Page 109 of 211 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119159209 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 3162
    Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

a monster calls, very good and sad
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Kong: Skull Island.

It's got some annoying issues like too much slow-mo, intrusive and forced soundtrack moments and some flat humor. But it's largely incredibly entertaining, visually stunning with a fun cast of characters.

7/10 from an objective view.

8/10 for pure entertainment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    Revisited Doctor Strange tonight.

This might be controversial, but does anyone think that Doctor Strange is actually the worst of the MCU films? Don't get me wrong, I like it, and Cumberbatch is actually one of the best parts of the movie, but I watched it again tonight, and what I can't get over is just how rushed it is. We get two minutes of Stephen Strange acting like an arrogant brat in his normal life as a surgeon, and then boom, car accident. Boom, Kamar-Taj. Boom, Sorcerer Supreme. Boom, Dormammu. There's never enough time for us to settle into Stephen's character and appreciate his character growth like what we saw in the first Iron Man(And even Iron Man 2).
    I should put you on my ignore list for that sacrilegious statement!

Seriously, I think that Dr. Strange is far and away one of the best films that they've done. It had depth and a plot and a fleshed out character. I had no intention on seeing it and only caught it before it left the theaters, and I was massively impressed. It was more than a live action video game which is essentially what the first Avengers, all 3 Iron Men films and Thor were. They could easily have taken the lazy way out and just made it a SFX extravaganza but they didn't. I did disagree with the transformation of the Chiwetel Ejiofor character at the end though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I should put you on my ignore list for that sacrilegious statement!

Seriously, I think that Dr. Strange is far and away one of the best films that they've done. It had depth and a plot and a fleshed out character. I had no intention on seeing it and only caught it before it left the theaters, and I was massively impressed. It was more than a live action video game which is essentially what the first Avengers, all 3 Iron Men films and Thor were. They could easily have taken the lazy way out and just made it a SFX extravaganza but they didn't. I did disagree with the transformation of the Chiwetel Ejiofor character at the end though.
    It's odd how people perceive things so differently. To me, that's all it was-A CGI extravaganza with the most perfunctory sense of character and story imaginable. It costed on being part of the MCU and it's visuals. It didn't strive for ANYTHING past checking familiar boxes.

Live action video game? The first Iron Man? Surely to jest!

All-New Member

Logan 5/5 due to it being the movie wolverine needed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GizmotheStark89 View Post
    It's odd how people perceive things so differently. To me, that's all it was-A CGI extravaganza with the most perfunctory sense of character and story imaginable. It costed on being part of the MCU and it's visuals. It didn't strive for ANYTHING past checking familiar boxes.

Live action video game? The first Iron Man? Surely to jest!
    Not at all. I was bored to tears watching the film, Downy as Tony reminded me of Eddie Haskell on Leave it to Beaver--a smarmy smart ass with a big mouth. Tony is much more than that. I could see the villain coming a mile away. I just found it boring, predictable and lacking in the heart of what Marvel comics (used to be) about. The house and cars were nice though.

Skull Island was fun.

Keep an ear open for a SL Jackson line early in the action. It's a quote of one of his other famous lines in another blockbuster.

And definitely stay for the after-credits scene.
    Last edited by hulahulk; 03-12-2017 at 02:52 PM.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Kong: Skull Island
    A good old fashioned monster movie is always a fun time for me. A good old fashioned monster movie with Samuel L. Jackson is even more fun, and this movie was a blast. I'd even go so far as to say this was THE best King Kong movie since the 1933 original. And while this is just my opinion, I thought John C. Reilly stole the show. Two thumbs up for this film.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Kong Skull Island - 7 out of 10. The CGI was excellent but overall I don't think the storytelling was that exciting. Personally I think Godzilla was the better movie from this soon to be franchise.

