Page 124 of 211 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174 ... LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 3162
    Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 7 out of 10

The Salesman (Oscar winner for best Foreign movie) - 7.5 out of 10

Alien: covenant.

In space, no one can hear you facepalming at how freaking stupid the characters are. That was something already quite present in the last movie but man, they sure aren't any smarter in the future.

Shame cause there are some good elements but that level of moronic behavior just killed my immersion in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

In space, no one can hear you facepalming at how freaking stupid the characters are. That was something already quite present in the last movie but man, they sure aren't any smarter in the future.

Shame cause there are some good elements but that level of moronic behavior just killed my immersion in the story.
    Haven't seen Covenant, but agree about Prometheus. Including Charlize Theron running from the big rolling spaceship instead of, you know, just running to the side out of the way.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

out of curiosity how was Danny McBride?

Amazing Member

Danny McBride was... Danny McBride. His character is written to perfectly simulate what Danny McBride might do and say in the character's situation. That said, he turned in a good performance. He even gets a chance to show some actual dramatic chops. I had no real issues with his character. Unfortunately, the crew's personalities and relationships were relegated to "Alien: Covenant Prologues" on Youtube.

And just like when Marvel de-mystified Wolverine's origin, we lose a great deal of what made the Alien species so interesting to begin with.

Still, I didn't think it was a terrible movie. I just wish they hadn't taken the story in that direction. Alien: Covenant is part of a whole, with a couple more sequels planned to flesh the whole thing out, but as it stands, there are still some headscratchers to be addressed, and broken links that appear retconned to fit the narrative.

Koe no Katachi aka A Silent Voice

About a boy who bullies a deaf girl who then transfers out. Soon the boy is singled out and bullied. This was incredibly hard to watch, seeing them deal with depression, anxiety, suicide, and relationships. There were some tender interactions and laugh out loud moments but whew, my emotions were pretty raw afterwards.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Some random thoughts on Alien (just because I have too much time on my hands waiting for my mail): There hasn't been an Alien movie I enjoyed since A3. I was in 6th grade when it came out and I was under an Alien spell for like 6 months. This was the coolest and most realistic looking starbeast onscreen ever. The dark prison setting, the bald lady, it was a sequel yet a unique movie. I became a Fincher fan without knowing it back then. Aliens (1986) while almost flawless is clearly an action piece and it lacks the quiet built-up horror and elegance from Scott's 1979 movie. I'm more of a Predator guy (you can't be both) but once in a while I revisit Alien I - III and enjoy it for the craftsmanship and the filmmakers involved. Sadly it all let into Alien vs Predator (dumb name for a moneygrabber) which ultimately leads to BvS for me.

Dear Zindagi.

Loved it.

9/10

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post

JUDGE DREDD (1995)
    8/10

This movie is criminally underrated. It's flawed for sure, but it's certainly not bad, and I say that as I picked it apart bit by bit to fully determine what is wrong with it.
    I will not list it as one of the bad movies I enjoy, I will not use the term I hate 'guilty pleasure' to list it, it's one of my favorite CBMs, and it's much better than the higher regarded CBM of that year.
    As I started reading the comics, I can see why the author thinks this movie is less faithful to the character he created, and he's right in that regard, it's less faithful than it should have been.
    It's literally been over 20yrs since I've seen this movie, but I remember sorta thinking it was not bad.

^I think visually it's very good. Stallone is a problem, though.

I saw Sameblod, a Swedish film directed by Amanda Kernell, and starring Lene Cecilia Sparrok as Elle-Marja, a teenaged girl living in a small Sami community in the first half of the 20th century. Really enjoyed it, a true eye opener.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Alien: Covenant

Look, yeah, there are some pretty questionable actions done by a lot of these characters. They are, much like in Prometheus, all idiots. It also felt like there was a whole part of this movie at the end that could have just been cut out and we wouldn't have missed anything. It wasn't necessary.

That being said, I enjoyed it overall. It isn't as good as Alien or Aliens, but it was way better than Alien 3 and the AVP movies.

Basically, if you were able to enjoy Prometheus for what it was, then Alien: Covenant will most likely be the same for you.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Incredible Member

I saw this movie called Horns recently that had Daniel Radcliffe(Harry Potter) in it, based on a book by Stephen King's son. Overall, a mixed bag. The first half was boring as hell and just weird for the sake of being weird with most of the cast giving bad performances. The second half goes full batshit crazy and becomes fun to watch.

I went to see GOTG2 again the theater for the second time the other day. I still have some nitpicks and bones I'd like to pick with the movie, but it's so much fun and has so much heart that I can't make myself dislike it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    I saw this movie called Horns recently that had Daniel Radcliffe(Harry Potter) in it, based on a book by Stephen King's son. Overall, a mixed bag. The first half was boring as hell and just weird for the sake of being weird with most of the cast giving bad performances. The second half goes full batshit crazy and becomes fun to watch.

I went to see GOTG2 again the theater for the second time the other day. I still have some nitpicks and bones I'd like to pick with the movie, but it's so much fun and has so much heart that I can't make myself dislike it.
    I saw that one a while ago. Yeah, it was a weird ass movie.

I agree, GotG 2 has a lot of heart.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Watched last night:

The Spy Who Loved Me (Blu-Ray)
    With Sir Roger Moore having passed away yesterday, I watched that film last night in his honor. For my money, I thought it was Moore's best outing as James Bond.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!