Page 173 of 211 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 3162

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    It's a really good example of a movie that didn't age well for me at all. Not even Rickman can save the film from feeling too long with too many subplots.
    Yeah, to be honest i always found the brother subplot to be quite dispensable and kinda silly, but well, that movie is in my very select and prestigious top 5 nostalgia movies so i always end up forgiving it everything.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Yeah, to be honest i always found the brother subplot to be quite dispensable and kinda silly, but well, that movie is in my very select and prestigious top 5 nostalgia movies so i always end up forgiving it everything.
    And I appreciate that because I'm sure I have many movies like that. I pretty much spent my entire childhood watching tons of rented movies (and seeing some in theater).
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    It's a really good example of a movie that didn't age well for me at all. Not even Rickman can save the film from feeling too long with too many subplots.
    I just remember morgan Freeman impaling an old racist lady. Lol i havent seen that movie in so long but i never liked ot much to begin wirh. I rather watch Robinhood men in tights. I didnt realize that was Dave Chapel in that movie untill a few years ago

The Foreigner. Just out of bluray today.

Retired

When WHEN THINGS WERE ROTTEN appeared on our TV set in 1975, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. It's the saddest thing that that series didn't last. I guess MEN IN TIGHTS was Mel Brooks giving that concept a second life. But I don't know if I even saw the movie, to be honest.

Now, THE PRINCESS BRIDE that is a movie so many people admire to the extent they keep quoting it, yet I didn't find it that memorable. Maybe I was too old by the time it came along for it to be my cultural touchstone. It was a funny enough movie, but didn't strike me as so original. THE COURT JESTER, there's a great movie.

Get Out. Jordan Peele has a good future in Hollywood.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Retired

Over the weekend, I watched HOLLYWOODLAND--starring Batman and Martha Kent in a movie about the Death of Superman.

I've been watching the first season of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, so it was interesting to have a different take on George Reeves. But the movie left me feeling kind of empty. It raises questions that never get answered. And I sort of wonder why they made the movie. It seems like it's going to be a good film noir detective story, but it ends without arriving anywhere.

Released in 2006, the credits at the end are intriguing, because Adrien Brody gets top billing, then Diane Lane, then Ben Affleck. And I wonder if this was at one of the low points in Affleck's career (there have been a few). And maybe they wanted Affleck precisely because of the parallels with Reeves. Certainly Ben has been more fortunate than Reeves, but he's also had similar hard luck, some of his own making.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

The Greatest Showman - not the best thing ever but an entertaining blast
    The Last Jedi - The Force Returns was better but this was still really good
    Why Him? - silly nonsense but great cast
    Edge of Seventeen - really enjoyed this teen comedy alot.

I, Robot. First movie I watched in 2018!

Marhsall. Really enjoyed it. Boseman cant help but play historical black figures it would seem. Robinson,Brown, an Marshall down. Im guessing George Washington Carver or Sammie Davis Jr are in his future.

Baby Driver. Loved it!

For a while i thought the film will end in a cliched way without repercussions. But it did not. Maybe that would have been better. But i still loved it. No one can walk away from all this freely unless its Hollywood.

I missed it at the theater but I finally watched "Man from Uncle". I remember seeing the show as a kid. This was a different take but I thought it was fun and amusing and clever. I also enjoyed the early 1960s setting. I've always thought James Bond should be in the setting and culture that really spawned him which is roughly that era.

Of course, the movie was also one of the biggest box office flops of it's year. So setting it in the era that these sort of spy movies belong in may have been a mistake. It's just one of those movies I liked but few other people did.

In fairness, the first review I read (after seeing the move) started with: I hate reviews that compare movies that are remakes to previous versions rather than judging them on their own merits but... And then proceeded to several pages in which there never was a review, nothing but "I don't like it because in the old television show..."
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I missed it at the theater but I finally watched "Man from Uncle". I remember seeing the show as a kid. This was a different take but I thought it was fun and amusing and clever. I also enjoyed the early 1960s setting. I've always thought James Bond should be in the setting and culture that really spawned him which is roughly that era.

Of course, the movie was also one of the biggest box office flops of it's year. So setting it in the era that these sort of spy movies belong in may have been a mistake. It's just one of those movies I liked but few other people did.

In fairness, the first review I read (after seeing the move) started with: I hate reviews that compare movies that are remakes to previous versions rather than judging them on their own merits but... And then proceeded to several pages in which there never was a review, nothing but "I don't like it because in the old television show..."
    I saw this and mostly liked it. I think I saw the old TV maybe once all the way through, so I didn't have too many expectations of how it should have been or how faithful it was to the source material. It felt like a Guy Richie flick to me, so I had a good time.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

In the Name of the Father - starring Daniel Day Lewis, about a bombing during The Troubles (English troops in Northern Ireland in the 60s and 70s)
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I watched Interstellar again tonight. Love that film so much.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"