Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Marvel Details Its Far Flung Future In Massive Alex Lozano "100th Anniversary" Art Piece

Marvel Comics is capping its mock "100th Anniversary" celebration with a futuristic series of covers culled from a new, extra wide Alex Lozano painting.

Full article here.

Interesting that it features the Fantastic Four.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Interesting that it features the Fantastic Four.
    Rumor: Marvel confirms that Fantastic Four will not be canceled for at least 47 years.

There. A counterpoint exactly as thoughtful and credible as BleedingCool.

Also, there's Wolverine. Who could have imagined his death would not be permanent! :P

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Or it's just their 2099 counterparts sent back. But Rocket Raccoon's face is the scariest I've seen of him so far.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Also, there's Wolverine. Who could have imagined his death would not be permanent! :P
    Ha. I thought the exact same thing. So much for that...

Spectacular Member

Huh, the Fantastic Four and the X-Men? Didn't Marvel get the memo that they're not featuring those teams in any promotional artwork any more?

I like the art. Is that supposed to be Spider-Venom in that lineup? It's nice to see the Guardians of the Galaxy continue to get such a big push.

The things that stood out to me were Wolverine's existence, Rogue's upgrade, the Fantastic 4's inclusion, and female Star-Lord.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

Really gorgeous work.

Seems kinda sad that Marvel sees themselves writing about the same character that far into the future.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    Really gorgeous work.

Seems kinda sad that Marvel sees themselves writing about the same character that far into the future.
    Yeah, 50 years in, they should just get rid of Spider-Man, right? No one wants to read that!

Creating characters with staying power and timeless appeal is a triumph, not a tragedy.

BANNED

Looks like Drax eventually goes back to his old costume. Diggin' the axe.

Bummer that Marvel won't have created any new IPs in the next 50 years.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

Yeah, 50 years in, they should just get rid of Spider-Man, right? No one wants to read that!

Creating characters with staying power and timeless appeal is a triumph, not a tragedy.
    I understand all that but 100 years of stories for the same characters doesn't seem like growth. I know that's not really the popular thing to say but it just seemed a little sad.
    Just to be clear I don't mean sad in a pathetic kind of way more in a that sucks a little bit.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Mighty Member

The first Sherlock Holmes story was told in 1887.

Fantastic Member

The first Sherlock Holmes story was told in 1887.
    Add to that the fact that the following stories have been retold and reimagined countless times over the years:

King Arthur & Camelot
    Journey to the West
    Robin Hood
    Beowulf
    Various fairy tales from the Grimm Brothers
    Various Shakespearean plays
    et cetera

And when you compare the rich histories and character developments (and sometimes regressions) of the Marvel IPs, they sort of dwarf the classics in scope and vision. Thankfully, all of the things we're discussing are literature, which is an Art. Art invites and encourages criticism and merit to each observer.
    Last edited by Disco_Magic; 06-03-2014 at 01:58 PM.
    Currently Reading: A handful of series that will be canceled soon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    I understand all that but 100 years of stories for the same characters doesn't seem like growth. I know that's not really the popular thing to say but it just seemed a little sad.
    Just to be clear I don't mean sad in a pathetic kind of way more in a that sucks a little bit.
    I mean, I'm sure they will have. But it's more about characters you already know. If they said "Hey, look at The Soulful, a character made in the far-flung future!" A majority of readers might not be interested. They want character ideas they are already invested in.