Page 8 of 235 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Well ESPN is reporting the Eagles are "trying to trade" Matt Barkley because Chip Kelly has been impressed with Tebow's development, and sees Tebow as a good fit for the read option for the Eagles offense in short yardage and goal line situations, so they can protect Bradford who cannot take hits in those situations.

Not sure how accurate those ESPN reports are, but if there is any truth to them, I think Kelly is opening a can of worms if he is thinking of using different QBs depending on the game situation. That barely works for college teams, not sure it could work in a QB driven league like the NFL has become. Of course it could just be ESPN talking heads stirring up crap to fill in dead spots in the NFL news cycle as well.

Barkley is not a star, but he might be step up from what the Redskins have. Not sure Washington could get anything for RGIII in a trade though, not even a late round pick. At this point in the game, teams need cap space to maneuver in season and react to injuries through the course of the season, so no one is going to give anything to Washington and take the cap hit for a guy with questionable health and productivity. Sign him to an NFL minimum deal if he gets cut, sure, but not take on his cap number. So unless a team feels RGIII is better than the QB they have and the player or players they need to cut to make room under the cap, they are not going to give value for him. At this point depth along the roster is more important to teams than taking a flyer on an injury prone underperforming QB who had 1 shining season in the sun.

-M

If EA put as much effort into Madden as they did for the Madden trailers I might actually still buy it
    http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/j...2-9c45c12e6a57

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    If EA put as much effort into Madden as they did for the Madden trailers I might actually still buy it
    http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/j...2-9c45c12e6a57
    Julio Jones karate chopping a guy for an hour is the bees knees.

Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-21-2015 at 04:07 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Falcons 1st team offense just shredded the Jet's defense, and Devin Hester looks to remain the most dangerous punt returned in the league, getting on in age or not, and nice job to the Jets secondary on giving up a 60 yard pass to a FULLBACK
    Last edited by Hiromi; 08-21-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    RG3 suffers concussion, Gruden vows 'he's still going to be our starter'

Sounds like RGIII had a bad day in that preseason game. At this pace, I can't see him lasting too terribly much longer in the league before injuries reduce him to a mere shell of the incandescent talent he could've been when he came out of college, or perhaps end his career altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    RGIII is going to go down as the most expensive bust of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Watchdog View Post
    RGIII looked like a rag doll last night, his line didn't block at all for him! He shouldn't be taking hits like that at all, especially in a preseason game. He still doesn't have any excuses for his poor play and bloated ego (which I have no idea why he thinks that) but not having a line to protect doesn't help either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    That bloated ego is just a weak attempt to fool the public into thinking he hasn't lost all confidence in himself on the field imo. I think he might already be physically and mentally beaten past the point of no return. It's a shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I think you're a season too late on that prediction. He looked decidedly shell-like all of last season, when Gruden made precious little effort to hide his disdain/disgust towards Griffin. I get the sense the only reason he's still on the roster is because the Redskins knew they couldn't get anything worth having for him after last season and didn't want to just pay him to go away. They were most likely hoping that he'd play well enough in preseason to sucker some even more desperate team into taking a flyer on him. But it looks like that bird has flown.

And it's not all about the injuries. Yes, Griffin doesn't have the same explosive athleticism that propelled his Cinderella rookie season. But just as big a problem may be that--heading into his 4th season--he still appears to have almost zero game instincts from the pocket.
    And this sums it up. RGIII clearly never should have started that playoff game. His downfall can be traced to rushing him into the game and 2 things happened.

1.) He hurt his knee and had yet another operation on it. Killing his speed.

2.) He never got the off-season that Shanahan wanted with him. The idea as Mike Shanahan told after he was fired was to get the entire off-season with Griffin and work on his foot work , mechanics and the system. He wanted to fully move away from that hybrid Baylor offense he ran that 1st season. Instead he never got that. Griffin spent that off-season on crutches and nothing was worked on.

