All-New Member

Default Spidey....Have I got them all

So,the last copy of Amazing Spider-Man I bought was 19.1
    Was there a 19.2 and is the next issue 20.1

Frankly,Marvel don,t want people to buy this book.
    I,ve stuck with it in the hope of re-kindling my love of the web slinger that I had as a young lad.

I understand 20.1 is the final issue before Peter becomes a millionaire!!
    True?

RALPH.

Spectacular Member

There was no #19.2, just #19.1. #20.1 will be the final issue of this run, as you said.

Marvel made it unnecessarily complicated with the numbering. There is #1-18 written by Dan Slott, and #16.1-20.1 (5 issues) written by Gerry Conway. As you've noticed there's no #19 or #20, just the two .1 issues as part of the Spiral storyline.

---

While I'm on the subject, some of my own thoughts...

I personally think they should have either a) had Spiral as either its own separate mini-series (but that would complicate things more with the Renew Your Vows mini), b) released it as #19-23 (even if it doesn't really have anything to do with Slott's previous storyline), or c) had all issues as, say, #16.1-16.5 (like how Learning to Crawl was #1.1-1.5).

The second ASM hardcover has been solicited and is only printing the core issues, not the Spiral storyline, so it was a mistake having the numbering (at least for three issues) match that of the main run.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan P91 View Post

There was no #19.2, just #19.1. #20.1 will be the final issue of this run, as you said.

Marvel made it unnecessarily complicated with the numbering. There is #1-18 written by Dan Slott, and #16.1-20.1 (5 issues) written by Gerry Conway. As you've noticed there's no #19 or #20, just the two .1 issues as part of the Spiral storyline.

---

While I'm on the subject, some of my own thoughts...

I personally think they should have either a) had Spiral as either its own separate mini-series (but that would complicate things more with the Renew Your Vows mini), b) released it as #19-23 (even if it doesn't really have anything to do with Slott's previous storyline), or c) had all issues as, say, #16.1-16.5 (like how Learning to Crawl was #1.1-1.5).

The second ASM hardcover has been solicited and is only printing the core issues, not the Spiral storyline, so it was a mistake having the numbering (at least for three issues) match that of the main run.
    Could,nt agree more.Marvels handling of this has been poor.It looks like they,re going the same route as Dynamite.
    Everytime a story arc comes to a close we all get #1 fever.
    I was hoping the "new" ASM would be a good jump on for a long run but Peter is about to become a millionare,for a while,so we,ll look foward to more "point" issues and another #1 in 20 odd issues time.
    Dynamite are doing that with The Shadow right now

RALPH.

The new ASM is a jumping on point. No idea if they will do . Issues but even him being a millionaire doesn't mean we will remember in a year or two. All of marvel is currently remembering because of SW

Quote Originally Posted by ralphtown View Post
    Could,nt agree more.Marvels handling of this has been poor.It looks like they,re going the same route as Dynamite.
    Everytime a story arc comes to a close we all get #1 fever.
    I was hoping the "new" ASM would be a good jump on for a long run but Peter is about to become a millionare,for a while,so we,ll look foward to more "point" issues and another #1 in 20 odd issues time.
    Dynamite are doing that with The Shadow right now
    Trust me . . . Marvel has been pulling the reboot-or-relaunch-with-a-new-#1-Collectors-Issue! for years (decades?) before it started happening as frequently with Dynamite. And then a little later, Marvel would frequently add up all the issues from the various series of a character's different comic books and jump the numbering back up when there was a suitably impressive number.

Example:
    (2009) Captain America #48, #49, #50, #600, #601, #602, . . . then in 2011, after issue # 619 they restarted Cap's mag with a new #1 issue (AGAIN!) and #620 was the beginning of Captain America and Bucky (which eventually became a general "Captain America and ___________" team-up book until it ended, while the Captain America #1 series got relaunched with yet another Captain America #1 as part of Marvel NOW!)

They did similar renumbering jobs with Iron Man and Fantastic Four (among others).

The only bad thing in Spiral is the confusing numeration.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Trust me . . . Marvel has been pulling the reboot-or-relaunch-with-a-new-#1-Collectors-Issue! for years (decades?) before it started happening as frequently with Dynamite. And then a little later, Marvel would frequently add up all the issues from the various series of a character's different comic books and jump the numbering back up when there was a suitably impressive number.

Example:
    (2009) Captain America #48, #49, #50, #600, #601, #602, . . . then in 2011, after issue # 619 they restarted Cap's mag with a new #1 issue (AGAIN!) and #620 was the beginning of Captain America and Bucky (which eventually became a general "Captain America and ___________" team-up book until it ended, while the Captain America #1 series got relaunched with yet another Captain America #1 as part of Marvel NOW!)

They did similar renumbering jobs with Iron Man and Fantastic Four (among others).
    The math to get to Ultimate Spider-Man #200 is probably the most bonkers one.

Just another example why Marvel should stop renumbering so often. They always harp on making their comics more accessible to new readers...but how are they supposed to follow what's going on when core readers have a hard time keeping up?!?!?! If anything the complicated renumbering will end up alienating new readers even more.