Default Shut up and take my money

Hi all. I'm looking for a little help.

I've been itching to pick up some more image titles, as I'm really enjoying what I currently pull from the company - the fade out, east of west, low, deadly class, saga, velvet, outcast etc. (If you are interested in my full pull list, just click the link on the description.)

However there are a few titles which have also peaked my interest, and would love to hear some thoughts on them.

In no particular order:

Morning Glories
    Injection
    Rat Queens
    Five Ghosts
    Starve

I would be grateful for anyone's input to build a discussion! Peace.

I've only read a couple of issues of Morning Glories, but i do have all three OHC's waiting in a pile. I didn't think it would be a book I'd like considering the cheesecake covers and visuals, but it is a really well written story (what i read) and was enough to pique my interest to buy the hardcovers.

I think you can get all of the first issues of these series on Comixology for free, so give them a go there.

Recommendations are a very subjective thing, but here goes anyway :
    - Morning Glories.. I've read several arcs, and like the TV show "lost", it frustrates me by posing more questions than it answers. Not continuing with this one.
    - Injection - fascinating, and getting better as the characters and their relationships become more fleshed out. Recommended.
    - Rat Queens - my favourite comic, even ahead of Saga, Sex Criminals, Lazarus and Velvet, all of which are excellent. Funny, earthy and moving. Unfortunately Rat Queens has been bedevilled by staff changes resulting in long delays. Much like drummers in Spinal Tap, or Defense against the Dark Arts teachers, the artists on RQ are cursed. Hopefully the new (third) artist won't flame out any time soon. Highly recommended!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    I've only read a couple of issues of Morning Glories, but i do have all three OHC's waiting in a pile. I didn't think it would be a book I'd like considering the cheesecake covers and visuals, but it is a really well written story (what i read) and was enough to pique my interest to buy the hardcovers.

I think you can get all of the first issues of these series on Comixology for free, so give them a go there.
    In what possible sense could Morning Glories be considered cheesecake?

But yeah TC, MG is great. Highly recommended.

I also dig Five Ghosts. Its a throughback to classic pulps and is a very fun read.

Of the 5, Rat Queens is the only on I truly love, the rest are just okay. Unfortunately it is plagued with behind the scenes drama that causes seemingly infinite delays.

Morning Glories was supposed to be the new LOST and wound up a confusing, supernatural Gossip Girl.

Starve only has 2 issues so it could wind up being better than I realize. You can't fully judge a book before the first arc ends. It's kinda like Transmetropolitan meets Iron Chef.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 08-16-2015 at 04:47 AM.

Incredible Member

Of the five books you've listed, the only one I'd recommend without hesitation is Five Ghosts. It feels like watching pulp Saturday morning TV shows like you would imagine an Indiana Jones TV show would be like.

I've also read Rat Queens, but have dropped it do to the constant change in artists. It's ok. If you are interested enough to consider it, you may like it.

I tried Injection for a couple of issues and just couldn't get into it.

If you're not already reading them, consider Lazarus and Invisible Republic as well.

Thanks everyone. This has been really useful.

I'm not reading Invisible Republic. I've not even heard of it! :O

Four issues into injection and i'm still not entirely sure what's going on but it's starting to make more sense and the character relationships are becoming a lot more clearer, plus the art is still great as ever.

Rat Queens is awesome, was definitely my favorite Image comic for a time but it's been plagued with artist turnover and delays that has really hurt this series for me (through no fault of the series creator Kurtis).
    I also really love Five Ghosts, although it may not be for everyone. Think of it as an pulpy Indiana Jones movie, it's great.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

I've only read two of the series, so far.

Morning Glories - I quit. Reminded me of The X-Files. It started out great, but the story just kept going and going. Getting more and more complicated with no answers.

Rat Queens - Probably my favorite comic on the stands, right now.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    In what possible sense could Morning Glories be considered cheesecake?

But yeah TC, MG is great. Highly recommended.

I also dig Five Ghosts. Its a throughback to classic pulps and is a very fun read.
    I'm talking about the covers.

BANNED

Morning Glories is the best thing Image publishes. Lazarus is a close second. East of West is very good. Trees and Injection both work for me but I'm an Ellis fanboy...