Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_Martineau View Post
    I don't know why people always worry about this kind of thing. Or why people think movies influence comics at all. Yes, there is a little tiff between Fox and Marvel right now over it...but in case anybody hasn't noticed, they're in the middle of publishing one of the BIGGEST Fantastic Four/Doom comics ever.

Batman and Robin did not ruin Batman for comics or movies.

X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine did not ruin those characters or comics.

Daredevil did not ruin the character for comics or anything else.

Neither did Ghost Rider.

Neither did the first two Fantastic Four movies.

Spiderman 3 didn't effect anything.

Green Lantern didn't ruin the comic.

And this won't either.

As soon as Marvel receives a good pitch and is ready to pull the trigger, the FF comic will be back. Marvel has the real versions of the characters anyway. Not whatever version was put out on screen last weekend.
    Ding Ding Ding! Correct Answer!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    Nope. Movies don't spike up comic sales when they're good and won't spike down sales or "Tarnish" the brand when they're bad. In case people haven't noticed Green Lantern still gets published and Hal Jordan is still there no matter how much the film sucked. The FF is just getting some needed bed rest like Thor a few years back.

QFT- it's the biggest lie in comics. The movies don't drive new business in any real way.
    Junior Braves of the Apocalypse - NOW AVAILABLE!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I have found the entire arguement about whether Marvel cancelled FF due to the rivary with Fox amusing. Comics sales have little to do with whether a movie fails or succeeds, so it feels like they are shooting themselves in the foot if this is the case as a good movie will lead an untapped market to the book. Also, controversial thought, but I just watched FF today and it is very good. I really enjoyed it. It is no more comic book FF than Nolan's Batman was based on the comic, in fact probably closer as it took from the Ultimate FF, but other than the dodge Doom design that looked too cartoony, the film had a great depth and understanding of the characters in a modern context.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Boisterously Confused

Nutty question: what are the odds that the FF might return consisting solely of the Reed Richards family? Johnny and Ben are being given new homes. I wonder if anybody's pitched an idea of a new FF made up of Reed, Sue, Franklin and Val?

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    No, because Disney announced last year, they would be cancelling the book. 54 years running and the book get's cancelled.
    True. But it's hard to tell whether or not it was canceled because of the movie. Marvel said it was because they were running out of idea's for FF, but they could have lied just to look professional.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    True. But it's hard to tell whether or not it was canceled because of the movie. Marvel said it was because they were running out of idea's for FF, but they could have lied just to look professional.
    Fantastic Four got cancelled at least twice prior with Hickman's run and Fraction's. Then with this cancellation, which really just saw the end of Robinson's run, we went into Secret Wars.

The 54 years deal is a little dramatic.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Fox's films, especially the latest one, has indeed harmed the F4 Brand.

It could have easily been cancelled as a combination of Sales and the fact Ike is a spiteful person

The F4 characters will still appear in other books but... I don't see them getting a team book for a long time if ever.

Could be argued that the F4 movie failing was because it detracted so far from the comic source material. It's box office poison, but I don't think it can affect comic sales. Current/past readers know the movie isn't accurate to the comics, and no new readers get attracted to the comic. Overall there shouldn't be a loss, but no gain either.

Though despite the movie bombing, Fox is still shooting for the sequel in 2017 apparently. At this point, it really is pettiness that keeps Fox from selling the rights back to Marvel.

How would a general audience know how different it was

They don't even know F4 isn't part of the MCU, which is the bigger threat IMO.

Like I said, you don't attract new readers, but you don't lose old readers who know better. There's no net loss to the comics because of the movie, it just doesn't help it at all.

Spectacular Member

No F4 like Superman hasn't really held up well in the modern era.Certain heroes work better in original setting. The movie won't hurt the comic what is hurting F4 is that clean cut family thing doesn't do well.The worst part about F4 is that cleverly came up with Future Foundation which solve F4 biggest problem ability to add new characters and new interesting characters to interact with F4.

Future Foundation could easily be Illuminati style smart guy book or it could be extended family for example Antman and his daughter,The Richards family, Luke cage family, etc. F4 doesn't have that flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_Martineau View Post
    I don't know why people always worry about this kind of thing. Or why people think movies influence comics at all. Yes, there is a little tiff between Fox and Marvel right now over it...but in case anybody hasn't noticed, they're in the middle of publishing one of the BIGGEST Fantastic Four/Doom comics ever.

Batman and Robin did not ruin Batman for comics or movies.

X-Men 3 and X-Men Origins: Wolverine did not ruin those characters or comics.

Daredevil did not ruin the character for comics or anything else.

Neither did Ghost Rider.

Neither did the first two Fantastic Four movies.

Spiderman 3 didn't effect anything.

Green Lantern didn't ruin the comic.

And this won't either.

As soon as Marvel receives a good pitch and is ready to pull the trigger, the FF comic will be back. Marvel has the real versions of the characters anyway. Not whatever version was put out on screen last weekend.
    F4 has failed 3 times in a row and guess what? Unlike those movies you mentioned? F4 no longer has an ongoing and Marvel sure as heck isn't promoting them on their own, they're stuck being pushed into unrelated books and will have no TV shows or Merchandise to help them out.

That and F4 bombed super hard, in this day and age when stuff is getting more expensive to do.

What Fantastic Four comic?