Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Call of Duty" Debuts, "Usagi Yojimbo" Hits #150 in Dark Horse's November 2015 Solicitations

November brings the debuts of "Call of Duty: Black Ops III," Mike Mignola's "Joe Golem," Greg Pak & Mirko Colak's "Kingsway West" and more.

Full article here.

Three Hellboy comics in one month? Christmas comes early!

Can't wait for that Usagi issue. 'Perfect jumping-on point for new readers?' - you could say that about any issue of Usagi!

Usagi is back! Yay!
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

The only Dark Horse comic issue I will definitely be buying no matter what this November is Kingsway West #1. I'm a little disappointed it isn't an ongoing, because it sounds and looks awesome, but I might just buy all four single issues if I like the first issue enough. If I do buy all four issues, that would make Kingsway West the first miniseries or ongoing that I buy from Dark Horse that I don't wait for to be collected in a trade paperback.

I might buy Usagi Yojimbo #150 too, but I haven't read the first 149 issues. It also depends on my overall comic budget for November if it's worth getting or not.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Three Hellboy comics in one month? Christmas comes early!

Can't wait for that Usagi issue. 'Perfect jumping-on point for new readers?' - you could say that about any issue of Usagi!
    Three Hellboy comics and an Usagi comic in one month (along with the usual assortment of Mignola books, including a debut issue) sounds awesome! Also, I agree, Usagi is very new-reader friendly.

Getting:
    BARB WIRE#5
    THE ROOK#2
    CONAN THE AVENGER#20
    Trade waiting Tomb Raider and Adam.3

Dark Horse has been getting a lot more of my money recently, with Concrete Park, The Massive and Mind Management three of my favourite books at the moment. Then there is Fight Club 2, the Hellboy Library Editions and now Kingsway West.

I do want to get back into the Buffy Books and maybe try a few others too.

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

I haven't read a single issue of Usagi Yojimbo before, so can someone tell me how exactly it is new-reader friendly? Is it like Archie where you only need to know the basic premise and characters, and every issue is a stand-alone story with no continuity? I always thought Usagi Yojimbo had long story arcs and major recurring plot points throughout its run.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Let's see:

Barb Wire #5
    DHP #16
    Hellboy/BPRD
    Joe Golem #1
    King Tiger #4
    Kingsway West

Ugh. I see the potential for my wallet to be whimpering in November. Does anyone know if the Lara Croft mini series is pre-empting the current Tomb Raider ongoing? I haven't seen any solicits for the ongoing beyond issue #18; which just landed recently.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    I haven't read a single issue of Usagi Yojimbo before, so can someone tell me how exactly it is new-reader friendly? Is it like Archie where you only need to know the basic premise and characters, and every issue is a stand-alone story with no continuity? I always thought Usagi Yojimbo had long story arcs and major recurring plot points throughout its run.
    There are some longer arcs like the great Grasscutter epic, but many of the stories are one-shots that are new-reader friendly. I think the next issue (#149, if I'm not mistaken) comes out next month and I believe it is a one issue story that would be good for new readers. Usagi Yojimbo is probably the greatest comic series of all time, so it is definitely worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    Ugh. I see the potential for my wallet to be whimpering in November. Does anyone know if the Lara Croft mini series is pre-empting the current Tomb Raider ongoing? I haven't seen any solicits for the ongoing beyond issue #18; which just landed recently.
    No idea, it's supposed to be old-school, pre-reboot Lara Croft in the mini-series. Although the new Video Game is coming out this year, it think? Which means the current series is probably ending soon. And then being re-launched after the game hits.

Ugh, will have to check what my budget will allow.

DHP(Duh)

B.P.R.D.

Joe Golem

Paybacks

and maybe Kingsway

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    It's new reader friendly because Stan Sakai's storytelling is so direct and clear that you could pick up an issue in the middle of a story arc and still get it. His characterizations are so strong you can understand a long established character just by spending a few pages with them. I mean, sure; reading it all from the beginning in optimal (and easier than ever now with Comixology and the omnibus editions), but Usagi's a comic where you can start almost anywhere.

Books I am getting when they come out:

Adam.3 #4 (of 5)
    Conan the Avenger #20

Books I am getting, most likely, later when I can afford them:

The EC Archives: Panic Volume 1 HC

Quote Originally Posted by Blastermaster View Post
    No idea, it's supposed to be old-school, pre-reboot Lara Croft in the mini-series. Although the new Video Game is coming out this year, it think? Which means the current series is probably ending soon. And then being re-launched after the game hits.
    That makes sense, if there is a new game release on the horizon. Thanks for clarifying that. I guess that's one of the pitfalls of following a book that's tied to a franchise like Tomb Raider; there's a whole different market force that can influence the publication of the book. I'm not really into classic Lara Croft; so I'll probably pass on the upcoming mini.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex