Page 339 of 735 FirstFirst ... 239289329335336337338339340341342343349389439 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,085 of 11023

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    You don't have to be naked to be mutant and proud but you don't have to be clothed either. I've seen a social commentator who happens to be a black woman talking about how inspiring Magneto's speech to Raven was and likened it to Malcolm X's appeal to black women to wear their hair naturally during the Civil Rights movement. And "tigers" are one of the few species both men and women tend to compare themselves or others to as a sign of respect or awe.

I think you are wilfully choosing not to see any other interpretation here. It has been established that the character's nakedness is a form of empowerment. And again, I don't really agree that her being naked sexualizes her any more than the comics do. It is a very narrow way of thinking that inadvertently contributes to society's belief of lesser/more revealing the clothes = more sketchy the person who is wearing them.
    Here's the thing. When this is done to female characters in all media, it's hard to see other interpretations. I really don't care about other interpretations. As a woman, I see the same sexualization happening over and over and the same silly excuses for said sexualization. Here's the thing, I understand that sexualization happens, and that this is incredibly common and will happen whether or not I like it.

There is literally no comparison between fake characters who are sexualized and women who choose to wear revealing clothing. In fact, this is a refrain I hear over and over from men who want to defend the over sexualization of women in media. "You can't complain about her being in a skimpy outfit when women are out there wearing bikinis and stuff!!" It's apples and oranges. There's a huge difference between a woman deciding she wants to wear something skimpy and a female character without agency being depicted by a (typically) male writer or artist in a skimpy outfit, or naked.

It's ok to like Mystique being naked in the film, but to pretend it has nothing to do with the pretty common sexualization of the female form in media is just being willfully ignorant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    2) You'd have a point if any of the male characters were naked or scantily dressed. Whenever they want a character to be nude or scantily dressed, it's always a female.
    *Cough*Hugh Jackman's ass*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Where was Betsy a Horseman - I don't remember that one?
    Uncanny X-Force, Dark Angel Saga. After Archangel ascended to become Apocalypse he planted the Death Seed in her making her Lady Death. Later on, AoA Jean removed the seed and boosted her Tp.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachturne View Post
    Here's the thing. When this is done to female characters in all media, it's hard to see other interpretations. I really don't care about other interpretations. As a woman, I see the same sexualization happening over and over and the same silly excuses for said sexualization. Here's the thing, I understand that sexualization happens, and that this is incredibly common and will happen whether or not I like it.

There is literally no comparison between fake characters who are sexualized and women who choose to wear revealing clothing. In fact, this is a refrain I hear over and over from men who want to defend the over sexualization of women in media. "You can't complain about her being in a skimpy outfit when women are out there wearing bikinis and stuff!!" It's apples and oranges. There's a huge difference between a woman deciding she wants to wear something skimpy and a female character without agency being depicted by a (typically) male writer or artist in a skimpy outfit, or naked.

It's ok to like Mystique being naked in the film, but to pretend it has nothing to do with the pretty common sexualization of the female form in media is just being willfully ignorant.
    For a franchise which has become popular by specifically drawing parallels between its characters and issues with discriminated groups of people in real-life and the issues they face, I don't see why a comparison between Mystique and a real woman doesn't work here.

I get what you are saying and normally I would agree with you, but the thing is, I'm not even sure if in this particular case, "sexualization" was the first thing or at least the only thing that was on their minds when they chose to depict her as naked. The statement that we have from the director is that they chose to depict her as having scaly skin because it made her look scary. The earlier incarnations also had her speak in a distorted voice to underline her uncanniness.

I think this franchise has a long way to go when it comes to doing full justice to women and minority characters, but this is one aspect where I don't see how it is all that different from the comics. In fact, I would think the way she is depicted in the movies is definitely less cheesecakey than that impractical 70's costume. You can argue that being naked is just as impractical, but then again, she does have reptile skin in the movies that she doesn't in the comics. The nature and vulnerable levels of that skin could be completely different from normal human skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    For a franchise which has become popular by specifically drawing parallels between its characters and issues with discriminated groups of people in real-life and the issues they face, I don't see why a comparison between Mystique and a real woman doesn't work here.

