Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Claw of Justice!

Default What was the first Mignolaverse comic you ever read?

The first I read was Get The Lobster #2. Probably my all-time favorite comic book (possibly tied with #3, which I read right after that; the store was out of #1).

I read the trade paperback Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others. Of those collected, The Corpse and The Chained Coffin made the biggest impression, but they were all fantastic.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Corpse or Wolves... not sure, I read a bunch of those shorts right around the same time. Pretty sure it was one of those two, though.

Mine was Seed of Destruction TPB after seeing the Hellboy 2 trailers on TV. Devoured all the rest right after that

Mine was Hellboy: A Christmas Underground. After that I started with Seed of Destruction #1

thwhtGuardian, did you read it in 1993?

All-New Member

My answer is exactly the same as topfueluhl's -- and I expected to be the only one!

The first American published comic featuring Mignola becoming owned by me will most likely have been the 1989 Detective Comics Annual #2 Two-Face Who's Who entry.

Which I'll have bought because I liked the Batman pinups and covers by Mignola as appearing in the Dutch translated reprint Batman comics.

The title that made me want to read and collect everything Mignola will have been Batman Elseworlds: Gotham By Gaslight, which I first acquired in Norwegian both as Swedish, through my Mom who went on vacation there in 1991 or 1992.
    At my LCS I was able to track down Ironwolf: The Fires of the Revolution as well as Wolverine: the Jungle Adventure, both which I had seen in a Previews catalog, but Gaslight only appeared sold out.
    Not long after that I went to London for school and was able to purchase both Gotham By Gaslight as well as Duncan Fegredo's Kid Eternity 1-3.

The first complete Hellboy story I read will have been the "Hellboy at a gas-station" story which got reprinted in B/W in full in a 1994 Dutch magazine "Stripschrift".
    By that time I had Seed of Destruction #3, but not #1 and 2 yet.

Reading comics back then required many trips to cities and internet wasn't around to help anything. But it was a thrill every time to stumble upon new Mignola or Burns or Moebius, Ted McKeever or Chaykin's American Flagg, because any of that was just the good stuff. And it still is!
    Last edited by Kees_L; 08-15-2015 at 08:36 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Same for me as middenway. After Chained Coffin TPB - it was loaned to me by a co-worker (he was a digital artist and I was a technical writer so we shared a cubicle at the software firm where we worked because the boss stuck "the creative types" together) - I picked up Seed of Destruction TPB and then went on to get the individual issues of everything that had been released up to then. And the rest is history.

Hellboy vol. 1

(Last week.)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Hellboy vol. 1

(Last week.)
    You have so much great stuff ahead of you!

Fantastic Member

The Iron Shoes!

I got it in some weird sampler book. I don't remember what it was from but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    You have so much great stuff ahead of you!
    Good - because I've already ordered vol. 2, 3 and 4.

You need 5, 6 and 7 in there, too.

Then you can read 10 and 11, and The House of the Living Dead. Then I'd read 8, 9 and 12 in that order, personally. Read The Midnight Circus before In Hell vol. 1, too.
    Last edited by Joker; 08-16-2015 at 07:51 AM.