Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Proof that it isn't just the X-books getting jobbed.

http://newwarriors.com/archives/2440

Per Marvel.com, New Warriors was ranked #5 out of the top 10 teams in the MU last year and their book STILL gets cancelled?

Marvel, stop playing favorites and give the fans what they want.

Hint: It isn't more Avengers books.

It was cancelled due to low sales. Them being ranked #5 means nothing if the book doesn't have the numbers to support it.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    It was cancelled due to low sales. Them being ranked #5 means nothing if the book doesn't have the numbers to support it.
    A selected list from the Top 300 Comic Books for November 2014 (which is basically what comic book shops in most of the U.S. and in parts of Canada ordered from Diamond):
    8th - Avengers and X-Men Axis #4 - 79,068 copies
    9th - Avengers and X-Men Axis #5 - 74,928 copies
    11th - Avengers and X-Men Axis #6 - 73,824 copies
    16th - Guardians of Galaxy #21 - 62,387 copies
    17th - Captain America and Mighty Avengers #1 - 60,206 copies
    21st - Uncanny X-Men #28 - 55,939 copies
    23rd - Avengers #38 - 54,368 copies
    29th - Inhuman #8 - 50,766 copies
    37th - New Avengers #26 - 46,318 copies
    46th - New Avengers #27 - 40,408 copies
    57th - Amazing X-Men #13 - 36,338 copies
    65th - Guardians 3000 #2 - 34,467
    66th - Captain America and Mighty Avengers #2 - 34,428 copies
    78th - X-Men #21 - 31,468 copies
    83rd - Wolverine and X-Men #12 - 28,457 copies
    88th - Avengers World #15 - 27,139 copies
    97th - Fantastic Four #13 - 25,432 copies
    108th - All New X-Factor #16 - 21,276
    115th - X-Force #12 - 19,369 copies
    124th - Secret Avengers #10 - 17,652 copies
    140th - All New Invaders #12 - 15,613 copies
    156th - All New Ultimates #10 - 13,559 copies
    162nd - New Warriors #12 - 13,226 copies

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomi...4/2014-11.html

You can look through previous lists to find when / how long New Warriors sold better than X-Men and Avengers titles.

Agreed and that's totally true and accurate/ understandable...

However, the book was mostly an after thought, tied into an event that was unpopular and the whole inhumans stuff was all a bit flubbed.

The biggest thing was the book was , yet again , not the original roster...and did not bring back several of the fan favorite characters. Marvel has been running blind from using the fantastic vol.1 issue 25 or so roster for years.

Yost and To are talented but not giant draws. The book was pretty good but not great. We could also argue the presence of Sam Alexander disenfranchised some older fans.

New Warriors needs a solid investment to work..I've always argued Marvel clowned them and deconstruct ed them on the biggest stage, at some point the company owes it to the group to prop them up on a big stage.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 08-15-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    The biggest thing was the book was , yet again , not the original roster...
    I don't think that was the problem at all. I think the main issue is that the New Warriors as a brand and a name hold little to no weight with comic fans anymore. You use the original roster and you'll have the shrinking fanbase supporting it... and? What it comes down to is having the right premise and creative team. Any character or team book can sell with those things in mind. Nostalgia for an old C-List book won't magically make it sell.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You can look through previous lists to find when / how long New Warriors sold better than X-Men and Avengers titles.
    Your listing shows New Warriors at the very bottom of the list. The book debuted at just under 46 000 orders, and by #4, was already below 20 000. So, yeah, the sales on the last volume suuuuucked. I liked the book, but it had some awful numbers.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The title sold like moist filth on a hot summer's day. Any title that sold that poorly is going to be be canceled.

I don't think that was the problem at all. I think the main issue is that the New Warriors as a brand and a name hold little to no weight with comic fans anymore. You use the original roster and you'll have the shrinking fanbase supporting it... and? What it comes down to is having the right premise and creative team. Any character or team book can sell with those things in mind. Nostalgia for an old C-List book won't magically make it sell.
    Was it a 'C' list book? I thought the original series was a huge seller. They proved so popular they were going to have a New Warriors B team. Then editorial screwed things up and the book was eventually cancelled :-(

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Was it a 'C' list book? I thought the original series was a huge seller. They proved so popular they were going to have a New Warriors B team. Then editorial screwed things up and the book was eventually cancelled :-(
    By "original series", do you mean the one that came out all the way back in 1990?

Gosh, weren't the early 1990s back when comics were being bought on speculation in hopes of turning around and quickly reselling any new series and/or comic book with a hot artist for thousands of dollars? (Think Liefeld and the New Mutants as one glaring example.) Comic book sales of new titles from the early 1990s might not have been hot just because people actually read the book and cared about the stories. Besides, that was soooooooooooo last century!

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
    http://newwarriors.com/archives/2440

Per Marvel.com, New Warriors was ranked #5 out of the top 10 teams in the MU last year and their book STILL gets cancelled?

Marvel, stop playing favorites and give the fans what they want.

Hint: It isn't more Avengers books.
    Dude we have 6 upcoming x-books. They are not getting jobbed
    X-Men Forever

BANNED

Random guy/gal on the internet gives advice to multi-billion company....Sounds legit....Because, hey, the fact that New Warriors sold like a limited-release horror movie, means that people want more NW dammit! This board...

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Dude we have 6 upcoming x-books. They are not getting jobbed
    Two are solos based around Wolverine characters and Deadpool will more than likely be used to prop MCU characters. The O5 will be taking up space that could be better used for an X-Factor. By my count we have two X-Books coming, well those are the only ones I'm buying anyway.

Yeah well, Wasp is the 23th character with most apperances in 616 but somehow 150 other characters get to be in books instead of her so... You get the point.

BANNED

The New Warriors are sort of a low-rent version of the Teen Titans, they came out about a decade past the NTT Wolfman/Perez heyday, and it featured almost nobody with any fan following (to be fair Marvel didn't focus on young heroes in the first few decades, not having any sidekicks of note that were living). Every comic is probably somebody's favorite, but I seriously doubt anyone aside from Marvel themselves ever ranked them as the fifth best anything (other than maybe "comic featuring Nova").

They're better off going the Avengers Academy/Initiative route and using young heroes under the profitable Avengers banner rather than a title/name that most people either don't care about or have bad memories of. If they'd called the New Mutants X-Men Academy or Young X-Men it probably would have sold better (though as part of the X-Men juggernaut it still sold quite well, even before the Liefeld X-Force branding).

Well the title did suck. I got the first 3(?) issues, mainly because I heard there was an Asian dude in it then I found out he was part-man part-kirin... Just terrible.

Was hoping for a cool Asian dude got a My Little Pony knockoff.