Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I actually liked All Out War (since I read most of it in trade, it didn't feel as drawn out), but the new direction is fantastic. It's still a zombie survival story, but we're seeing the post-apocalyptic world growing and developing along with the characters now, which is great. We didn't need another stretch of Rick % Co. on the run or finding a new community. Having them BE the community now? Very nice.

It was nice to see how so many of the mains from pre-127 are doing, although Carl's got a terrible fashion sense. Hopefully Magna and her group stick around, because I really like her as a second generation Rick.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zartan's Brother View Post
    I actually liked All Out War (since I read most of it in trade, it didn't feel as drawn out
    I picked up the trade containing the first 6 parts of "All Out War" a month or two back, and you're right, in trade format it didn't feel as drawn out. The trade with the second half recently came out, so I'll order it sooner or later.

As for the current story line, while Magna may have potential, right now I find her to be rather one dimensional. To be fair, Abraham just came off as a GI Joe like character at first and got interesting, and Andrea got a lot more interesting as time went on. There have only been a few characters have won me over right away and those characters would be Rick, Tyreese, Phillip, Negan, and Michonne. But to be fair, Michonne only won me over at first because she came off creepy at first so I was really curious to see where things were going to go with her. Sadly, after the war with Woodsbury, she got a little bleh. The show version of Michonne however seems to have a bit more depth.
    Last edited by Deviancy; 08-04-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Well that was interesting. I'm pretty sure we're getting trolled, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Well that was interesting. I'm pretty sure we're getting trolled, though.
    I HOPE to God that we are getting trolled. Talking Walkers would be the worst thing....

It's a cliffhanger. How often do those pan out? I just can't see Kirkman doing that.

Amazing Member

It's probably not going to be true, but I kind of wish it was. It could be awful if not handled well, but it think it could be an interesting way to go if it was well written. It could lead to a situation like the end of I Am Legend (the book)

Amazing Member

It better not be true.

It worked in Return of the Living Dead because it was a comedy but in serious zombie horror flicks, those flicks deservedly went direct to video because they were crap.

What I'd like to see is the guy get diagnosed with some form of mental illness which caused him to imagine what he thought he heard. In short, I'm saying it would be very progressive if the Walking Dead tackled mental health directly since it is a very, very big issue in the US right now. There are almost as many, if not more suicides, usually due to mental health now than traffic fatalities, and one in ten Americans is on some type of anti depressant, so imagine how bad mental illness would be in the world of TWD. It would open the door to some new serious issue for the world of Grimes' to have to deal with. Yes, Kirkman has touched on mental illness but in a very simplistic way, I'm saying he should borrow a page from the novels and really dig in like they dug into Brian/Phillip's psyche. But he had that other guy co-writing with him so it could have been the other guy who had more insight on mental health.
    Last edited by Deviancy; 08-13-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    Funny Books That Currently Have My Attention (for now): Can't think of a single one...

Spectacular Member

I thought the implication on the page was that both Ken and Marco heard the voices, right? If the zombies are going to start talking, then I imagine a number of zombie "purists" are going to jump ship since it's not a usual part of zombie lore. Personally, I just hope it's handled well, whatever it is.

Also, no comments on Magna vs. Negan? She schooled him pretty hard, but to be fair he wasn't lying very convincingly.

Amazing Member

It was implied they both heard the voices but for all we know, the one who made it back imagined they both heard the voices. For all we know, this man went fruit loops and not only imagined he heard them talk but killed the other man. I mean it would make sense that both men would be suffering from post traumatic stress, since they ended up in a very, very bad spot which would cause the brain to go haywire. But I'm being optimistic and thinking Kirkman isn't stupid enough to do the talking thing. It's just to late in the series for such a thing, I mean why would they start talking after all this time but never before? And besides, the ones that would be the most talkative would be the ones who just turned, and they've been around numerous people who turned before their eyes and they didn't say a word.

Rick still needs to grow his hair back and shave the beard, he needs to look like a leader, not a sloth. Plus, his reasoning was stupid since it was proven years ago that celebrities can shave their head and change their look but still get spotted. But I guess Rick never bothered to watch TMZ before the outbreak.
    Funny Books That Currently Have My Attention (for now): Can't think of a single one...

