Quote Originally Posted by KROENEN View Post
I felt like I would have enjoyed the original ending he had planned, just not on the issue he had planned it. I enjoy the idea of a bleak, nihilistic ending where the living dead win; seems more keeping with the horror legacy of Romero's series, like maybe how Day of the Dead ends with them simply moving on an island and not worrying about saving humanity or understanding the plague. And even after reading the entire series since the beginning I don't buy all the post-mortem Rick praise, seemed pretty heavy handed and hollow.
Under Rick's leadership, several communities were freed from despotism and joined a larger community forged by his people, then made contact with another large community, and was instrumental in staving off a revolt. Then he died, and in dying was honored by both communities as it founder. Can you say that Washington really did more? I think not. GW was just a General.

Yeah, it totally rings true to me. Rick's death was the cement that held everything together. It makes sense.