Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spideyparker75

Default Has Marvel helped "save" Star Wars?

This is a question I put to all the SW fans out there. Has Marvel with all their various SW titles and upcoming stuff like Shattered Empire and Vader down done something and saved the SW universe from complete mediocrity? Have these issues got you even more excited for the new movie?

The sales of issue 1 of Star Wars was phenomenal which showed that fans still want to read about that galaxy far far away. Both SW and DV are doing well among the fans as is Kanan and both Leia and Lando minis have also done well. I admit to leaving the franchise back in 2012 due to being completely bored but now thanks to Marvel Im getting excited again for a new Star Wars movie and continuity. Yes I was angry that the 100 odd books I read from 1996 to 2012 dont really mean a lot now but the stuff being churned out now is phenomenal. there was a lot of mediocrity in the EU.

Now Chewie lives again and we have some interesting new characters to invest in.

Exciting times ahead for SW fans. How do other fans feel?

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Overall I have to say Yes.

I mean, what else could Lucas really do with them? Vader is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time and those prequels...ugh.

Disney/Marvel is breathing life back into the franchise:

- Third Series of Infinity is Star Wars-Based
    - Of course new movies
    - They're good at Marketing. Look at how well these comics are doing. Its not a new idea they have. Dark Horse produced good material as well.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 08-12-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Well see, I never read many of the books or any of the previous comics, but I grew up on a lot of the games (KOTOR 1 and 2, all the Jedi Knight games, Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron) so it still stung when they just decided that was all non-canon now. I've only been reading the main title and it's been...fine so far, but that's kind of it(with the exception of the recent obi-wan issue which was excellent).

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyparker75 View Post
    This is a question I put to all the SW fans out there. Has Marvel with all their various SW titles and upcoming stuff like Shattered Empire and Vader down done something and saved the SW universe from complete mediocrity? Have these issues got you even more excited for the new movie?

The sales of issue 1 of Star Wars was phenomenal which showed that fans still want to read about that galaxy far far away. Both SW and DV are doing well among the fans as is Kanan and both Leia and Lando minis have also done well. I admit to leaving the franchise back in 2012 due to being completely bored but now thanks to Marvel Im getting excited again for a new Star Wars movie and continuity. Yes I was angry that the 100 odd books I read from 1996 to 2012 dont really mean a lot now but the stuff being churned out now is phenomenal. there was a lot of mediocrity in the EU.

Now Chewie lives again and we have some interesting new characters to invest in.

Exciting times ahead for SW fans. How do other fans feel?
    I'm not SW comic fan but why would anyone think that ? I mean Marvel best hobby is to change titles until they are unrecognisable O.O this is their marketing strategy.
    Last edited by TakoM; 08-12-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Spideyparker75

Nice Id have to read that article.

I think a lot of the mystery was taken out Of vader with the prequels. An annoying kid followed by an even more annoying adolescent didnt help things either. Also Boba fetts origin was a bit meh and boring if I may say so. Now with the Vaders own Ongoing some of that mystery and fear is back to the point were you can almost forget the prequels....almost.

Vader may be gone over 30 years but he still rules the roost. I hope Kylo Ren is ready to take over that mantle of top SW villain.

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by TakoM View Post
    I'm not SW comic fan but why would anyone think that ? I mean Marvel best hobby is to change titles until they are unrecognisable O.O this is their marketing strategy.
    Think that Marvel salvaged SW? Well Im asking fans not telling them they did. Im getting their opinions on it. For me they have no question but maybe not for others.

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Well see, I never read many of the books or any of the previous comics, but I grew up on a lot of the games (KOTOR 1 and 2, all the Jedi Knight games, Shadows of the Empire, Rogue Squadron) so it still stung when they just decided that was all non-canon now. I've only been reading the main title and it's been...fine so far, but that's kind of it(with the exception of the recent obi-wan issue which was excellent).
    It killed me that all those EU books. comics and games were now no longer canon. I loved Shadows of The Empire. Prince Xizor was a cool character and villain and he had a great backstory. I wouldnt rule out the KOTOR as not being canon simply because they are so far back in the timeline that they could be. Also the Darth Bane trilogy of books. Unless its stated either in the new material or the movie I would not wave away the old republic stuff just yet. Its far enough back in time to have no real impact on the now.

Its the stuff that happened post Jedi that has been done away with. From The truce at bakura to the Fate Of The Jedi series of books these are now classed as "legends"

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

My only peeve was how Disney said other than the 6 movies and the CGI Clone Wars, everything else isn't canon.

Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars Cartoon was by FAR the best media of the prequel. The story, characterization, pacing. I can't name any cons to it. 10/10. Now its not canon?

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    My only peeve was how Disney said other than the 6 movies and the CGI Clone Wars, everything else isn't canon.

Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars Cartoon was by FAR the best media of the prequel. The story, characterization, pacing. I can't name any cons to it. 10/10. Now its not canon?
    Its irritating. It certainly gave me pause in deciding whether I should return to the galaxy and get involved again. But the quality of marvels output has got me interested again even though I tried to ignore it lol. I could not ignore the will of the force lol.

I would recommend SW and DV titles to any SW fan. So far both runs have been amazing with a few revelations too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyparker75 View Post
    Think that Marvel salvaged SW? Well Im asking fans not telling them they did. Im getting their opinions on it. For me they have no question but maybe not for others.
    Like I said I don't read them but one of the first think I hear about Star Wars & Marvel was the word retcon. Hm for me Marvel has shown zero interest in long term fans, in many cases they seem to take the opposite route on purpose. They feed their sales by breaking taboos in the specific set of a titles and than promote this as a new sensational issue like never before. What will happen with all the characters or the title in the long term they don't care much. ~.~ In case of Marvel's other comic because of this there is a constant shift to reader which like this new approach.

The problem with that is one hand they need and want older readers on the other hand they try get new readers by those changes to get on readers which were never interested in Marvels stuff because it is too superheroish

Spideyparker75

Quote Originally Posted by TakoM View Post
    Like I said I don't read them but one of the first think I hear about Star Wars & Marvel was the word retcon. Hm for me Marvel has shown zero interest in long term fans, in many cases they seem to take the opposite route on purpose. They feed their sales by breaking taboos in the specific set of a titles and than promote this as a new sensational issue like never before. What will happen with all the characters or the title in the long term they don't care much. ~.~ In case of Marvel's other comic because of this there is a constant shift to reader which like this new approach.

The problem with that is one hand they need and want older readers on the other hand they try get new readers by those changes to get on readers which were never interested in Marvels stuff because it is too superheroish
    it seems that Marvel are getting their own back. Remember they had a comic back during the original trilogy and when the EU properly launched in 1991 with Heir To The Empire (Splinter Of The Minds Eye aside) they basically ignored a lot of what had been done in those marvel comics. I had a few and for the most part were rubbish. I do remember an episode where Leia was singing to a lovesick wampa in a nightclub and Lando disguised himself as Drebble or someone like this and the story of the missing pilot Tay Vanis (its a long time ago and his robot Elllie 914). These were okay but all ignored when the EU took off with Heir.

It feels like payback in a way. When Marvel gets their hands on any liscence they tend to do things their way.

Star Wars didn't need Marvel's help.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    This.

While Marvel is putting out some good SW stuff, SW was not in need of any saving

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Indeed. That franchise has always made shitload of cash.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that that hadn't been canon once the CGI Clone Wars overwrote it, long before Disney came along.