Page 39 of 211 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Watched What We Do in the Shadows. Even with everything good I've heard about it, it was even better than I thought it would be. The movie is great. This is Thirst are the best vampire movies I've seen in the last, maybe, 10 years.
    Watched your recommendation Lesson of the Evil (and Breakfast at Tiffany's). The first half of Lesson was perfect, the second half the movie lost me a little but overall well done
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 03-24-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

watched Knight of Cups - usually do not like the term "art movie" but if ever there was an auteur it's Terence Malick. Interesting narrative. Existentialist. great cast (Christian Bale/Cate Blanchett/Nat Portman/Freida Pinto/Wes Bentley). Still not as successful as his other stuff (I enjoyed Tree of Life much more) and perhaps a little dull.

Go Phillies

Black Mass: 2/5 stars. It started out real cool with giving the Boston city vibe, but then it completely dropped it in favor of police work, Bulger just killing people, and the moral decline of Edgerton's character. Some of the hits were ridiculous. The first one was unbelievably obvious where they take the guy out near the river after he just told Bulger "fuck you" and yet the movie acted like it was a big surprise that he got capped. And then the girl getting killed was obvious too after they take her to an abandoned house, but at least the movie dropped the "secrecy" act in it and didn't act like it was a big fucking reveal. I also did not feel that Benedict Cumberbatch's character was necessary. And for a gangster film, it was very light on actual gangster activity; outside of shootings after guys snitched and/or fucked Bulger over somehow. I mean, it would have been cool to see them actually doing their business every now and then.

Last thing, for a gangster movie, it was remarkably short on memorable scenes. I mean five days from now, the only thing I might remember from this movie is Depp shooting the snitch with the shotgun and then steak recipe scene. Everything else was pretty boring and forgettable.

I have been in a Predator and Alien related stuff mood lately so i watched Predator 1 and 2, the two AvP ones and Predators.

Most of them are pretty average save for the first Predator who's of course the classic we all know and love. (so 80's, i actually smiled a couple of times just to look at how typical of that time some elements are)

But we do have a rare and shiny diamond here though : AvP Requiem. Terrible acting, ridiculous and pointless side stories (teen romance? really?), laughable characters, inept script...man, let me tell you, i haven't seen such a sad excuse of a movie since the last Star Trek.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 03-27-2016 at 02:00 AM.

Batman v Superman
    Come on, (its Batman on the big screen i just had to) there are some mistakes but if you watch it as dark action piece
    low on characterization and take your inner fanboy on a leash B v S is worth your time

The Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford
    quiet, slow western, cat and mouse psycho duell,

Selma, very powerful, and resonates today. After 50 years and passage of voting rights bills they are still trying to deny the right of minorities to vote. Alabama is still one of the worst offenders.
    And let's not get into police killing unarmed black people.

http://www.thenation.com/article/ala...voting-rights/

Turbo Kid on Netflix, its awesome

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Batman vs Superman: there were things I liked (Batfleck/Alfred/Gal) and things I didn't (mostly Lex/overall structure) but entertaining enough - 7 out of 10

The Dressmaker : really enjoyed it - quirky but dark - Kate Winslet + Liam Hemsworth are an odd romantic pair but it works - 8 out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Selma, very powerful, and resonates today. After 50 years and passage of voting rights bills they are still trying to deny the right of minorities to vote. Alabama is still one of the worst offenders.
    And let's not get into police killing unarmed black people.

http://www.thenation.com/article/ala...voting-rights/
    I really wanted to like this more than I did, it just never connected with me (outside of two moments). Even Oyelowo didn't deliver what I was hoping for (I mean, NO-ONE described his performance as "the definitive" Martin Luther King performance).

