Page 6 of 211 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    Scicario-Emily Blunt's performance in the Edge of Tomorrow was the real reason I saw the film. I really disliked it a lot. Boring and derivative, I also found Blunt's character to be whinny.
    Yea I found it just OK and I realised while watching it that they were sort of aping Zero Dark Thirty, female lead in a World of men, involved in a dangerous situation. One was terrorism, the other drug cartels. I was getting the feeling that this movie would not have been greenlight without ZDT's success. The only thing I liked was the ending where we saw the unique relationship between Del Toro and Blunt's character.

BANNED

Watched The Lazarus Effect on Netflix. I went into it with fairly low expectations, but it had the rather unusual effect of both being better than I expected while still being a disappointment.

Go Phillies

Goodfellas (again). 4/5 stars

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation and Self/Less.

Rogue Nation was just a great movie. As far as Self/Less is concerned...Tarsem sure can put together a gorgeous looking movie. I wonder if he would be better of being a DP than a director.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

I watched Pan. First half was quite good - liked Levi Miller as Peter and Hugh Jackman chews scenery. Second half in Neverland is by the numbers and Hook and Tiger Lily's roles are IMO under-developed. 3 out of 5 stars.

Also watched Anchorman 2 at home. Silly fun that I thoroughly enjoyed. Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd, Steve Carrell, Kristen Wiig and James marsden and so many more - great cast indeed. 3.5 out of 5

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Watched The Lazarus Effect on Netflix. I went into it with fairly low expectations, but it had the rather unusual effect of both being better than I expected while still being a disappointment.
    How much like Flatliners is this? Because it looks like some remake of Flatliners, and Flatliners was pretty bad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
    Attachment 28484
    Frank. It was awesome.
    I liked this movie so much. It popped up on Netflix I think not long after it came out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    How much like Flatliners is this? Because it looks like some remake of Flatliners, and Flatliners was pretty bad.
    Haven't seen Flatliners in ages, so I can't make a specific comparison. It's the same basic story: scientists trying to conquer death and having it blow up in their faces. But the set up, tone, and execution are different. Lazarus starts to veer off in a very different direction after the big resurrection scene, but ends up devolving into stock horror cliches.

Go Phillies

Birdman- 3/5 stars. Uneven storytelling and a scattered plot, but strong performances from Keaton and Stone made it worth-while to me. The last 20 minutes (and especially the ending) were some of the best moments on-screen that I saw in 2014.

Go Phillies

A Most Wanted Man- 3.5/5 stars

Straight Outta Compton 3.5/5
    .5 for the fanboy moments if you're into 90s hip hop.
    as a movie on it's own, it's not well done
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Astonishing Member

Jaws 2.
    Jaws 3.
    Jaws 4.
    Jurassic World.

Enjoyed Jaws 2 and Jurassic World.
    Jaws 3 and 4,were rather mediocre movies.

BANNED

Watched Moonrise Kingdom, which was really good. Made me realize two things: one, I really want to see Wes Anderson do some Lord of the Rings/Excalibur medieval fantasy type thing where characters are just wandering in forest going on some quest...because god damn can Wes Anderson shot the **** out of people walking in a forest; and the other thing, I really want to see him do a horror film. That SNL The Midnight Coterie of Sinister Intruders short kind of feels lazy when Moonrise Kingdom actually had some good horror imagery they didn't take for it.

The other thing I watched was called Hungry Hearts, and I really liked this movie, probably more than Moonrise. We follow Kylo Reno Stimpy and his wife from when they first meet, (in a bathroom after our hero has taken a gnarly ****) through what becomes their very rocky marriage. I really love the way this movie was done, there are times the character perspectives will shift, and good people are being shown like they're villains in a horror film...oh, I just really like just about everything about how this movie was done.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Inside Out.

Very close to the top of my "best animated films of all time" list.

Despicable Me 2. Fun, not as good as the first one, but still fun.