View Poll Results: X-Men is Marvel's #1 Franchise. Do You Agree?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! They will always be #1 to us.

86 95.56%
  • No, I disagree (please explain)

4 4.44%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage! View Post
    Spider-Man and Daredevil are the only other two franchises that come close to the X-Men in Marvel's salvo. Good to see it all recognized.

I'd love to see someone actually try an argue that the Avengers franchise is better than the X-Men. Would love that.

Good to see you've still got your priorities in order. Ugh.

You know Quesada has no actual real power at Marvel anymore, yeah?
    Regarding that first line, I'd say it's because the X-Men, Spider-Man, and Daredevil share similar basic themes, namely that for all the good they do, they're still outcasts who'll never quite fit in with or be accepted or trusted by the people and world they protect and how they persevere in spite of that hard reality.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spider-Man and Daredevil are the only other two franchises that come close to the X-Men in Marvel's salvo. Good to see it all recognized.

I'd love to see someone actually try an argue that the Avengers franchise is better than the X-Men. Would love that.

Good to see you've still got your priorities in order. Ugh.

You know Quesada has no actual real power at Marvel anymore, yeah?
    How long i know, he still works in Marvel and in pretty high position too.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Bragging about a fan poll?

Yup, silly indeed.

I mean, this is the website that told me which male Anime character I should marry, after only 3 questions...

I don't even watch that much Anime.
    I guess that you were the one that voted no.

Great article…agree with all the rankings!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    I guess that you were the one that voted no.
    #3's choice was awkward to me. The rest were mostly agreeable with me.

You should check out that other poll I mentioned, though.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Did you actually read the article?
    Yes, very generic descriptions that seem to be wiki inspired than actual knowledge of the characters or comics in question.

No real meat on what makes each really stand out at all. That and the pictures seem lifted off Google anyway. No doubt most there couldn't name even half of the characters showcased.

Quote Originally Posted by just-my-2cents View Post
    Who is rachel? Did you take the time to read the article? I doubt.
    I took more time reading the article than you googling who Rachel is, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 08-14-2015 at 04:43 PM.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

The fact Nova, the Inhumans, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Black Widow and Gambit all got beaten by crap like Alpha Flight really bothers me.

Daredevil and X-Men got really good places though. I'm surprised about Fantastic Four though because the comics got cancelled and the movie got panned.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I find amazing DD is so highly ranked considering he's had 1 title for fifty years while X-men and Spidey have had spin-offs and satellite titles. Don't get me wrong i like DD, it's just awesome.
    Yeah, starting with Frank Miller, the book had a lot of amazing runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Yes, very generic descriptions that seem to be wiki inspired than actual knowledge of the characters or comics in question.

No real meat on what makes each really stand out at all. That and the pictures seem lifted off Google anyway. No doubt most there couldn't name even half of the characters showcased.
    Yeah, your reply doesn't inspire me with confidence that you actually read the article, sorry. You're just mad that he didn't mention Rachel by name.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    The fact Nova, the Inhumans, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Black Widow and Gambit all got beaten by crap like Alpha Flight really bothers me.

Daredevil and X-Men got really good places though. I'm surprised about Fantastic Four though because the comics got cancelled and the movie got panned.
    That's because the writer is actually a comics fan that didn't rank them by movie appeal only- see Avengers at #8.
    Last edited by Omega Alpha; 08-14-2015 at 06:06 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Regarding that first line, I'd say it's because the X-Men, Spider-Man, and Daredevil share similar basic themes, namely that for all the good they do, they're still outcasts who'll never quite fit in with or be accepted or trusted by the people and world they protect and how they persevere in spite of that hard reality.
    That and the fact that all 3 deal with a lot of human themes and interpersonal drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    #3's choice was awkward to me. The rest were mostly agreeable with me.
    Awkward? How so? I can't think of a mainstream super hero book that's had as much consistent quality over the years.

Ridiculous. He name checked the most iconic and important characters in the franchise. You don't see Marrow/Maggot fans complaining about his authenticity.
    Last edited by Optic Rage!; 08-14-2015 at 07:26 PM.

BANNED

Awkward? How so? I can't think of a mainstream super hero book that's had as much consistent quality over the years.
    Eh. Daredevil just never resonated well with me, despite many attempts to try. I've liked a few runs here and there and I really liked the Netflix show. Daredevil also hasn't had as much impact on the greater MU (like a few other solo characters that I questioned, but they were further down on the list).

It's an opinionated list...so, opinions. He definitely deserves a spot on that list. Just not #3 for me.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 08-14-2015 at 08:10 PM.

