Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Black Panther and Namor will finally bury the hatchet and make out with each other lol

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    Agreed. It's ok that Hickman took a bit of time to slow down and explain, but after the dynamism of the previous issue it felt a bit dull. It'd be easier to stomach if Marvel had kept to the 2 issues/month thing they had planned originally.
    Exactly. I'd be ok with this story had it come out as planned, but delaying things, then coming out with this particular issue... I don't know if the attitude is "no harm, no foul" because you can read it all later or get the trade, and haha, you already bought half of it so now you have to finish... but I think the spacing of the the issues and the serial aspect are a part of the format. This brought things down a couple of notches for me.

SW has been some pretty good extra sized issues, I'll allow Hickman one issu of his trademark exposition and setup. ONE just ONE. Not two or half a dozen.
    Game Over man! Game Over!

Wow. This was more boring than the latest FF movie and that says a lot.

Spideyparker75

As a newbie Im dreading picking up this issue based on comments. Will it help me or hinder me? I am loving the first 4 issues but still there is a sense of dread that this will undo all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyparker75 View Post
    As a newbie Im dreading picking up this issue based on comments. Will it help me or hinder me? I am loving the first 4 issues but still there is a sense of dread that this will undo all that.
    If you didn't read Avengers/New Avengers, reading this issue will be a-ok for you. It explains stuff that most people who had been reading since the beginning assumed, and added some extra nuances to Doom's crumbling empire.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyparker75 View Post
    It's filled with a lot Hickman's trademark tropes when it comes to his style of writing (his dialogue, his pacing, his ability to draw things out). If you were expecting anything exciting, don't. This is a talking and exposition dumping issue. It's not a high priority to read this I would say at the moment.

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    It's filled with a lot Hickman's trademark tropes when it comes to his style of writing (his dialogue, his pacing, his ability to draw things out). If you were expecting anything exciting, don't. This is a talking and exposition dumping issue. It's not a high priority to read this I would say at the moment.
    Thats fair enough as it will be a while before I can pick it up. I suppose I can ask questions If Im unsure here

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    If you didn't read Avengers/New Avengers, reading this issue will be a-ok for you. It explains stuff that most people who had been reading since the beginning assumed, and added some extra nuances to Doom's crumbling empire.
    I read the last Avengers book (the one with Iron Man fighting Captain America I think) and I loved it. It was my first Hickman issue and even though it was the last one of the run I enjoyed it. Im glad it explains stuff as I have no preconceptions about anything and never assumed anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    I think they've kind of established that with the Thor with no arm talking to Ultimate Thor over in Thors #2. Or maybe not?
    Thor as in the Thor from the Raft. The only characters that "matter" in the main story are the Raftees and Doom's court. The rest are just dopplegangers that populate the world. They may become important later when Doom gets taken down, but the 616 characters as we know them are effectively just nobodies in Hickman's story (unless they were on the rafts.)
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I did not bought comics the last few weeks because i am in vacation out of town. Bought this one in digital.

I liked this issue. Loved the revelation of the bomb. The MM stuff worked for me. The end made me want to buy the next one.

The last time I read a Secret Wars issues was 6 weeks ago, and I wasn't really impatient to read this one. I didn't really have expectations about it.
    But I guess I prefer this one rather than #4 which was one confrontation. Here things happened with revelation and things moving toward the end of Battleworld. Felt to me like the most important issue since the beginning. Not sure why some people are thinking nothing happened. Not enough punching ?

I swear this issue, while extremely lackluster, would've been at least bearable if it wasn't for the delays with the event. Not only does this issue completely kill the momentum of the last from both the gap of time between them and the fact that it basically just repeated most of what we saw in the last issue of New Avengers it barely advanced the plot. It really just feels like a wasted purchase.

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I swear this issue, while extremely lackluster, would've been at least bearable if it wasn't for the delays with the event. Not only does this issue completely kill the momentum of the last from both the gap of time between them and the fact that it basically just repeated most of what we saw in the last issue of New Avengers it barely advanced the plot. It really just feels like a wasted purchase.
    Massive gaps in release dates does not help an event. It kills momentum. If we had two issues a month it would be better but its been ages since # 4.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Great issue. We finally understand how Battleworld works (and how did Doom and Strange killed the Beyonders), and Doom's hold of it is even more tenuous than it seemed.. And that smile from Thanos seeing the sunset was ominous as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    (Actually, this did happen to a friend of mine who just got back into comics--he picked up Secret Wars #1-2 to get into the hype and was very confused by everything.)
    And the purpose of this issue is to explain everything- The Beyonders tried to kill the multiverse, Doom and Strange stopped them using the Molecule Men as bombs, took their power and used them to create Battleworld.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    It'd be easier to stomach if Marvel had kept to the 2 issues/month thing they had planned originally.
    That's a good point, this wasn't supposed to be released more than a month after the previous issue, which made people too anxious.

What took me out of the story was Doom and MM having a conversation about things both already knew about. It was like ridiculous though the purpose was to inform the audience but Hickman should have found a way to give us the information in a way that wasn't from a conversation two people would never have because they were both repeating what they lived through together. It took me out of the story. For those of us who read NA 33 all we learned was that the weapon was an MM bomb which makes since why the Swans would turn against Doom but not from what was said in NA because there the weapon was referred to as a time bomb because the beyonders were not 4D. So plot hole from NA