Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

The first Hellboy tpb
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I think my first actual issues were Makoma as it was coming out. I quit collecting floppies not too long after that until I started buying hardcovers with the first Library Edition being one of the first (if not the first) books I bought.
    Peace, Love, and Tacos

Mine was The Corpse if I recall correctly

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    thwhtGuardian, did you read it in 1993?
    I did, it was at the one and only San Diego Comic Con I've ever visited in my life(and with the size of it now the only one I'm ever to visit period). I was 7 at the time and I just loved the tone of the story; it was unlike anything I'd ever read before. When I went home and asked for more Hellboy at my lcs the guy had no idea what I was talking about and it wouldn't be until a year later that I got another taste when my father found me the Wolves of St. August in Dark Horse Presents.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I did, it was at the one and only San Diego Comic Con I've ever visited in my life(and with the size of it now the only one I'm ever to visit period). I was 7 at the time and I just loved the tone of the story; it was unlike anything I'd ever read before. When I went home and asked for more Hellboy at my lcs the guy had no idea what I was talking about and it wouldn't be until a year later that I got another taste when my father found me the Wolves of St. August in Dark Horse Presents.
    Whoa, you had pretty decent taste at the age of seven. Also: this thread kind of makes me feel pretty damn old.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Spectacular Member

My first actual issue was The Island #1 but i'd gorged on the 5 available tpbs before that. Now i'm so far down the rabbit hole comics are my favourite entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Whoa. That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Whoa. That's awesome.
    Yeah, I lucked out. We were out west visiting my father's aunt and she took us to the con; she's a film editor and had edited a sizzle reel that was showing there so she was able to snag passes. It was a great weekend.

Does his appearance in John Byrne's Next Men #21 count? If so that was my first issue. If not, it was the first issue of Seed on Destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Does his appearance in John Byrne's Next Men #21 count? If so that was my first issue. If not, it was the first issue of Seed on Destruction.
    That definitely counts, and its a fun story.

BANNED

BPRD: 1946-1948

I bought it just yesterday and hot damn, now I'm hooked!

Seed of Destruction 1-4 1994

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    Same here! I was a huge Mignola fan already, and was super stoked that Dark Horse was forming the Legends imprint that would put out Hellboy. Had been reading Next Men from the start, and when Hellboy popped up in issue 21 I couldn't wait for more.