Thread: Nearly 75 Years

Default Nearly 75 Years

What do you guys think made Wonder Woman such a big success? If anyone wants to know the first Wonder Woman comic was out or Oct 25 1941. I hope Dc doesn't something surprise and with the pushback to 2016 let's hope there will be more.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What do you guys think made Wonder Woman such a big success? If anyone wants to know the first Wonder Woman comic was out or Oct 25 1941. I hope Dc doesn't something surprise and with the pushback to 2016 let's hope there will be more.
    A number of things made her stand out in those years. She was sexy, but not a femme fatale, Marston's particular brand of story telling blended power, love aggression and sexuality in a way that young boys would accept a strong female character but also allow for young girls to admire/aspire to be her. The heavy USA patriotic themes probably played a massive role in her being accepted by parents despite some of the more sexually inclined themes. Add in dose of "first-wave" feminist messaging (i.e. Any woman can be a Wonder Woman) to Marston's relative notoriety as a psychiatrist and inventor and she was pushed out to large audiences quickly.

Also, the art, for its time, was a throw back to Victorian era pin-up girls so it seemed more tame than it probably really was but still stood out to a young reader.

And in top of all that most comics shared space with many other strips ... She debuted in Sensation Comics as a back up feature alongside several other comic strips.