Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Yeah, that was a good one. I like when Kirkman splits narrative like that. He's done it a couple times to great effect. I wish he would do it more.

Spoilers follow, obviously.

Some characters that have been around a while, but none that were especially developed characters. Rosita is a rough one, and Ezekiel, but only because they mean something to other characters, than anything to us. Maybe that's different for other people, but that's how I felt. I was wondering if we'd get Andrea or Michonne up there. I thought Andrea, as we'd clearly been trolled into expecting Michonne, with the upcoming covers, and that panel of just dreads in shadow before the page turn. Kirkman is the biggest troll, so I figured at worst it would be Andrea not Michonne who died in this issue.

I still wonder if Alpha's daughter is playing the long con. I don't know why, I guess it's just always felt off. She's an easy 'victim' to pity, and Alpha's turn in sending her away didn't fit her character up to this point. I'd fallen into trusting her, but this issue made me rethink that. But, unless their protocol upon capture is to pretend to want out so you can learn about your capture, her being a spy would be kind of bad writing, given her capture couldn't really have been planned.
    Although I have tried to talk around it, the following could be considered spoiler material.

All that about the daughter is true. Everything she told Carl sounds designed to pull his strings, especially the rape situation. And the way she kept trying to get Carl to leave could mean that she didn't want to be put in the position to betray him. But if Alpha wanted the girl to be trusted, she went about it the wrong way.

I suspect that everything is what it seems and that for all her talk, Alpha has doubts, especially after seeing Rick's society. I don't think she even believed what his people has accomplished was possible deep down, and is stewing in a deep pit of denial. I think that's why she did them all this way. Survival of the fittest means that if her way is wrong, it deserves to be taken down. So she made a move that was both a warning and an invitation to war, and left the decision up to Rick.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thetrellan View Post

I suspect that everything is what it seems and that for all her talk, Alpha has doubts, especially after seeing Rick's society. I don't think she even believed what his people has accomplished was possible deep down, and is stewing in a deep pit of denial. I think that's why she did them all this way. Survival of the fittest means that if her way is wrong, it deserves to be taken down. So she made a move that was both a warning and an invitation to war, and left the decision up to Rick.
    Yep, the group she built is really a patriarchy on steroids (and zombies) in which everything goes as long as it guarantees survival; but what Rick accomplishes proves everything she did- including letting her daughter getting raped (which ISN'T a lie, IMO, I don't think the mother is that much of an actress)- wasn't all that necessary, and a more civilized society was possible.

I'm thinking she's hoping for a suicide-by-cop (well, literally in Rick's case) for her society; or if she wins, she'd tell herself she was right all along. It's a twisted win-win scenario for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Yep, the group she built is really a patriarchy on steroids (and zombies) in which everything goes as long as it guarantees survival; but what Rick accomplishes proves everything she did- including letting her daughter getting raped (which ISN'T a lie, IMO, I don't think the mother is that much of an actress)- wasn't all that necessary, and a more civilized society was possible.

I'm thinking she's hoping for a suicide-by-cop (well, literally in Rick's case) for her society; or if she wins, she'd tell herself she was right all along. It's a twisted win-win scenario for her.
    Damn, no like button when you need one.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post

That was my take on Alpha's mixed messages to Rick. She puts on quite the Alpha front to her pack, even if it means killing a dozen members of the four communities who are part of the fair. What she saw at the fair, and what it means for Lydia, has brought out a more human side of her, even though it was brief.

Hopefully Negan joins in whatever fight comes against Alpha's pack and horde. He hates rape, so I imagine that alone will make him see red.

If Rick's answer is "lets get Negan and sick him on them" - not sure if I would be shocked or pleased, or a bit of both.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

My money is on a Negan redemption as the war against the Whisperers brings about a (probably uneasy) alliance between Rick and Negan... But as long as 'Lucille' gets to smash a few more skulls, I don't care how the social drama plays out. Kill or be killed. Let's get that bat back in action!

I actually think that Negan is about to be executed. Maggie and Andrea are going to gang up on Rick about his anti-death penalty stance and they are going to kill Negan in issue #150 before attacking the Whispers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I actually think that Negan is about to be executed. Maggie and Andrea are going to gang up on Rick about his anti-death penalty stance and they are going to kill Negan in issue #150 before attacking the Whispers.
    If you ask me, and I know you wanted to and just didn't know it, I think Negan will escape and try to team up with the Whisperers, who will be lethally unfriendly to him. Maybe that will involve an abortive execution attempt, maybe not.