That's sad to hear. I remember Kramer on that Lions team, a brief, flickering glimmer of hope in the eternal darkness that had been (and would continue to be, until Stafford) the Lions' QB position.
    I remember watching when Kramer would play for the Bears. He wasn't flashy. He was just a very dependable guy. He was like a Kyle Orton in a sense.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

exactly

Shanahan partly ruined RGIII
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

I think RGIII could turn his career around if the coaches would let him do his thing and get his mindset straightened out. As Super said, that playoff game has haunted his career.
    "With great power comes great responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    exactly

Shanahan partly ruined RGIII
    Had he not started him that playoff game and let Cousins play , life would be different. I'd say Griffith would be running the west coast system pretty fully and be close to where Donovan McNabb got in Philadelphia.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

I think RGIII could turn his career around if the coaches would let him do his thing and get his mindset straightened out. As Super said, that playoff game has haunted his career.
    Not really haunt as more than drastically change his entire career in a sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Not really haunt as more than drastically change his entire career in a sense.
    absotuley.

RGIII had but loads of potenital

But his coaches and team pushed him too hard too quick .
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

BANNED

Problem is that the injuries have eroded so much of his physical gifts that he probably can't really do his thing anymore, at least not at the level he did as a rookie, when his pure physical ability drove his entire game. He's still likely a high caliber athlete, relatively speaking, but without that kind of overwhelming speed and quickness he had (which is likely gone forever), in order for him to be effective as an option QB he needs to radically upgrade his play from the pocket. Otherwise defenses will simply pen him in and force him to beat them with his arm, which he just can't do. And he no loner has the legs that will allow him to blow up that game plan by running over, around, and through defenses, even though they're zeroed in on containing him.

Problem is that the injuries have eroded so much of his physical gifts that he probably can't really do his thing anymore, at least not at the level he did as a rookie, when his pure physical ability drove his entire game. He's still likely a high caliber athlete, relatively speaking, but without that kind of overwhelming speed and quickness he had (which is likely gone forever), in order for him to be effective as an option QB he needs to radically upgrade his play from the pocket. Otherwise defenses will simply pen him in and force him to beat them with his arm, which he just can't do. And he no loner has the legs that will allow him to blow up that game plan by running over, around, and through defenses, even though they're zeroed in on containing him.

Basically defenses have pretty much did the Tebow plan. Tim Tebow isn't a fast QB. Teams would send the OLB's around the corner and as you posted , hen RGIII (and Tebow) in. They would basically cut the outside running away and say...BEAT US WITH YOUR ARM. Tebow couldn't and likely still can't. Why Kelly is that damn dumb to see 1 preseason game where he completed half his passes against 3rd and 4th string players is crazy.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Had he not started him that playoff game and let Cousins play , life would be different. I'd say Griffith would be running the west coast system pretty fully and be close to where Donovan McNabb got in Philadelphia.
    If memory serves (a dicey proposition at my age), Griffin was rumored to have been insecure about Cousins and worried that if he played and won, RGIII might've lost his job, and that's why he played.

Basically defenses have pretty much did the Tebow plan. Tim Tebow isn't a fast QB. Teams would send the OLB's around the corner and as you posted , hen RGIII (and Tebow) in. They would basically cut the outside running away and say...BEAT US WITH YOUR ARM. Tebow couldn't and likely still can't. Why Kelly is that damn dumb to see 1 preseason game where he completed half his passes against 3rd and 4th string players is crazy.
    Because Kelly has been enamored with Tebow from day one and wants him on the team. Like MRP said, Kelly sees Tebow as a gadget player for short yardage and goal line situations. Even though Tebow was sacked three times by scrubs who'll be bagging groceries a month from now and didn't fare at all well during his stint this past Sunday, the fix has been in from jump street and will make the roster, even though I thought Matt Barkley played better. Trust me, I don't like this, but Kelly has the hots for Tebow, and what Kelly wants, he gets.

Meanwhile.... Why Your Team Sucks: 2015 Philadelphia Eagles
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

This is to easy for the eagles beating up the ravens.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Well, Sam Bradford finally made his Eagles debut in last night's 40-17 preseason win over Baltimore. While he only played one series, going 3-5 for 35 yards, no touchdowns or interceptions, he certainly looked competent, his throws were fairly sharp and his decision making sound. Bradford even took a couple of hits by Ravens defenders and got back up, including a questionably low blow by LB Terrell Suggs. Looks like Chip Kelly may have made the right choice in trading Nick Foles for Bradford.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 08-23-2015 at 06:35 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!