Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime Harder View Post
    Good point. I guess he never had omniscience or omnipotence then.
    No, it was the old question of whether an all-powerful god can make something that's stronger than he is. He could and he did, and he did it out of ego, even knowing the risks.

Preacher God is only absolute on the throne. He did beat up Jessie, resurrected Tulip, and made folks immune to Word.

But Spectre is leagues stronger than all. SoK can kill anything alive, but not undead. (Ask Cassidy.)

So yeah, Preacherverse power level is really out there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    The word "rest" doesn't necessarily refer to fatigue, it also refers to stopping. The car came to a rest at the bottom of the hill.
    Right, so why does an omnipotent need 6 days to create anything? Should of been able to do it in the blink of an eye. Shouldn't of even taken 6 seconds, and not a single soul benefits from stretching out the time for creation.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Right, so why does an omnipotent need 6 days to create anything? Should of been able to do it in the blink of an eye. Shouldn't of even taken 6 seconds, and not a single soul benefits from stretching out the time for creation.
    What's this have to do with anything? Other than continue about real life religion when it's specifically banned?

1. Preacher god isn't biblical God, he has not the feats nor the scale. The characters can say all they want the feats simply aren't there. And while i'am not a follower of the religion and thus unfamiliar I am fairly sure God didn't need a throne to do anything he did.

2. An omnipotent being can do what they wish for as long as they wish. If they want to take 6 billion years to blink they can, if they want to create a transhyperdimensionalultramegaversalwhateverthehel l thing in timespans shorter than plank scale they can. It has no real bearing on capacity, just choice. Not that it matters since the PV god is neither omnipotent nor particularly high on the cosmic scale. The Silver Surfer is more impressive honestly save perhaps with ressurection, since I don't know if Surfer ever did that.

Preacherverse god is basically Dr. Manhatten, he gets alota cred but he has none of the feats to put him on the level people say.
    Last edited by Farealmer; 06-10-2014 at 10:07 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    What's this have to do with anything? Other than continue about real life religion when it's specifically banned?

1. Preacher god isn't biblical God, he has not the feats nor the scale. The characters can say all they want the feats simply aren't there. And while i'am not a follower of the religion and thus unfamiliar I am fairly sure God didn't need a throne to do anything he did.

2. An omnipotent being can do what they wish for as long as they wish. If they want to take 6 billion years to blink they can, if they want to create a transhyperdimensionalultramegaversalwhateverthehel l thing in timespans shorter than plank scale they can. It has no real bearing on capacity, just choice. Not that it matters since the PV god is neither omnipotent nor particularly high on the cosmic scale. The Silver Surfer is more impressive honestly save perhaps with ressurection, since I don't know if Surfer ever did that.

Preacherverse god is basically Dr. Manhatten, he gets alota cred but he has none of the feats to put him on the level people say.
    It has to do with the definitions of "omnipotent". An omnipotent doesn't need days to create anything. Sure they can do anything they wish, but then we'd need valid reasons as to why said omnipotent decided to take time to do it, which we don't have. Or in other words, featwise? No, an omnipotent aint creating a universe in the blink of an eye unless they have shown they can.

This isn't just applying to the biblical God, but ANY character said to be omnipotent. Though like you said, the preacher version wasn't omnipotent. In this very topic, it was alluded to he was.
    Last edited by Surtur; 06-10-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Mighty Member

It has to do with the definitions of "omnipotent". An omnipotent doesn't need days to create anything. Sure they can do anything they wish, but then we'd need valid reasons as to why said omnipotent decided to take time to do it, which we don't have.

This isn't just applying to the biblical God, but ANY character said to be omnipotent. Though like you said, the preacher version wasn't omnipotent. In this very topic, it was alluded to he was.
    The problem here is you rose to Carabas's false representation of preachergod's capacities. He said preacher god is literally biblical God and thus the feats are the same. They are not, Preacherverse god shows time and again limits which as far as I know simply don't apply to God, to say nothing of the lore differences. Which both makes any debate on him on that level both pointless and a violation of the rules. To use the whole "well this is for future debates with omnipotents" is a false argument as any "omnipotents" on this board are discussed from feats or relation to those that have them on a case by case basis. So debating them here is pointless, offtopic, and a violation of the rules.

Which is why I am bringing this up.
    Last edited by Farealmer; 06-10-2014 at 10:32 AM.

God in Preacherverse is simply God in THAT universe. He is met to be Bible's God, but of THAT universe. Real life religion should not count here.

Take for example Jesus did not die and resurrect in Preacher plot, he took drugs to fake his death and lived on to his 40s before getting run over by a cart. (Killed)

Preacher is pretty satire at religion in instances like that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    God in Preacherverse is simply God in THAT universe. He is met to be Bible's God, but of THAT universe. Real life religion should not count here.

