Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    How Image "actually operates"?

Hopefully, Image actually operates like a business that wishes to remain in business.

Losing 14% of your Top 300 sales is a big deal. I didn't mean to imply that Image wants market share just for the bragging rights.

The loss of Walking Dead coupled with Saga being on hiatus until Part 2 begins leaves major holes in Image's publishing schedule that are not so easily fixed.

The loss of Walking Dead bleeds out to the comics stores themselves who are now faced with the loss of the top selling Indie comic in an already down market.
    Again, it seems like you have a lack of insight into how Image actually remains in business.

Being able to maintain the sales of titles independent of what any other title is doing it at the core of what they do in order to successfully remain is business. You seem to be operating under the flawed assumption that they are operating in the same fashion that DC/Marvel do.

Nothing could be further from the actual truth.

You are discussing holes that need to be "Fixed..." when the company operates in a fashion that makes whatever your believe needs to be "Fixed..." into an utter non-issue.

As for shops, titles have ended all throughout the history of the direct market. Accounting for that these shops managed to get by before the title we are discussing, I don't see things turning into the end of The Wild Bunch once this title comes to a close.

Never mind that it assumes that The Walking Dead readers were making "Impulse..." entrances into reading other Image titles. Which is on incredibly shaky ground with no facts to point to it actually being the case.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 07-02-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Again, it seems like you have a lack of insight into how Image actually remains in business.

Being able to maintain the sales of titles independent of what any other title is doing it at the core of what they do in order to successfully remain is business. You seem to be operating under the flawed assumption that they are operating in the same fashion that DC/Marvel do.

Nothing could be further from the actual truth.

You are discussing holes that need to be "Fixed..." when the company operates in a fashion that makes whatever your believe needs to be "Fixed..." into an utter non-issue.

As for shops, titles have ended all throughout the history of the direct market. Accounting for that these shops managed to get by before the title we are discussing, I don't see things turning into the end of The Wild Bunch once this title comes to a close.

Never mind that it assumes that The Walking Dead readers were making "Impulse..." entrances into reading other Image titles. Which is on incredibly shaky ground with no facts to point to it actually being the case.

I am under the assumption that Image operates in the "fashion" of Gross Revenue minus Expenses equals Profit. The way every other company on Planet Earth operates. Less Revenue at the top line means less Profit at the bottom line. This is bad for any company including Image. There is no such thing as "It doesn't matter that we're taking in less Revenue." It always matters.

The loss of Walking Dead might not affect the profitability of another title, but it does affect the profitability of the company as a whole. Image, as a company, still has overhead -- company officer and staff salaries to pay, offices to rent, equipment to buy and maintain, etc. A way to offset the loss in Revenue is to cut Expenses, which might mean job losses, salary freezes, and the like.

Any company that loses its best-selling product is going to be adversely affected.

On the other hand, if you have real details on the inner workings of Image that could allow it to lose its best-selling title and just go along as if nothing has happened, please feel free to share what you know.

I am under the assumption that Image operates in the "fashion" of Gross Revenue minus Expenses equals Profit. The way every other company on Planet Earth operates. Less Revenue at the top line means less Profit at the bottom line. This is bad for any company including Image. There is no such thing as "It doesn't matter that we're taking in less Revenue." It always matters.

The loss of Walking Dead might not affect the profitability of another title, but it does affect the profitability of the company as a whole. Image, as a company, still has overhead -- company officer and staff salaries to pay, offices to rent, equipment to buy and maintain, etc. A way to offset the loss in Revenue is to cut Expenses, which might mean job losses, salary freezes, and the like.

Any company that loses its best-selling product is going to be adversely affected.

On the other hand, if you have real details on the inner workings of Image that could allow it to lose its best-selling title and just go along as if nothing has happened, please feel free to share what you know.
    Again, everything you are saying sounds like you are talking about DC/Marvel.

As for the real details, keep an eye on every day after tomorrow.

