Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Braun Rodman View Post
    quick question--so no one complaining about the Doom/MM convo has ever had a repeat conversation with someone or talked about something you did with someone again and again. maybe something that was huge and impactful in your lives?

in this version you just happen to have been able to see cut scenes and flashbacks...
    Sure, I have. But I would hope the editor cuts them out of my biopic.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Mighty Member

"Every comic is someone's first."
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

After such a long delay, I expected to be significantly less bored while reading it.
    Sometimes when I read a comic, I like imagining how if the series was a TV show, there would be so much more in the issue to explore and flesh out. But Hickman writes his scenes so fleshed out that we only got two scenes in the whole issue, it seemed. I didn't mind this style as much with his ongoing series, but with an event like this, I was expecting a bit more flash and bang. Secret Wars is telling us to expect more action than there is, this was more like Secret Conversations.

When Hickman first teased this issue, I admit I was kind of disappointed. He made it sound like this issue was going to be filler. After reading it, I was pleasantly surprised. While this issue wasn't quite as intense as the last one, it did succeed in resolving some plot holes and laying the foundation for Doom's downfall. We get plenty of hints that Valeria is a bit overly curious about the survivors of the raft and Doom is not too keen on her learning about them. But since Strange scattered them, it's bound to be a problem at some point. So while the plot didn't move forward by much, it did plenty to set up the drama with Valeria while offering some insight into the role Molecule Man played in the beginning. I think in the grand scheme of things, it makes Secret Wars feel more refined than a typical big blockbuster crossover.

With three issues left though, I feel as though this story is cutting it close. One of the problems Marvel tends to have with these events is that they drag in the middle and force the ending to get rushed. So the final few issues feel bland or unrefined. While Marvel has gotten better at it lately, they still have a history of having lackluster endings ruin promising stories. I hope Hickman can avoid this with Secret Wars, but only time will tell. I did a full review of this issue on my blog. And if it's okay with the mods, here's a link:

Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    OH, and an awesome bonus for those who read Hickman's SHIELD a long time ago.

Notice some familiar faces in Valeria's Future Foundation?]
    Not sure sly is the right word, I guessed that was where they were from and I haven't read SHIELD! The more I hear about it the more interesting it sounds, though. Am I correct in thinking it was never completed?

Oh you mentioned missing characters in your first post: Miles turns up in Ultimate End.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosocialize View Post
    I really loved the tidbit dropped in the Valaria scene later in the issue about Dr. Strange's power being the "absence of Doom" and so basically the opposite if I'm reading it correctly. So in a way he's been holding a balance with Doom and with him gone Doom's is vulnerable.
    Strange and his power are the 'absence of Doom' because, unlike everything else on Battleworld, he wasn't made by Doom. I don't think it's a yin/yang balance thing. I'm not sure if MM is unknown to Valeria because he is simply hidden, or because he was made by the Beyonders and thus is made of the same stuff as Battleworld which Doom created with the Beyonders' power.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    What took me out of the story was Doom and MM having a conversation about things both already knew about. It was like ridiculous though the purpose was to inform the audience but Hickman should have found a way to give us the information in a way that wasn't from a conversation two people would never have because they were both repeating what they lived through together. It took me out of the story.
    This, exactly. Its not the fact they were reminiscing that was incredibly clunky, but the way they did it. Normally, when you talk about a shared experience you allude to events ('Remember the thing with the bomb?'). Here Doom and MM recited events like a third party had asked them to explain what happened, even taking turns so its not like one of them was describing their personal interpretation or experience of events to the other. It would have been more forgivable if it wasn't 95% information we already knew.

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    I would love to go back to the threads for past issues and find out how many people complaining about the pacing changing have in fact always said that they hate the pacing that they now miss but sadly there is not enough time in the world.
    Sigh, variations of this argument come up all the time on these boards. 'Last week people were complaining about X, now they're complaining about Y.' Believe it or not, there are lots of people on these boards with different, often conflicting opinions. Unless you actually have evidence of a specific account contradicting themselves, you can go ahead and assume that contradicting viewpoints come from different people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Secret Wars is telling us to expect more action than there is, this was more like Secret Conversations.
    HAHAHAHA this is hilarious and kinda true
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Good news! This issue explains a lot! Confirms theories, begins new ones, and leaves important stuff out in the open! This is especially good for those who did not read the build up.

Bad news, it's the slowest issue of the series so far. Thankfully the art was a great as always.
    It does explain what happened at the end of NwAV, but it felt just a tad too convenient. Like someone poked Hickman on the shoulder and was like "you gotta explain what happened at the end of one comic in this comic" and he was like "oh... okay, here".

This chapter seemed very Poe related. i.e. "The Tell-Tale Heart". Now we wait to see if Doom will scream about Stephen being under the floorboards...err dirt.

Egyptia = T'Challa carrying a necklace similar to the Eye of Agamotto. Oh and Namor, because putting those two together is a bright idea. Way to go, Strange!
    The only two people that matter in this event xD jk

Stephen wouldn't do this act without a reason. The characters are clearly meant to be where they are in this world. Maybe to cause some kind of disruption similar to what MM and Doom were doing prior.
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    Jane Foster Thor should be making an appearance soon.
    Soon? She already has in this issue.

That felt like maybe 5 or 6 pages worth of content stretched to the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Black Panther and Namor will finally bury the hatchet and make out with each other lol
    Read a fanfic about this yesterday... which involved a Strange leading T'Challa and Namor to some off world during the incursion and disappearing. Maybe the writer subconsciously predicted the future!!?

I can give out one part of the fic, the two talked about the Phoenix power and Shuri.

And something about grudges and stuff happened between that and... stuff
    aka(s). o-bunⓐi-o // ⓓcembⓘrth

Sorry for any misspellings or grammar mistakes

Last edited by Crazed T'Challa x Emma x Namor shipper; Yesterday at 00:00 UM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    It wasn't that they were discussing it together it was the level of detail considering they lived it. Just seemed weird. Hickman is a great writer and could have found a better way then we did this and then we did that, good times
    Yeah, there was a bit much of the old, "Well, as you know, Victor...." in there for most tastes. It might have worked better had either Owen or Victor or both been laying these revelations out for somebody new to them, like Valeria perhaps, but I guess we're not at that part of the story yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    Another good issue. Answered a lot of questions about how Battleworld came to be and set-up the beginning of the end of God Emperor Doom's reign.
    I also liked the bit about the "Doom energy" and how it implies that everything with "Doom energy" was created by Doom so the things that have an absence of that energy are things that survived the death of the multiverse.
    Except this issue reiterates that they saved remnants of the old universes. Everything except Strange (and presumably the raftees) might only be maintained in existence by the Doompower, but if they were created by it, they're not remnants of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Soon? She already has in this issue.
    Was that her or just some other ladythor? Its hard to tell in Battleworld who is who.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Was that her or just some other ladythor? Its hard to tell in Battleworld who is who.
    It was pretty clearly her, since none of the Battleworld Thors would have had reason to be puzzled by what was going on, or need to be shushed by young Thor so she wasn't overheard. If it was just, say, Alicia Silverstone from Clueless Thor, it would have been a needless or weird digression.

If they were going to give us the awkward Doom and MM scene the least they could have explained is why MM is "chained" in the basement