Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Trying to avoid spoilers as I'm behind but wanted to chime in on something. Just finished 133. Really like the whisperers. Probably the creepiest thing kirkman has come up with in a while.

Incredible Member

I read vols 1-6 last summer and have gone through vols 7-17 during the last week. I think the story actually got much better after the prison and right now I can't wait to see where the whole Negan storyline will go. The book can be pretty gripping but I also have issues with it. In my opinion, most of the characters aren't fleshed out enough for the reader to really care about them (Rick and Carl are the most developed followed by Michonne/Andrea and that's pretty much it). For instance, I believe Glenn biting it in #100 was a big deal and if you've been with that character for years as a reader then perhaps it was a big deal. But if you just marathon the series then the lack of characterization becomes more obvious and I must say that I didn't feel much for Glenn.

Also, Kirkman does not understand subtlety and that's why the characters keep monologuing and explaining what they are currently feeling. And Rick pretty much has a new epiphany and a new speech to go with said epiphany every new arc.

Hope this didn't come off as too harsh. I do enjoy the book and simply wish that Kirkman had maybe evolved a bit more as a writer during the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    I read vols 1-6 last summer and have gone through vols 7-17 during the last week. I think the story actually got much better after the prison and right now I can't wait to see where the whole Negan storyline will go. The book can be pretty gripping but I also have issues with it. In my opinion, most of the characters aren't fleshed out enough for the reader to really care about them (Rick and Carl are the most developed followed by Michonne/Andrea and that's pretty much it). For instance, I believe Glenn biting it in #100 was a big deal and if you've been with that character for years as a reader then perhaps it was a big deal. But if you just marathon the series then the lack of characterization becomes more obvious and I must say that I didn't feel much for Glenn.

Also, Kirkman does not understand subtlety and that's why the characters keep monologuing and explaining what they are currently feeling. And Rick pretty much has a new epiphany and a new speech to go with said epiphany every new arc.

Hope this didn't come off as too harsh. I do enjoy the book and simply wish that Kirkman had maybe evolved a bit more as a writer during the run.
    When I binge read the comic last year, I sometimes thought similar sentiments. But now that I have to wait between issues, the tension is 20x higher and I care a lot more about the characters. You don't really start to love the characters while reading, but while spending a whole month after a cliffhanger worried they will be dead when you get the next issue. Waiting month to month makes the comic feel more like you are in the trenches with them.

Incredible Member

So I'm all caught up now and I'm really excited about the timeskip and the new status quo. I guess the main reason I'm excited is because it seems that it's nearly impossible to go back now (tear down the new civilization, have the characters on the run again - this cycle has repeated itself a number of times now). I'm sure there will still be outside threats and infighting but it would take a serious natural disaster to reset everything (and if that happened then I think that would truly be the jump-the-shark moment of the Walking Dead).

They don't have to tear it down to put characters back out on the road, though. Exploration, long journeys, those things can happen with a home base still intact. Especially as they seem to be moving away from Rick Grimes as the central character.

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post

I imagine his dealings with the TV show will ultimately help with this, although you should be aware that comics writing isn't like writing novels or for television. There are things a comic book can't convey. Having a fantastic artist capable of conveying such subtleties helps, but sometimes the writer simply must tell you what the character is thinking. It must have been easier when third person narration wasn't out of vogue.

A simile would be silent pictures. When I saw all of the characters dancing around (not literally, but constantly), even the horses, I had to laugh. But then I realized that the lack of sound meant that more had to be conveyed through body language alone, and it made sense.

I must say, though, for a writer getting complaints about monologuing, his stories sure do read fast. I have always considered that the mark of a good writer. Unless the writer simply uses fewer words, that is. Which Kirkman doesn't. Ever read Preacher? Amazing story. Every issue took ten minutes flat to read, about half my usual time. Same for Walking Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    They don't have to tear it down to put characters back out on the road, though. Exploration, long journeys, those things can happen with a home base still intact. Especially as they seem to be moving away from Rick Grimes as the central character.
    Hey, you think Rick's time is coming up? Kirkman once said that not even he was safe.
    Last edited by thetrellan; 02-26-2015 at 05:53 PM.

Yes. Kirkman's said that he thinks Carl could carry the book, but 'down the road when he's a bit older'. Not an exact quote, but the age was the qualifier. Now Carl's older, and the focus of the main story in these last issues. And Rick's been largely absent. I assume we're being eased into it.

At the very least, they're testing those waters.

Another Rickless issue. Carl taking the lead role in the book going one step further with this arc. I'd love to see more Andrea, though. At the same time, it's nice having the book switch things up a little.

I like The Whisperers. I like that we still don't really know what role they'll play, but they're definitely not "good guys" in any way this book defines them.

Amazing. I went from laughing my ass off at how pathetic Gregory was to bawling at that heavy ending. The issue covered a great spectrum of emotions.

All-New Member

I do love the feeling of these last few issues and how they've been Carl centric. I wonder where they're going with this. Rick dying has always been a thought in the back of my mind, but I don't think I'm ready for that to happen yet. I also hope nothing bad happens to Carl.

I read somewhere that the next issue is supposed to be a game changer, I wonder what that's supposed to mean. Any ideas?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSJLuffy View Post
    I do love the feeling of these last few issues and how they've been Carl centric. I wonder where they're going with this. Rick dying has always been a thought in the back of my mind, but I don't think I'm ready for that to happen yet. I also hope nothing bad happens to Carl.

I read somewhere that the next issue is supposed to be a game changer, I wonder what that's supposed to mean. Any ideas?
    Well based on the cover, my guess is: spoilers:
    (Since the cover is Rick at a port with what looks like a manned boat sailing towards the shore) I wonder if we won't start to find our survivors making contact with folks from other parts of the east coast, or even other countries. At some point, they'll (hopefully) push towards restoring a global community.
    end of spoilers

Just read #140.
    I think I just experienced what those in the medical community call a panic attack. I'm almost too scared to read #141 when it comes.
    spoilers:
    I just can't watch Alexandria burn and Negan tear down everything Rick just spent years building. Kirkman, please don't break my heart again.
    end of spoilers

Great issue. Last month was a little soap opera-y, but this one really paid off on that set up. That double page spread was fantastic.

Well, they're screwed.

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Just read #140.
    I think I just experienced what those in the medical community call a panic attack. I'm almost too scared to read #141 when it comes.
    spoilers:
    I just can't watch Alexandria burn and Negan tear down everything Rick just spent years building. Kirkman, please don't break my heart again.
    end of spoilers
    Come on, you had to know there was only one reason for keeping him around, and this is it.