Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    I wonder if there will be any interaction between the MU Reed Richards and the younger Ultimate Universe version?
    I'll be terribly disappointed if there isn't. I don't see how every character is going to have their glory in the 3 issues left. I feel this is going to wrap way too fast and just be a big fight instead of wrapping up intelligently.

Also, Ultimate Reed is like a thousand years old.

Don't care how bad this issue might have been. "He is most certainly NOT talking to you." has bought Hickman so much goodwill and cred from me. #IShallNameHimMiniReed

Quote Originally Posted by celeherald View Post
    ^Totally surprising comment.

The pace is a little too slow, but I really liked the filling in the blanks and setting up for a nice big finish in the next three issues.
    Exactly, it might have been more of a .five than a full issue but it is needed, especially when collected in a trade and first time readers pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Danskeroc View Post
    I'll be terribly disappointed if there isn't. I don't see how every character is going to have their glory in the 3 issues left. I feel this is going to wrap way too fast and just be a big fight instead of wrapping up intelligently.

Also, Ultimate Reed is like a thousand years old.
    each of the last 3 issues is double-sized so technically there is 6 issues of story left

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Does anyone have a cleu on who those stone figures are at the wall where Thanos is?
    Anyone know?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I have no idea either. But maybe they are memorials for those in the Thor corps who died in the line of duty like the one the Cabal killed. Doom is very big on ceremony, pomp & circumstance.

All-New Member

I'd just like to see more of 616 Reed and the Maker. They are cameo players when it feels like this whole thing will come down to them.

Does anyone know what tie in books those guys appear in if any?

Quote Originally Posted by jeddi View Post
    I'd just like to see more of 616 Reed and the Maker. They are cameo players when it feels like this whole thing will come down to them.

Does anyone know what tie in books those guys appear in if any?
    They haven't appeared much if at all to my recollection.
    Comic reviews answering the question "Is it good?" every Wednesday here.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'd like to see more of UFF Reed too since I need to go back and read Hickman's Ultimates run. For some reason that title sort of went under my radar.

I wonder where he ended up? I hope the focus is on the survivors next issue.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    happy to see molecule man still around. is he the prime version then?
    I thought it said all versions were the same version?

I also think the Black Swans are all the same person but different versions from alternate earths.

I'm wondering now if some Thors are being killed by God Doom, because we are starting to see more hammers scattered about Battleworld, at first just the one in Wastelands in OML, but here again around the Shield at Thanos' feet, unless we are expected to think Thanos killed the Thors?

The lack of screen time for the refugees has probably been the most significant issue I have with this series. Otherwise I really am enjoying it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Stacy View Post
    Any well structured story is going to have some down time and moments to catch your breath in between the action
    I think the contention is that this wasn't well-structured. Issue 2 was a giant ball of exposition, it still moved the plot forward, and and I thought it was great. Issue 5... not so much.

It revealed three new bits of information - doom's bomb was molecule men, molecule man is alive, and molecule man wants a sandwich. At the end of the previous issue, Doom is out to look for the raft survivors. This issue, Doom... tells Valeria to start looking for the survivors.

And I don't know who popularized the interleaving flashbacks at Marvel -- was it Bendis? -- but it's way overused.

All-New Member

Some very good points here. I admit the meta theory doesn't work on every level. I am glad the theory doesn't in a way, assuming there is any truth to it of course. I think stories become weighed down when there is too much meta and everything has to represent something else. I think that if there is anything to the idea of Beyonders as the creators then it is just one element of a much larger story. A few more points:

1. Darth Kal-el mentioned that this theory sounded very Morrison like. On more than one occasion Hickman has claimed that Morrison is one of his favorite creators and that he considers him to be one of his influences.
    2. Regarding the idea that the editors at Marvel wouldn't let him make such a statement, I don't think that is much of an issue because I don't think Hickman is making any sort of grandiose statement regarding Marvel's staff. I think he is just having a little bit of fun withe idea of making the ultimate villains of these characters the very same people who craft their stories. I don't think it is meant to be taken as any sort of serious criticism.
    3. It's been said before how this story resembles Crisis on Infinite Earths. Secret Wars is the kind of epic event that one might expect to end in some sort of reboot. I think Hickman is having some fun playing around with those expectations.
    4. As The Fury mentioned, there are some plot holes in this story, especially when it comes to the Beyonders and what exactly their powers are. At the end of the day I think Hickman wasn't incredibly concerned with making sure all the finer details made perfect sense. He has said as much in some interviews.

DISCLAIMER: I still think there is some truth to this theory. However, by day I am a mild mannered high school English teacher so it is in my nature to read too much into things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Anyone know?
    My thought was something like the Promethean Giants from DC, the beings who tried to break through the Source Wall and failed, imprisoned for their hubris.