This issue was great.
    spoilers:
    Last issue was a shocker, but this issue might have been even better. The reveal of the 12 deaths last month didn't give us any time to grieve, so this was the issue where I got to reflect and shed tears for the fallen comrades. It is hard to cry for Ezekiel personally, but when I am watching Michonne cry for Ezekiel, then I feel similarly moved.

Also, this is the beginning of the end, huh? Is it bad if I can't wait for Alexandria to fall and the series to return to life on the road and homelessness?
    end of spoilers

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

Wow, shit just got crazy. I'm a little disappointed in some regards like others because I found the new status quo interesting, but it now appears to be back to business as usual. On the other hand...I want Michonne to cut Alpha's heart out! Uggghhhh. Maybe Negan will get to play. Of course knowing Kirkman, this could all backfire and the gang could get their asses handed to them. I do hope the entire civilization doesn't just get burned to the ground to knock them back to square one. I like the rebuilding of civilization and I hope that sticks around and that the struggle going forward is more dealing with people like the Whisperers in a peaceful society. It almost has a Roman empire and barbarian hordes kind of vibe. I wonder if that is what he was going for?

I kind of figured the time skip was sort of so we could get back to business as usual instead of sitting around watching them build houses and shit.

The Whisperers are at least a different type of foe, and I'm very curious to learn more about them. They're far more interesting to me than the overly long Negan saga.

I'm just excited because whatever happens, Alexandria and the crew is going to be facing the biggest herd in the series history. Now it could be that they try and sabotage the herd in some way. Either way they need to deal with that big stockpile now.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ysemaj View Post
    Kirkman blasted the comic out of the water this week, one of the best issues of the run so far. The horizontal divide of the panelling with the head at the top and people talking about them at the bottom was just.... wow.
    I know right?!! That is one of my favorite comic book moments of all time. Robert Kirkman wrote the hell out of this issue. I liked how no one in the safe zone realized what was going on. They were just wondering or even infuriated with their absence. I also loved their reaction in the next issue when they all found out about who died. Especially with how Michone reacted to Ezekiel's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Yeah, that was a good one. I like when Kirkman splits narrative like that. He's done it a couple times to great effect. I wish he would do it more.

Spoilers follow, obviously.

Some characters that have been around a while, but none that were especially developed characters. Rosita is a rough one, and Ezekiel, but only because they mean something to other characters, than anything to us. Maybe that's different for other people, but that's how I felt. I was wondering if we'd get Andrea or Michonne up there. I thought Andrea, as we'd clearly been trolled into expecting Michonne, with the upcoming covers, and that panel of just dreads in shadow before the page turn. Kirkman is the biggest troll, so I figured at worst it would be Andrea not Michonne who died in this issue.

I still wonder if Alpha's daughter is playing the long con. I don't know why, I guess it's just always felt off. She's an easy 'victim' to pity, and Alpha's turn in sending her away didn't fit her character up to this point. I'd fallen into trusting her, but this issue made me rethink that. But, unless their protocol upon capture is to pretend to want out so you can learn about your capture, her being a spy would be kind of bad writing, given her capture couldn't really have been planned.
    I suppose it would have been nicer if they did add a few more longer running/ more likeable characters. However we would be left with any one left if they killed of characters like Michone or Andrea. I'm just grateful that Robert Kirkman raised the stakes by having so many characters get killed off in such a brutal way. Especially considering Ezekiel was one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zartan's Brother View Post
    Let's call a spade a spade: none of Kirkman's antagonists in this book have been especially morally complex villains. Shane, Thomas, The Governor, the Hunters, Doc Pete, Negan... I think the two most "gray" antagonists so far have been Dexter and Dwight, and the former bit it pretty quickly.
    I don't think that's true at all. I love the Governor. He's one of my most recent favorite villains. I love how sadistic and humorous the character was. However I do agree that he's still a disgusting character when it comes to the "rape" thing. On plus side, him doing that made his punishment the all the more satisfying and easily the most well deserved one ever. I don't just mean his death, but also the way Michone mutilated him, which led up to "Made to Suffer".

I also like Negan and the Hunters.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    Especially considering Ezekiel was one of them.
    Y'know, I am mad that Kirkman thought Ezekiel was the most upsetting death, when we've known Rosita for years longer. Rosita's head gets a tiny little panel and Ezekiel steals the full page spread. Just because you sold a few "Ezekiel Has A Tiger" shirts doesn't make him the superior character. Maybe it's just because Abraham was my all time favorite character and she was my closest connection to him. Also, 'Zeke wasn't preggo, either. They killed lil baby Eugene (or baby Negan, depending on what fringe theory you support about the paternity).

Ezekiel was given more prominence because he mattered to Michonne, not us. Michonne was in the scene, so.

What's this Negan's kid thing? How would it be Negan's kid? Am I missing something?