Amazing Member

I like Daredevil's high rank. They seemed to weight this based on actual knowledge of historic, revered and influential comic book runs and Daredevil passes the smell test there better than most. He's right up there with the X-Men and Spider-Man as far as having iconic stories that people will read long after the MCU has lost its luster. Born Again, Love and War and Man Without Fear are right up there with Kraven's Last Hunt, Demon in a Bottle, Days of Future Past and the Dark Phoenix Saga. And that was just Frank Miller. Throw in hugely popular runs by Bendis and Brubaker and Daredevil absolutely has credibility at number 3 behind Spidey and the X-Men.

Now what I'd like to know is what are the Inhumans, Nova and Avengers stories with that kind of weight? People seem to think those should be ranked higher and if we're basing it on comics I just don't see it. Annihilation was great, but I wouldn't consider it a Nova story in particular. Avengers? I'm drawing a blank. I'd be hard pressed to think of 5 Avengers stories or runs that I'd consider to be essential reading that every comic fan should own. That's either because of the Vicodin or because they aren't really there.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Ridiculous. He name checked the most iconic and important characters in the franchise. You don't see Marrow/Maggot fans complaining about his authenticity.
    Mind you, the same author has made lists ranking both every Avenger and every X-man ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Olslick View Post
    Now what I'd like to know is what are the Inhumans, Nova and Avengers stories with that kind of weight? People seem to think those should be ranked higher and if we're basing it on comics I just don't see it. Annihilation was great, but I wouldn't consider it a Nova story in particular. Avengers? I'm drawing a blank. I'd be hard pressed to think of 5 Avengers stories or runs that I'd consider to be essential reading that every comic fan should own. That's either because of the Vicodin or because they aren't really there.
    Kurt Busiek's Avengers run was for the most part brilliant, Ultron Unlimited and Kang Dynasty specially, and Hickman's run already surpassed it, IMO. There's also Avengers Under Siege. Lots of people appreciate the Kree/Skrull War, although I'm not one of them.

Avengers is brought down because from, say the late 80's until Busiek took over, there was one mediocre or downright bad run after the other, and some bad times in the 60's and 70's as well. Also some truly horrible stories- Henry Pym beating Wasp, Ms. Marvel being raped, etc. So, it could have been higher surely (at least above Iron Man), but certainly not in the top #4.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

That and the fact that all 3 deal with a lot of human themes and interpersonal drama.

Riiight, a wiki can do that as well. The descriptions failed to mention any stand out moments that helped set up who deserved to be where. It's also suspect on some of the placements as well.

Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean, Storm, Nightcrawler, Magneto, Xavier, ect!

There, I just name checked some iconic character. Not hard at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Yeah, starting with Frank Miller, the book had a lot of amazing runs.

Yeah, your reply doesn't inspire me with confidence that you actually read the article, sorry. You're just mad that he didn't mention Rachel by name.

That's because the writer is actually a comics fan that didn't rank them by movie appeal only- see Avengers at #8.
    If you need others to inspire confidence in you than that's something you should look into.

Riiight, a wiki can do that as well. The descriptions failed to mention any stand out moments that helped set up who deserved to be where. It's also suspect on some of the placements as well.

Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean, Storm, Nightcrawler, Magneto, Xavier, ect!

There, I just name checked some iconic character. Not hard at all.
    Wow, why do you have such an issue with this article? One would think that as an x-fan you'd be happy that X-Men are so well represented on the list.

How does not mentioning Rachel make this list invalid? This guy clearly knows more about the comics than some others who make lists like these for sites like Buzzfeed!

If he mentioned Rachel for no particular reason would that make this list better in your mind? LoL

Quote Originally Posted by Aetherna View Post
    The Avengers has always kinda been the 'Everyone Else I Guess' franchise of Marvel. No real purpose to it.

It's kinda telling that Marvel themselves think the X-men are their best franchise considering how hard they are trying to turn the inhumans into them.

e; having said that so is a poll in the x-forums obviously going to be skewed
    I agree actually. When your membership has included Wolverine, Sabretooth and now Deadpool, along with two different versions of Spider-man as well, and the Fantastic Four...well, you've kind of lost your identity and will just take anyone and everyone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I find amazing DD is so highly ranked considering he's had 1 title for fifty years while X-men and Spidey have had spin-offs and satellite titles. Don't get me wrong i like DD, it's just awesome.
    I'm not a Daredevil fan (he's fine, but he's no better or worse to me than Moon Knight, Hawkman, Iron Man, or any other fairly straightforward male hero without much of a personality), but I think he still ranks highly just for the Miller run. It still holds up 30+ years later, and helped change the tone (for better or worse) of what comics were and could be. Most of the comics outside of that run were on par with Captain America, Thor (again, only the Simonson run really stands out past Kirby), Iron Man, etc. but that run was big enough to rank him. The Netflix series (hell, probably his continued status as a B-Lister) relies heavily on that run.