I get what you are saying and normally I would agree with you, but the thing is, I'm not even sure if in this particular case, "sexualization" was the first thing or at least the only thing that was on their minds when they chose to depict her as naked. The statement that we have from the director is that they chose to depict her as having scaly skin because it made her look scary. The earlier incarnations also had her speak in a distorted voice to underline her uncanniness.

I think this franchise has a long way to go when it comes to doing full justice to women and minority characters, but this is one aspect where I don't see how it is all that different from the comics. In fact, I would think the way she is depicted in the movies is definitely less cheesecakey than that impractical 70's costume. You can argue that being naked is just as impractical, but then again, she does have reptile skin in the movies that she doesn't in the comics. The nature and vulnerable levels of that skin could be completely different from normal human skin.
    Yep, you don't see.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post
    Uncanny X-Force, Dark Angel Saga. After Archangel ascended to become Apocalypse he planted the Death Seed in her making her Lady Death. Later on, AoA Jean removed the seed and boosted her Tp.
    i always laugh when someone say x-men movies violate the canon with little nitpicks and then someone find an issue or scene or moment in the canon that disprove that.

Well, I really hope this is Lawrence's last X-movie. Kinberg too, this guys knows nothing about the X-Men and does whatever he thinks will work better for Hollywood.

Now, imagine if instead of playing Mystique, Lawrence landed the Emma Frost part and January Jones had taken Mystique's role?

In the end of First Class, Magneto rescues Emma. We would have had a much better story after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    *Cough*Hugh Jackman's ass*cough*
    He's not constantly in a state of undress though. Not to the extent of Raven any way?

Quote Originally Posted by RCX View Post
    In the end of First Class, Magneto rescues Emma. We would have had a much better story after that.
    yeah, no. we've been following the story of mystique since x1. some of us are invested in how thing turn out for her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    He's not constantly in a state of undress though. Not to the extent of Raven any way?
    Completely naked, no, but he DOES spend a disproportionate amount of time throughout the franchise either shirtless or in just a wifebeater, so the intent of fanservice is undeniable.

Mighty Member

Completely naked, no, but he DOES spend a disproportionate amount of time throughout the franchise either shirtless or in just a wifebeater, so the intent of fanservice is undeniable.
    He did a lot of nude scenes in the comics, in Weapon X he spent the entire 'saga' buck naked.

Spectacular Member Holland Oates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forgotten_utopia View Post
    hehe nice ones!
    Yes I am done with Mystique! I hope she dies in this movie...
    I am still mad because cyclops isn't in that standee...
    The standee is awful anyway!
    Kill her!

BANNED

Still nowhere to the extent it is with Mystique though. There was no point in having her naked but to create buzz among males. And it worked tremendously!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nachturne View Post
    The whole 'mutant and proud' argument is silly, because one can be mutant and proud without being naked. I really disliked Magneto's speech to her in First Class, likening her to a tiger. She's not an animal, and likening her to one I felt was insulting.

It's so clear that her nakedness was meant to cater to the male audience. Make any excuse you want for it, but she can easily not be naked and it would make sense.
    So your linking nakedness with sexuality and do not associate nakedness with pride. Well let me tell you there are groups in this world that are very proud naked. Nudists. Not only that but actually many indigenous people (that we have NOT corrupted) in places like Africa, Australia, and the Amazon for just examples being naked is the culture norm.

Also many times humans are compared to animals. Loyal as a dog. Fast as a cheetah. Swims like a fish. List goes on, all compliments.

The X-men are about diversity and it just surprises me the narrow view of some fans.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    So your linking nakedness with sexuality and do not associate nakedness with pride. Well let me tell you there are groups in this world that are very proud naked. Nudists. Not only that but actually many indigenous people (that we have NOT corrupted) in places like Africa, Australia, and the Amazon for just examples being naked is the culture norm.

Also many times humans are compared to animals. Loyal as a dog. Fast as a cheetah. Swims like a fish. List goes on, all compliments.

The X-men are about diversity and it just surprises me the narrow view of some fans.
    Again, if there were male members whose default state was naked, you'd have a point. Hell her comic counterpart had more clothes than Iceman and Beast at one point.