[from CBR's Kieran Frost's "100 Greatest Films" thread]
    http://community.comicbookresources....lms-quot/page5

SELMA (2014) [nom.]
    dir. Ava duVernay
    writer. Paul Webb
    Starring: David Oyelowo, Tom Wilkinson, Wendell Pierce, Lorraine Toussaint, Tim Roth and Oprah Winfrey

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: 1964. After accepting his Nobel Peace Prize, Dr. Martin Luther King (Oyelowo) turns his eye to the restriction on voting rights for black citizens in the South, and a non-violent march from Selma, Alabama to the state capital, Montgomery.

THOUGHTS: the subtitle of this film should be “How well Brits play famous America figures.” This film is oddly the opposite of my “gut instinct” about the Imitation Game (2014). I love David Oyelowo, he’s super sexy and incredibly talented; and from the trailer I thought the film would be unbelievably powerful and challenging. How disappointing to discover I felt very little for it by the end; I didn’t even care much for Oyelowo in it (he never really let lose). I very much enjoyed Lorraine Toussaint as Amelia Boynton Robinson (but I think a lot of that has to do with how much I adored her as “Queen Vee” in Orange is the New Black). It just… it didn’t move me. Maybe it's because this whole thing is so alien to me; I cannot begin to understand what this was like, that the importance and impact just isn't there? I can look at some of the technicals, for example how the “training scene” to remain non-violent when provoked was far more effective in the Butler (2013) (which ironically also had David Oyelowo participating in the Selma marches). But a film is more than just scene by scene specifics. It just didn't flow for me (and some things were just random; like calling a woman to sing down the phone to you). Obviously a lot of controversy surrounds the lack of nomination for Ava duVernay for Best Director (and I know I’ll get flack for this) but… meh. Little of the directing struck me as anything special. The explosion at the start and the first march across the bridge had a lot of power; but in between there was so so pacing, so so shots. It reminded me a lot of Julie Taymor’s work in Frida (2002); outside of specific moments (like the stunning bus crash) there was just absence. A great director is more than the sum of a few specific scenes.

OVERALL
    A sadly unmoving film; that never evoked the emotional response I wanted to give. David Oyelowo is very good as Dr. King; and the whole cast is solid. The film just doesn’t explore anything new, or re-explore anything in an exciting way. Pity.
    ~ rating: 2 out of 5 [grade: C-]

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-29-2016 at 05:32 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Go Phillies

I watched Spotlight. 3.5/5 stars. I genuinely enjoyed most of all the movie, but I felt there was a dearth of one or two great investigative scenes or moments that could have really elevated the movie. Great acting from Ruffalo, as usual, and Tucci especially shined in the movie. I thought this was the flattest performance I've ever seen Rachel McAdams give, as she is one of my favorite actresses and I she usually shines in everything she is in. I also thought the ending was a little anti-climatic. Still, a pretty good flick if you're in the mood for a well-acted movie without a ton of action or suspense.

Go Phillies

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I really wanted to like this more than I did, it just never connected with me (outside of two moments). Even Oyelowo didn't deliver what I was hoping for (I mean, NO-ONE described his performance as "the definitive" Martin Luther King performance).

[from CBR's Kieran Frost's "100 Greatest Films" thread]
    http://community.comicbookresources....lms-quot/page5

SELMA (2014) [nom.]
    dir. Ava duVernay
    writer. Paul Webb
    Starring: David Oyelowo, Tom Wilkinson, Wendell Pierce, Lorraine Toussaint, Tim Roth and Oprah Winfrey

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: 1964. After accepting his Nobel Peace Prize, Dr. Martin Luther King (Oyelowo) turns his eye to the restriction on voting rights for black citizens in the South, and a non-violent march from Selma, Alabama to the state capital, Montgomery.