Take for example Jesus did not die and resurrect in Preacher plot, he took drugs to fake his death and lived on to his 40s before getting run over by a cart. (Killed)

Preacher is pretty satire at religion in instances like that.
    Okay, but my point was it is irrelevant either way, because neither God actually does anything to suggest true omnipotence. Even if the creator of Preacher himself came and said "he totally has all the feats from the bible" it still wouldn't change the "not actually omnipotent" thing. It's not really a religious debate, more of a feat debate. If I created a work of fiction right now and had a character that does everything God from the bible does, the character wouldn't still be an actual omnipotent. Or rather, it would just mean I have a flawed understanding of what the word means. Since, we'd still have non-omnipotents from DC and Marvel with vastly better feats.
    Last edited by Surtur; 06-10-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Mighty Member

Okay, but my point was it is irrelevant either way, because neither God actually does anything to suggest true omnipotence. Even if the creator of Preacher himself came and said "he totally has all the feats from the bible" it still wouldn't change the "not actually omnipotent" thing.
    "True" Omnipotent is impossible to prove in a feats based system, so that's a given. Which makes any debate on this forum for ANY character on that basis pointless. Which confuses me why you'd bother with it since you should well know this by now.

It's not really a religious debate, more of a feat debate. If I created a work of fiction right now and had a character that does everything God from the bible does, the character wouldn't still be an actual omnipotent.
    It would be a religious debate because it's a tasteless attempt to turn it into a religious debate. Bibilical God is offlimits. Any other God only gets their feats and "X said he can do everything in the Bible" isn't a feat. It's a transparent attempt to debate someone offlimits.

Since, we'd still have non-omnipotents from DC and Marvel with vastly better feats.
    DC and Marvel have no omnipotents, that's the point.

Presence, OAA, Infinity Gauntlet, Preretcon Beyonder, etc none of these could ever be proven to be omnipotent on this board. Regardless of how high their feats are.
    Last edited by Farealmer; 06-10-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: sentence error

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Besides, this line of discussion is based on the idea that an omnipotent being needs to act in a way that's understandable or reasonable to things that are so far beneath them as to be fundamentally indistinguishable from inanimate matter (ie, anything that isn't omnipotent).

One might as well all why someone/something that is omnipotent feels like doing anything at all when their time (if they ever get around to making time in the first place) could be just as well, if not better, served by just floating around and reveling in their own raw amazingness and awesometude.

BANNED

Right, so why does an omnipotent need 6 days to create anything?
    Felt like it? Need is your choice of words.

Should of been able to do it in the blink of an eye. Shouldn't of even taken 6 seconds, and not a single soul benefits from stretching out the time for creation.
    Could have done any number of things, including nothing at all.

Who decides should? With omnipotence there's no limit to the power, only in what you do with it. If a googol universes were created in a second you could just as easily ask "Why not a googolplex of universes in a trillionth of a second?" as far as it goes.

It's not like there's a particular rush to do anything, time itself is meaningless.

Alright, alright, I'm doing this. I don't want to get in trouble for potential religious discussion, but I feel like I have something to contribute here.

There's a... minor translation issue with the English Bible. I mean there's a few, but specifically, the word we use for "day" was actually the word "yom" in Hebrew. It can mean a 24 hour period, or the sunlit portion of said period, but it can also mean a generally long age of unspecified time. Yom has like six different meanings, though an actual day is the most common. So, like, translated roughly something like "in the day of the judges" might not actually mean a literal day, just the period of time in which the judges did their thing, however long it happened to be. Other parts of the Bible even complicate it further, saying that a day to God is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day. Heck, there wasn't even a sun until the fourth day or so--would a period of time with no sun and no moon still be considered a day in the technical English sense?

The six days Biblical God spent making stuff were in all likelihood meant to be six stages or periods or segments, not literal actual physical 24 hour days.

BANNED

If he's omnipotent why did he need to rest? Bible God took a day to rest after creating stuff, how was he fatigued at all? He should of had infinite stamina. There is already a flaw right there. Ignoring the fact that any character only gets the feats they show. It's just like any god from any myth, whether it Christian or Greek, etc. They kind of need to live up to the hype, on panel, so to speak. Just like Thor or Zeus don't get feats from the myths, etc.
    Just a note. He wasn't actually resting. It was to mark the 7th day of the week, Sunday. And while absolutely not related to this thread, there are several quotes I can find for the Biblical God in Jewish scriptures where he creates and destroys like a thousand universes before creating our.

Ugh... religion debates in the rumbles.