Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Uncanny X-Men's" Bunn Addresses Psylocke's Racial Identity

Cullen Bunn reveals whether or not Psylocke's complex body swap backstory will be dealt with in his upcoming "Uncanny X-Men" run.

Full article here.

Amazing Member

Psylocke is one of (if not THE) most racist characters in comics.

If readers really like the idea of an Asian X-Man, then why not give them one instead of 'white girl wrapped in Asian body yet acting in every way like a walking stereotype of 'Asian-hot-girl'?

I like Bunn's writing a lot, but "when the time is right" is one of those answers that rarely inspires confidence, especially with comics, where 20 issues followed by a relaunch is getting to be SOP. We shall see, I suppose.

Spectacular Member FN Spider-Man's Avatar

For the people complaining about the Psylocke "just a ninja" trope, I'm curious if they read Remender's Uncanny X-Force run. I think he did a fantastic job writing her.

I think they are simplifying things and this was already addressed, Betsy and Kwannon didn't only body swap, both get aspects of the other in their minds. Kwannon room if I am not mistaken had a British style while betsy room had a Japanese one, it seems that both get many things from the other. I think it was more like when rogue absorbs a person mind a start behaving like that person, in this case both absorbed the mind of the other and start behaving like the other.

Fantastic Member

It's been 25 years since that happened? Good lord time flies. It never bothered me as a kid when that happened. I figured she was Asian with a British accent and moved on as did the character. Is it really an issue at this point considering a large number of readers probably never knew she wasn't Asian?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FN Spider-Man View Post
    For the people complaining about the Psylocke "just a ninja" trope, I'm curious if they read Remender's Uncanny X-Force run. I think he did a fantastic job writing her.
    I was literally coming here to post exactly this. Please give me examples from this century in which Psylocke has been written as "just a ninja." Since she's come back from her death in the original X-Treme X-Men book, I actually think the character has barely referenced her racial identity, or been featured in stories that rely upon it. Her runs in X-Force focused on her extremely complicated emotional situation. I don't know what that has to do with her race.

I liked pre-body-swap Psylocke. I like post-body-swap Psylocke. She's an interesting character with lots of potential. I think you could make a strong argument that Claremont's initial body swap was deeply problematic from a racial standpoint. In fact, much of Claremont's work from the 1980's and 1990's could be critiqued for its sexism and exoticism (conversely, he was also responsible for some of the best female and non-white characters in comics at that time). But for the past decade-plus, the race of Betsy's current body has been a nonissue. Except to the internet, of course, because Everything Is Awful All of the Time.

PS: I'm fairly sure that Betsy's original body is long gone at this point. Revanche died from the Legacy Virus, and then I feel like Madelyne Pryor brought that body back during Fraction's Uncanny run. And I believe the o.g. Betsy body went *poof* after that as well. But I could be wrong.

BANNED

How about when Fraction had her bow and say "As you wish"? Or when she committed seppuku in Uncanny X-force? Her phase of being a "action junky" has been SUPER basic ninja. Her asian warrior cyber boyfriend in X-Men? Her being the security guard and making no noise when Deathstrike attacked the mansion, where the whole dialogue talk about how she's this amazing ninja? All of her appearance are completely contrived.

BANNED

Why does this matter anything?!

Man first tidbit of information we get about Uncanny and it's about Psylocke's racial issues being addressed. Was kinda hoping we'd learn more about the scope of the book by now. Kinda want to know that since that'll determine whether I actually get this book or don't bother with it since the roster as is is having me lean towards the latter.

Ive just come to accept that she is trans-racial.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

About time. No more of the Fake!Asian nonsense. Cause that was totally the only problem with the 'Super Creepy Ninja Fake Asian Fetish Doll" character template.

All-New Member

Personally, I think it's time to put Betsy back in her rightful body because I think it would make for a more interesting story. Although she was athletic and always tried her best to be a physical match for her foes, her English body lacked the skills to be an effective hand to hand combatant. Now that she has tasted what it is like to be an effective fighter in Kwannon's body, if that was taken from her it would send her, presumably, on a journey to get that edge back. Cue visits to some of Marvel's best fighters/senseis, training montages, defeats, triumphs, etc. It would add depth to her character, and maybe in turn allow Kwannon/Revanche to return so that the body every fanboy loves is still around the Marvel Universe. It would also be interesting to see what effect this might have on Betsy's romantic life. People like Angel and Fantomex fell in love with Betsy while she was in the Asian body. Would that affection be transferred to Kwannon instead (for those that can still affection for her)? I don't know, maybe it's just me but I think it's time.

The Marc Silvestri outfit with the armor and cape was very underrated, while it lasted. The Mandarin was originally responsible for the body/mind change. It would be interesting to bring him into the saga if it is revisited.

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FN Spider-Man View Post
    Probably not, because I'd bet dollars to donuts that the majority of the people crying and whining are the same ones who "demand" different books, then don't buy them, and cry when they're canceled. Anything to start a Tumblr outrage. Remember the fire Remender thing, based on a misreading of Jet and Sam Wilson? Same types of fans, just looking for the next "cause" they can cry about it.