Yep. Numberthirty is 100% correct. Image is less a corporation and more a co-op for creators to produce their own work. The only person losing money on this is Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard. Image charges a flat fee for production and an "office" fee which covers their overhead. They make no more money on The Walking Dead as they do, I don't know Revival. Or Manifest Destiny or what have you, but they'll have another title to pay the fee right afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Yep. Numberthirty is 100% correct. Image is less a corporation and more a co-op for creators to produce their own work. The only person losing money on this is Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard. Image charges a flat fee for production and an "office" fee which covers their overhead. They make no more money on The Walking Dead as they do, I don't know Revival. Or Manifest Destiny or what have you, but they'll have another title to pay the fee right afterwards.
    In particular, the idea(which seems to be a part of the most likely non-existent "Issue" we are discussing...) that there is much of a "Image As A Publisher..." expense that needs to be maintained is something that I would doubt unless someone can point to an instance where it has been an issue.

Never mind the idea that losing a single title would make it more(or less) difficult for Image to maintain. For all we know, the company could lose a quarter of the titles it currently publishes and it would make no difference in it's ability to be able to make ends meet.

Let alone "Profitability..." When it comes to this company, it's almost hard not to laugh when someone brings that up while talking about Image.

Come to think of it, let's take just this and try to gauge how up to speed you are on Image and how they operate.

The title Moonshine. Tell me what you know about that title.

All Image books are creator-owned. Image just charge creators a flat fee to cover printing and admin costs, so in effect they make no more money off of sales of their best-selling title in floppies as they do their lowest.

Astonishing Member

I thought it was a joke. But once you get to the last page and you see a great big "The End" staring back at you, it hits you. Image if this had just come out with no one knowing it was the end? That is Bobby Ewing in the shower level surprise.

Have retailers not already put in orders for #194 and #195? Seems like a bit of a dick move to do a fake out.

I wish I hadn't heard the news yesterday, but even so that was still an emotional read - both the story itself and the letter from Kirkman at the end. I don't mind admitting I welled up a little. Twice.

So long to one of the best comics ever created, and much love and appreciation to everyone involved in putting it in our hands every month. Time to dust off the trades and start a re-read.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

How Image "actually operates"?

Hopefully, Image actually operates like a business that wishes to remain in business.

Losing 14% of your Top 300 sales is a big deal. I didn't mean to imply that Image wants market share just for the bragging rights.

The loss of Walking Dead coupled with Saga being on hiatus until Part 2 begins leaves major holes in Image's publishing schedule that are not so easily fixed.

The loss of Walking Dead bleeds out to the comics stores themselves who are now faced with the loss of the top selling Indie comic in an already down market.
    Comic Stores will feel it starting with the last issue many would had ordered more if they knew just for those impulse buyers who hear Walking Dead is ending and thing is impulse buyers are just that impulse buyers they ain't coming back when the reorder eventually comes in.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Honestly this is a stroke of genius. End it at a random number and continuing to solicit issues till the final one comes out was pretty brilliant. I'm just sad someone spoiled it the day before. I can't get my issue till next week but it would have been nice if they had kept it a surprise. Ducking Bleeding Cool
    We ran the story with full spoiler warnings. 12 in fact.

I have to say I've been a fan of the show but never read the comic (I intended to catch up on digital copies eventually but haven't done it yet). I've never heard anything but good things about it and I'm sad to hear it's ending.

That said, I wish the show would come to an end. It went from being one of my favorite shows to now I really could care less about it. I will finish the series out of habit but honestly feel like it ran out of steam a long time ago.

Now if someone could talk Kirkman into reviving INVINCIBLE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    We ran the story with full spoiler warnings. 12 in fact.
    Yep... can't fault Bleeding Cool for that! They did spoiler it and it is NEWS. I'm sure 100 other sites probably have it as well by now.

I'm upset at this. I wish the final arc was better.

I'm just not feeling any closure to majority of the characters, it doesn't feel planned at all. It's so abrupt.