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zartan's Brother View Post
    I thought the implication on the page was that both Ken and Marco heard the voices, right? If the zombies are going to start talking, then I imagine a number of zombie "purists" are going to jump ship since it's not a usual part of zombie lore.
    I am a zombie purist, and I am all for this, as TWD is not a traditional zombie title. But I think it will be more along the lines of Ken and Marco not hearing the walkers talking, but understanding their grunts and moans.

Spend enough time engulfed in another culture, you will eventually start to understand it.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Glad Magna saw through Negan's act. Makes me more interested to learn more about her and her group.

No interest in talking zombies, I hope there is another explanation.

Enjoyed seeing Maggie's group, hopefully we'll see the other communities soon as well.

Quick, but enjoyable, read.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Fake-out cliffhangers are kinda irritating, but I like Magna so would've hated seeing her be stupid and buy into Negan's claims and free him or something so early into her tenure.

The voices are probably going to turn out to be someone(s) herding this particular horde. More protagonists or new antagonists.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    I am a zombie purist, and I am all for this, as TWD is not a traditional zombie title. But I think it will be more along the lines of Ken and Marco not hearing the walkers talking, but understanding their grunts and moans.
    I am also a long-time Romero Zombie purist, hell, I had to ask my LCS to special order the first issue of this book because he had not planned on carrying it. I am actually fine with the Dead talking, a separate evolved/non-devolved version of the the walkers. Kirkman has always hinted for years now, that there was more to the zombie herds and the zombies that just didn't seem active at all, just laying around. Maybe this is an exploration into that. It's different, but different isnt bad if done well. And Kirkman is the best Romero-verse zombie writer ever, so I am willing to let him do what he wants. Hell, even Romero had zombies evolving/non-devolved since his Day of the Dead wen Bub remembered pieces of his past and carried feelings for the Docs who took care of him and hatred for the soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Fake-out cliffhangers are kinda irritating, but I like Magna so would've hated seeing her be stupid and buy into Negan's claims and free him or something so early into her tenure.

The voices are probably going to turn out to be someone(s) herding this particular horde. More protagonists or new antagonists.
    I don't like Magna at all yet, too distrusting for a group of people accepted into a community like this after being alone outside for so long. She can just leave if she distrusts them so much. But I was glad they showed her to be smart enough to read right through Negans story. Also, how great was Negans dejected reaction when he was left alone again?

Love this issue.

Amazing Member

excited to see where this goes. also interesting to see Rick being treated like Tyler Durden.

also, some folks don't seem to know what actual trolling is. something that makes you go "hmmm..." or "wait, that's not right!" is not a troll. it's called a twist. to troll is to bait someone with stupidity and/or misinformation for no other reason than to be a jerk.

examples:
    "she's my sister????" = twist
    "TV Andrea is a way better character than the comic Andrea" = obvious troll.

the whispers, whether they're real or not, are definitely not just for kicks.

the whispers.

the whiiiissspers...

yeah, it's most likely a walker shepherd or something like that.
    here come the surveyors...here come all the surveyors

Quote Originally Posted by joshuastar View Post
    excited to see where this goes. also interesting to see Rick being treated like Tyler Durden.

also, some folks don't seem to know what actual trolling is. something that makes you go "hmmm..." or "wait, that's not right!" is not a troll. it's called a twist. to troll is to bait someone with stupidity and/or misinformation for no other reason than to be a jerk.

examples:
    "she's my sister????" = twist
    "TV Andrea is a way better character than the comic Andrea" = obvious troll.

the whispers, whether they're real or not, are definitely not just for kicks.

the whispers.

the whiiiissspers...

yeah, it's most likely a walker shepherd or something like that.
    I think it is humans who like Michonne figured out a way to move around with zombies - wearing body parts and using that to survive. I don't for once second think the zombies are talking. If they can talk - and they were talking in normal ways not like say Frankenstein's monster (me hungry, see people) which means they have normal human intelligence and could operate a firearm or use tools, etc.

So, no, I don't think the zombies evolved and can talk now in the comic. The whisperers are for sure to my estimation humans who hide via the Michonne method. The end of the book was not even that freaky to me - so it was kind of a faint and I think a failed one because to a long time reader like myself it seems obvious. I could be wrong, but that's cool.