Amazing Member

Logan (9/10) on Saturday. Kong (8/10) on Sunday. I agree with the comment that Dr. Strange sucked. What happened to the Ditko visuals? A caste of sorcerers use their magic to... stab people? Strange is almost nothing like his comic counterpart. Mordo's evil turn is weak as all hell. Props for doing a great visual representation of Dormammu's dimension, but Dormammu himself..? Meh. Thor, Dr. Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy have been the worst Marvel movies, to me. I am not at all looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

My enjoyment of Kong: Skull Island led me to revisit Peter Jackson's King Kong after years. Man, the hate this movie gets is simply unfair. I will agree Jackson simply went too indulgent with it, but it's overall such a reverential and ambitious film I can't help but fall in love with it every time I see it. It's a testament to the craft of filmmaking as a whole and is as robust and gleefully adventurous as any film ever made. Not all of it works. It runs on too long and there are a few times it comes off as a little pretentious (all those slowed down shots of close-up, emoting faces...come on, Pete...) but despite all of it's blemishes, the sheer love and affection that bleeds through the screen makes the flaws all but disappear to me.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    A good old fashioned monster movie is always a fun time for me. A good old fashioned monster movie with Samuel L. Jackson is even more fun, and this movie was a blast. I'd even go so far as to say this was THE best King Kong movie since the 1933 original. And while this is just my opinion, I thought John C. Reilly stole the show. Two thumbs up for this film.
    I had a good time seeing Kong: Skull Island, but it wasn't the best Kong film, to me. That honor still goes to the O.G.'33, then 2005 Kong. But Skull Island was still pretty good. I took issue with some of the slow-motion shots, and I found it odd that we only ever saw one of each of the giant insects. Insects are normally found in groups, so to see only one of this insect, and one of that insect, and one of yet one more... struck me as odd. Also, the Kong/Brie Larson interaction was totally forced and unnecessary. I did not like that.

Also, I know the soundtrack is kind of in-your-face, but I really enjoyed that, and somehow felt right to me. It doesn't work in every movie (Suicide Squad), but here, I wasn't bothered by it at all. Enjoyed the nods to Godzilla 2014 during the exposition scenes, but the film credits kinda gave away what should have been the "HOLY ****!!" after-credit scene. I wonder if there is any concept art? I'd love to see what Legendary has cooked up for the future of the franchise.

Man, I just love John Goodman. He always turns in a believable and heartfelt performance. John Goodman, Samuel L. Jackson and John C. Reilly turned in really great performances. Everyone else is just phoning it in, with not much to do. Hiddleston is pretty much wasted in this movie. Literally anyone could have played his role. I expected Sam Jackson to phone it in, but he played the role with supremely convincing conviction. When Sam turns on the glare, you know he means business.

Oh, props to Jason Mitchell, who plays Mills. He was surprisingly entertaining and funny in the beginning, but when the **** hit the fan, he became appropriately staunch and conflicted. During the movie I viewed him as kind of a throw-away character, but by movie's end, I found I really liked his character. I'll have to see what else Mr. Mitchell has done. He may be someone to look out for.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by GizmotheStark89 View Post
    My enjoyment of Kong: Skull Island led me to revisit Peter Jackson's King Kong after years. Man, the hate this movie gets is simply unfair. I will agree Jackson simply went too indulgent with it, but it's overall such a reverential and ambitious film I can't help but fall in love with it every time I see it. It's a testament to the craft of filmmaking as a whole and is as robust and gleefully adventurous as any film ever made. Not all of it works. It runs on too long and there are a few times it comes off as a little pretentious (all those slowed down shots of close-up, emoting faces...come on, Pete...) but despite all of it's blemishes, the sheer love and affection that bleeds through the screen makes the flaws all but disappear to me.
    Well said. The only scene that takes me out of the movie for a minute is the Bronto stampede. I can't help but notice how Jack & Co. are somehow not being trampled. I love this movie, and it holds up well today. The sense of excitement, wonder and adventure are only surpassed by the original.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Almost every review i see is the monsters and Kong are great the cast is ok but flat. Except John.C Reily who steals the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Almost every review i see is the monsters and Kong are great the cast is ok but flat. Except John.C Reily who steals the show.
    Sounds a lot like Godzilla .