didn't realize the samurai at the beginning was Jesus either).

Gonna be hard to go back to once a month issues now.
    That's what I liked. The jump was used effectively for what would have been a pretty boring chunk of time to read about: the rebuilding, peace and a new society forming. The same beats are covere but we're thrust right into it
    www.grayhavencomics.com

Quote Originally Posted by impulseucf View Post
    Wow, 127 was surprisingly good. To echo others, this is more what I was looking for when they first found Alexandria and the Hilltop and before Negan sidetracked everything. I really like this concept and new setting, and I find it really interesting. I was also strongly against a massive, status-quo-changing time jump, but 2 years of relative peace while they refine what they've been working on really worked very well. I must agree with others, though... Rick needs to shave! He looks gaunter, too, probably from not being able to exercise as much. I like that he has finally, grudgingly, accepted his leadership role. I also didn't recognize the samurai was supposed to be Jesus. I'm not sure if that's my fault or Adlard's. :P

The Negan thing wasn't a huge shock, but what's worse...hipster Carl! Ughhh!! I also couldn't help but be reminded of a parallel. Magna agreeing to give up their weapons while looking at a smiling benevolent Rick welcoming them in was very reminiscent of a suspicious Rick Grimes and his ragtag group weary from surviving out on the road giving a new community a try...but sneaking around to get their weapons. Very interesting development. I wonder if there will be some role reversal? Anyway, I like this issue a whole lot better than the end of the total war arc.
    Very good point.
    www.grayhavencomics.com