THOUGHTS: the subtitle of this film should be “How well Brits play famous America figures.” This film is oddly the opposite of my “gut instinct” about the Imitation Game (2014). I love David Oyelowo, he’s super sexy and incredibly talented; and from the trailer I thought the film would be unbelievably powerful and challenging. How disappointing to discover I felt very little for it by the end; I didn’t even care much for Oyelowo in it (he never really let lose). I very much enjoyed Lorraine Toussaint as Amelia Boynton Robinson (but I think a lot of that has to do with how much I adored her as “Queen Vee” in Orange is the New Black). It just… it didn’t move me. Maybe it's because this whole thing is so alien to me; I cannot begin to understand what this was like, that the importance and impact just isn't there? I can look at some of the technicals, for example how the “training scene” to remain non-violent when provoked was far more effective in the Butler (2013) (which ironically also had David Oyelowo participating in the Selma marches). But a film is more than just scene by scene specifics. It just didn't flow for me (and some things were just random; like calling a woman to sing down the phone to you). Obviously a lot of controversy surrounds the lack of nomination for Ava duVernay for Best Director (and I know I’ll get flack for this) but… meh. Little of the directing struck me as anything special. The explosion at the start and the first march across the bridge had a lot of power; but in between there was so so pacing, so so shots. It reminded me a lot of Julie Taymor’s work in Frida (2002); outside of specific moments (like the stunning bus crash) there was just absence. A great director is more than the sum of a few specific scenes.

OVERALL
    A sadly unmoving film; that never evoked the emotional response I wanted to give. David Oyelowo is very good as Dr. King; and the whole cast is solid. The film just doesn’t explore anything new, or re-explore anything in an exciting way. Pity.
    ~ rating: 2 out of 5 [grade: C-]

Wow, I totally disagreed. I saw Selma when it came out in theaters, and I remember thinking it was a hell of a film. I don't see how it wasn't moving with the sit-ins, speeches, and marches. The murder of James Reeb was moving. You really got a feel of what it was like to live in the Deep South in the '60s (something I've never experienced living in the northeast as a millennial). Hoover and LBJ were played great, and I commend the film for not ending with MLK's death, something Lincoln could not resist the urge to do (and really ticked me off). I also appreciate the film for not selecting big-name A-list actors to appear as the characters. Seriously, I love Wesley Snipes, but if Wesley Snipes played Jackie Robinson in 42, I would probably be thinking that i'm watching Wesley Snipes steal bases in a Dodger uniform, not JR (unless Snipes did a hell of a job that transcended himself). The most recognizable out of the cast were Common and Bunk Moreland (whatever his real name is), and they both played figures I did not know prior to the movie. 4/5 stars.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Watch the Rifftrax of Wizards of the Lost Kingdom with some friends. So amazingly bad I'd recommend it for everyone.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by Omar 382 View Post
    I watched Spotlight. 3.5/5 stars. I genuinely enjoyed most of all the movie, but I felt there was a dearth of one or two great investigative scenes or moments that could have really elevated the movie. Great acting from Ruffalo, as usual, and Tucci especially shined in the movie. I thought this was the flattest performance I've ever seen Rachel McAdams give, as she is one of my favorite actresses and I she usually shines in everything she is in. I also thought the ending was a little anti-climatic. Still, a pretty good flick if you're in the mood for a well-acted movie without a ton of action or suspense.
    Saw it yesterday for ruffalo/keaton/mcadams/sabretooth and its so non-entertaining. Maybe I was in the wrong mood but I knew what I was in for with that topic. It felt like a documentary or a newspaper article. It didn't educate or made me think about the problems in a new way. Why was it made?

Go Phillies

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Saw it yesterday for ruffalo/keaton/mcadams/sabretooth and its so non-entertaining. Maybe I was in the wrong mood but I knew what I was in for with that topic. It felt like a documentary or a newspaper article. It didn't educate or made me think about the problems in a new way. Why was it made?
    I agree that it wanted to be more powerful than it was. Just because something is didactic doesn't make it powerful or necessarily influential.

My biggest problem was them mentioning a possible psychological reason for priest's pedophilia. It is never again mentioned. And the film tries to say that it's more than a "few bad apples in the bunch" but then does nothing to prove it. Is the 6% number higher than other professions that involve working with children? I don't know, and this movie doesn't answer the question. I still enjoyed the performances though.

Batman meets Superman
    2/10

What were they thinking?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage