Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Default No FF comic return until Marvel gets back the FF film rights?

I was checking out the Fantastic Four (2015) message board on the Internet Movie DataBase (IMDb) and ran across one thread where a poster asked if the FF comic would return. Believe it or not, two different posters in the thread declared their belief that the title will not return until Marvel gets the FF film rights back from Fox. Is this a realistic possibility? If so, FF fans might be waiting years before seeing a return to their beloved comic.

I don't think it's particularly realistic. I don't think Marvel's publishing division cares that much about the film rights. And Disney doesn't care much what the publishing division does. So there wouldn't be any pressure on Marvel to hold off on a FF comic.

I suspect a larger hurdle is that people just don't seem all that interested in the Fantastic Four any more. Their comics are no longer huge sellers. So most likely, Marvel is simply going to let the title stay dead for a couple years, just to let people start to get nostalgic about it and create more excitement when they eventually relaunch it.

BANNED

Or announcing a FF book right now would seriously spoil SW.

I mean, we know Johnny and Thing survive. But they've mostly been irrelevant to SW, haven't they?

do you believe everything you read on the Internet?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Or announcing a FF book right now would seriously spoil SW.

I mean, we know Johnny and Thing survive. But they've mostly been irrelevant to SW, haven't they?
    Other than that Johnny is the sun. But yea, it would be a spoiler.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I don't think it's particularly realistic. I don't think Marvel's publishing division cares that much about the film rights. And Disney doesn't care much what the publishing division does. So there wouldn't be any pressure on Marvel to hold off on a FF comic.

I suspect a larger hurdle is that people just don't seem all that interested in the Fantastic Four any more. Their comics are no longer huge sellers. So most likely, Marvel is simply going to let the title stay dead for a couple years, just to let people start to get nostalgic about it and create more excitement when they eventually relaunch it.
    This isn't true. There's plenty of people interested and that are fans of the FF. The title sold about as well as Cap and Iron Man and Thor.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    Other than that Johnny is the sun. But yea, it would be a spoiler.
    Explain please.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    This isn't true. There's plenty of people interested and that are fans of the FF. The title sold about as well as Cap and Iron Man and Thor.
    I'm right there with ya. I'm still interested in the FF. I think alot of fans are. Although I don't think it sold as much as Cap, Iron Man or Thor. Not that they ere the biggest of all sellers either.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

I expect something FF-related after Secret Wars ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Well, depends on which run you're looking at. Fraction's run underperformed in a big way. Robinson's run arguably underperformed, as well. It fell below 30 000 copies a month, prior to getting back the original numbering. In fact, #14 sold under 25 000. It did jump back up above 30 000 for the final four issues, #642-645.

Still, I get the feeling the Fantastic Four don't generate that much interest any more. Yes, they still have their fans. Of course they do. Every character has fans. Adam-X the X-Treme has fans. But the Fantastic Four don't have as large a fanbase as the X-Men, the Avengers, Spider-Man, or a lot of other characters. They've been on a downward trajectory for a long time. Even Hickman's run, despite all the critical acclaim, was generally stuck around the middle of the sales charts, aside from a few points here and there - launching FF, relaunching Fantastic Four, a couple other boosts here and there.

The Fantastic Four have long since lost their status as one of Marvel's top-selling titles. And they have a diminishing number of die-hard fans. They're at a point where a phenomenal run will get good sales, whereas something like Avengers or Uncanny X-Men will get great sales with an OK run. Basically, the guaranteed sales for Fantastic Four are no longer really there, and as Marvel's oldest title, that's an awkward place for them to be in. They probably should have higher guaranteed sales.

That's why I figure Marvel will probably end up leaving the title dead for a couple years. They did it with Thor, and since coming back, he's consistently had good sales. Because the absence reminded people that they liked him.

So my guess is that Secret Wars will end with Reed and Doom dying. Sue will probably retire from superheroics to raise Franklin and Valeria. Ben and Johnny will be kept active. And then, in two or three years, we'll have a triumphant return of the Fantastic Four.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Explain please.
    SW #2. Sue and Doom discuss how Johnny went against Doom and for punishment, Sue had Doom transform him into the sun rather than being executed.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Bleeding Cool predicts that a Fantastic Four comic could be back as early as the end of the year. Supposedly, Marvel wanted to hold off until after the blu-ray/DVD for the Fox reboot was released. The fact that the Fox reboot bombed makes it even more likely since it's doubtful a sequel will be made.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/...ur-comic-back/

Well, as the movie was inspired by the ultimate version of F4 i think it's pretty safe to say that yes, a comic just about that team is not going to be published anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Bleeding Cool predicts that a Fantastic Four comic could be back as early as the end of the year. Supposedly, Marvel wanted to hold off until after the blu-ray/DVD for the Fox reboot was released. The fact that the Fox reboot bombed makes it even more likely since it's doubtful a sequel will be made.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/08/...ur-comic-back/
    Ugh. Bleeding Cool. I hope Johnston's careful not to hurt himself while constantly patting himself on the back. And I still don't give a damn what unnamed sources say. If someone from Marvel actually goes on the record that the comic was cancelled because of the movie, fine. But as long as it's just unnamed sources, I have no shits to spare for it. As far as I'm concerned, it's nothing but rumour-mongering and sensationalism, a poor replacement for actual journalism.

And I'm still betting on Reed and Doom dying. It's simply the most logical way to end the story. This is basically the ultimate Doom story, and it's looking to set up a huge climax for the Reed/Doom rivalry. Having them kill each other is simply the effective way to finish the story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    SW #2. Sue and Doom discuss how Johnny went against Doom and for punishment, Sue had Doom transform him into the sun rather than being executed.
    That Sue is a counterpart of 616 Sue.
    Doom is 616 Doom. Johnny is a counterpart of 616 Johnny.

616 Sue and 616 Johnny died in Secret Wars # 1.