Default I think there needs to be a replacement for Harry Potter...

I miss the Harry Potter heyday. I remember at the time I had a girl who was my best friend. I was hanging out in her room and she was chatting on some message board on her PC. I didn't have internet then and she was telling me about Potter message boards. She was laughing that everyone was "flaming" her for writing bad things about Snape and I said, "what are they sending you viruses or something" and she said no, they were just sending her angry messages, and we had a good laugh reading them. And she told me about fanfic and we had a laugh at the strangest ones she'd found.

I feel like there's been no real replacement, with the same kind of humour, lovable characters, lots of mysteries for fans to debate online, and the general colourfulness of the fan world of cosplay, fanfic, and mythical creatures. And I'm not even a huge HP fan, its only now I realise I miss it being around me...I miss the fan world being around me though I was never really part of it if that makes sense.

I've heard people say that the Artemis Fowl and Skulduggery Pleasant books are similar to Potter, I haven't read them yet, but noone's making films of those, it's all grim things like Hunger Games and Maze Runner. I want something with that same mix of funny, colourful characters and mysteries around them, taking the world by storm and inspiring that same mix of fandom and debate.
    Last edited by tombo; 08-18-2015 at 12:08 PM.

BANNED

You can't go home no more.
    You can't go home no more.
    The past is dead - dead and gone.
    You ain't gonna sleep in grandma's arms no more.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Something's bound to come along at some stage in the future. It's inevitable really. I thought the same about Star Wars when I was a teenager. The worlds full of day-dreamy type people like us. We're all suckers for the escapism that fantasy fiction gives us. It's only a matter of time before some genius creates some imaginary reality that captivates millions across the globe.

What about super-heroes/comic books? Is the fandom/debate/occasional delusional fanboy rantings on sites like this not fulfilling enough for you? Do you not feel as connected to that for some reason?

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Something's bound to come along at some stage in the future. It's inevitable really. I thought the same about Star Wars when I was a teenager. The worlds full of day-dreamy type people like us. We're all suckers for the escapism that fantasy fiction gives us. It's only a matter of time before some genius creates some imaginary reality that captivates millions across the globe.

What about super-heroes/comic books? Is the fandom/debate/occasional delusional fanboy rantings on sites like this not fulfilling enough for you? Do you not feel as connected to that for some reason?
    Oh yeah, I'm wetting myself for the new JJ Star Wars films and Batman V Supes. And I love Game of Thrones. I just miss the era really. Buffy, HP, the rise of manga/anime over here, Batman Begins starting this new hope for great DC movies. It was such a time.

But as the bible says only fools look to the past. Time to make goodness in the present.

Incredible Member

A world comprised of sorcerers is harder to pull off, I think, in an engaging manner, because so many characters can basically go to god mode. HP also had the school element to ground a lot of the central characters interactions, which a hub like that wherein the majority of characters will cross paths is very conducive to storytelling generally.

I would liken Fullmetal alchemist as being in a similar vein to Harry Potter, as there's a wealth of interesting characters, a hub with the Amestrian military and state alchemists and the 2 main characters are youthful protagonist, scarred from a traumatic childhood event that drives the main mythology arc. The alchemy itself is more in line with magic, so far as tapping into an area of that universes afterlife, but with a few strict tenants to avoid god mode problems.

Given Rowling recent renewed interest with the Potter world post deathly hallows, there's always a chance Harrys adult adventures will be explored

I miss the actual midnight releases of the books and movies. That was a party. Now everything gets a midnight release and it is usually before actual midnight. There is no fanfair, no gathering, no lines.

I thought Neville Longbottom was supposed to be the replacement Harry Potter.

Now that I think about it, I'd read the f*** out of an "Adventures of Neville Longbottom" saga, even if he's just f***ing around with herbology and potting plants all the time.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post

I would liken Fullmetal alchemist as being in a similar vein to Harry Potter, as there's a wealth of interesting characters, a hub with the Amestrian military and state alchemists and the 2 main characters are youthful protagonist, scarred from a traumatic childhood event that drives the main mythology arc. The alchemy itself is more in line with magic, so far as tapping into an area of that universes afterlife, but with a few strict tenants to avoid god mode problems.
    I've been meaning to read that for years.

BANNED

Give it a generation, but I suppose you might just hate it and be like "now in my day we had proper stories. Harry Potter, now that was the shit."

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Give it a generation, but I suppose you might just hate it and be like "now in my day we had proper stories. Harry Potter, now that was the shit."
    ^This!^

Whatever does replace Potter in the popular landscape will be nothing like it. The same way that Potter was nothing like the original Star Wars, which was nothing like Roy Rogers before that, etc.

The replacement Potter is Tim Hunter (Books of Magic).
    Cats, Comics, & Pie......
    www.dubipr.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by DubipR View Post
    The replacement Potter is Tim Hunter (Books of Magic).

Well I read those a couple of years before I discovered HP and I've never understood people saying they are similar. Same as people who say Marilyn Manson is like Alice Cooper because they both have female stage names though their music and lyrics are nothing alike. Two magic characters UK based with glasses.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    I was like that with Harry Potter. Kept telling everybody he was just a total Timothy Hunter rip-off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tombo View Post
    Well I read those a couple of years before I discovered HP and I've never understood people saying they are similar. Same as people who say Marilyn Manson is like Alice Cooper because they both have female stage names though their music and lyrics are nothing alike. Two magic characters UK based with glasses.
    ... and pet owls, whose parents are not really their parents, and they end up going to a special magics school.