Page 623 of 735 FirstFirst ... 123523573613619620621622623624625626627633673723 ... LastLast
Results 9,331 to 9,345 of 11023
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by carlos_b_fly View Post
    Actually, I think Fox made the even bigger mistake of early screenings. They opened it up very, very early to advance reviews imo. Knowing they had a bit of a dud on their hands, they should have held it back as long as possible. Critics were getting to see it even before the UK fan screening. I went into the UK premiere already quite aware it was already seen as bad.
    it wasnt a dud
    Cyclops was right

Amazing Member

Maybe they didn't expect it to be slammed. Really, it wasn't. On Metacritic the majority of the reviews are mixed with just 3 negatives, but the way things are presented overall as a single number, people see that 50% and think it's a bomb, especially compared to Civil War's golden 90.

I'm not all for that type of manipulation but yeah, if they had held back reviews until at least the week of the opening we could have had weeks more of building hype instead of negative buzz everywhere and it most likely would have reflected positively in the opening weekend.

The problem with Lawrence is simple. She played Mystique. If she had played anyone that X-men fans considered to be a true X-man and blew up like she did, no one would have beef. However, the biggest issue is they turned Mystique into a full fledged member of the the X-men because of Lawrence and so fans have hated on her because of it. Even if we accept that this latest movie wasn't her finest, it doesn't matter. It was always going to be something fans would nitpick because their beef isn't with Lawrence. It's with Mystique as a leader of the X-men.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Actually, I think Fox made the even bigger mistake of early screenings. They opened it up very, very early to advance reviews imo. Knowing they had a bit of a dud on their hands, they should have held it back as long as possible. Critics were getting to see it even before the UK fan screening. I went into the UK premiere already quite aware it was already seen as bad.
    Sometimes you don't know you have what reviewers will think is a dud. Let's be honest the bar has been raised very high by the past several MCU films and DoFP.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    The problem with Lawrence is simple. She played Mystique. If she had played anyone that X-men fans considered to be a true X-man and blew up like she did, no one would have beef. However, the biggest issue is they turned Mystique into a full fledged member of the the X-men because of Lawrence and so fans have hated on her because of it. Even if we accept that this latest movie wasn't her finest, it doesn't matter. It was always going to be something fans would nitpick because their beef isn't with Lawrence. It's with Mystique as a leader of the X-men.
    I agree. Perfectly said.
    That is a legitimate gripe.
    My issue is instead of saying that and staking on it, they're suddenly becoming experts of film and acting.
    Who should get the backlash? Singer and the writers. NOT JLAW.

If anything she coulda continued her anti-hero route, but it understandably pissed of many fans to see her turn face due to her popularity.
    Cyclops was right

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ciscostudent561 View Post
    it wasnt a dud
    The critics said otherwise with the film scrapping together 50 out of 100 and I was discussing critics.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Sometimes you don't know you have what reviewers will think is a dud. Let's be honest the bar has been raised very high by the past several MCU films and DoFP.
    Personally, I think Singer's critic friendly directing had the reviewers prepared for another really good film, so in their disappointment they graded Apocalypse on a curve rather then I think, just grading it for what it was.
    Cyclops was right

Mighty Member

The critics said otherwise and I was discussing critics.
    wrong. Reviews were mixed. The Average score is at a 5.6/10, cmbs average is 6.5-7
    Cyclops was right

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    No, you never can quite tell, true. Although I think most objective people in the studio can likely get a feel of their product after a watch. I don't work in Fox but after watching Apocalypse I had a pretty strong feeling it would a) get very average reviews at best and b) perform weaker than DOFP and maybe even The Last Stand.

BANNED

Mystique has always been way too selfish to be the character they tried to portray as in Apocalypse.

Amazing Member

wrong. Reviews were mixed. The Average score is at a 5.6/10, cmbs average is 6.5-7
    I said the film was 50 out of 100. The film is currently on a critical Metacritic score of 52 out of 100. So no, not wrong. Not at all. Even one of the sites you have mentioned have it on the same average of 5/10 (50/100).

No, you never can quite tell, true. Although I think most objective people in the studio can likely get a feel of their product after a watch. I don't work in Fox but after watching Apocalypse I had a pretty strong feeling it would a) get very average reviews at best and b) perform weaker than DOFP and maybe even The Last Stand.
    Sometimes reviewers look at things on a curve based on past films, the last Terminator film was poor, but not the apocalyptically bad stinker reviewers said it was, but most of them seemed to be reviewing it based on T2 as the standard which is a mistake given T2 was actually one of the best science fiction films Hollywood has ever produced.

Mighty Member

i think we disagree with what a dud is?
    Cyclops was right

Amazing Member

i think we disagree with what a dud is?
    Perhaps. I don't really care to be honest. My point is, the film has been met with near universal average or mixed critical reviews, with few positive compared to the far more positive receptions of previous X-Men movies and MCU ones. Nobody would be taking Apocalypse's report card home with pride.

Mighty Member

Perhaps. I don't really care to be honest. My point is, the film has been met with near universal average or mixed critical reviews, with few positive compared to the far more positive receptions of previous X-Men movies and MCU ones. Nobody would be taking Apocalypse's report card home with pride.
    I would.
    I was also happy as long as it wasnt a d or F
    Cyclops was right