Amazing Member

Default Batman in the 500's

Hi all,

I've been a BatFan for most of my life, beginning sometime in the late 80's. Over the last 20+ years, I've been in and out of comics and have missed a bunch of great stuff along the way. Around the end of Knightfall/Quest/End/Etc. I got burned out and I had graduated from college so needed to focus on other things anyway. I jumped back in when I heard Jim Lee was going to be doing Hush, but only sustained that through the end of the arc (so, about a year).

Over the last year, I've come back and have been catching up on Snyder, Dini and Morrison's work, which I have thoroughly enjoyed. I need to get more into Rucka's run on 'Tec as well as the Red Hood arc around the mid-600's, but the major gap in my collection is the time period that covers most of the 500-600 stretch and it doesn't seem like it's talked about much here outside of No Man's Land. I've read the legendary Shaxper thread which details much of the pre-Crisis stuff that I had been ignoring, but the 500's are still pretty far away, so I put it to the BatBoard here, what is worth picking up in the 500's? I've seen a lot of praise for NML and the various build-ups to that, so I'm hoping to pick up a large run and get into it, but are there any smaller arcs or individual stories from this time period that I should pick up to help me get into this neglected era in my collection? I'm open to anything covering basically 1995-2005 (I think that roughly covers the time period I missed) including the main title, 'Tec, LOTDK and any other spinoff Bat-books.

(I should also mention I really am generally repulsed by Kelley Jones's art, both on Bats and Sandman, but I'm willing to suck it up if the stories are compelling)

Thanks!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Worth picking up:
    Batman by Doug Moench & Kelley Jones, Vol. 1 (and Vol 2 when it comes out maybe next year)....why?:
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...atman-515-552/

The Joker : Devil's Advocate by Chuck Dixon...classic Joker one-shot that any Joker fan must own (has not been recollected recently (you're unlikely to see it a store), but will only cost you about $30 on Amazon)

Batman: Legacy/Contagion TPB (when it comes out in March 2016)....fun big story, if you like Dixon, then you must own this

DC Comics Presents Batman The Demon Laughs #1 (half tpb): Collects LOTDK 142-145 The Demon Laughs..like Aparo's last Batman story, Joker & Ra's team up

DC really hasn't collected Dixon's non-event Detective Comics run that ran opposite Moench/Jones, but I hope they do, until they do...get any of those single issues

Batman by Ed Brubaker Vol. 1 TPB (when it comes out in Feb 2016) Collects Batman #582-586, #591-594

Batman: False Faces by Brian K. Vaughan, collecting Batman #588-590, Detective Comics #787, Wonder Woman #160-16

Batman: Absolution TPB by J.M. DeMatteis

I'm sure there are lots more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-12-2015 at 07:36 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

100% Contagion and The Demon Laughs, for the reasons above. I'm a Moench fan but even I admit that the great draw of the Moench/Kelly run is Kelly, so if you're not into his style then yeah. Also,

Death and the Maidens a down to earth and emotionally charged Demon family mini from Rucka.
    Gotham Central next buy if you haven't read already
    Dark Knight Strikes Again forget what haterz say it's beautiful

Incredible Member

I got burned out right after KnightsEnd and was not interested in Kelly Jones' work, I pretty much skipped Contagion, Legacy and No Man's Land for the fact that it led to too many crossovers with the other Bat-family of titles that I detest immensely.

I guess Jones is one of those artist you either love or hate. I love his stuff. Bat-cowls with ears that are four feet high. Capes so long they overflow onto the next page. Dark and trippy.