Page 174 of 211 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 3162
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I watched Interstellar again tonight. Love that film so much.
    I just watched this again last week. It's a really good movie
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I watched The Foreigner Thursday night and it was okay. I give it a 6/10

I also watched "It" last night and loved it! I don't normally like movies like this, but it was VERY good. I couldn't believe how many scenes were funny for a horror movie. And that Pennywise clown was freaky as all get out. I'm going to watch it again with my wife tomorrow. I give it a 9/10
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I watched Happy Death Day and loved it. A slasher version of Groundhog Day. I was really surprised when I saw that the writer of the movie was Scott Lobdell former long time X-book writer.

Invincible Member

Sunset Boulevard. Classic.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I watched Happy Death Day and loved it. A slasher version of Groundhog Day. I was really surprised when I saw that the writer of the movie was Scott Lobdell former long time X-book writer.
    The 1997 movie Retroactive starring James Belushi is probably my favorite action movie version of (time loop) Groundhog Day. It's a fun quirky movie which I feel like I'm the only one who knows about it or likes it.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Retired

I remember watching 12:01 (1993) on TV many years ago and wondering why I never knew about this movie with its "Groundhog Day" plot--starring Jonathan Silverman as an everyman caught in a time loop. Based on a 1990 short film starring Kurtwood Smith, which was based on a 1973 short story by comic book super-fan Richard A. Lupoff.

Retired

Lex Barker in TARZAN'S PERIL (1951) today, in my comprehensive viewing of all Tarzan movies. This is a significant movie for two reasons. It's the first Tarzan movie to be filmed in Africa (in Kenya). And Dorothy Dandrige is one of the stars--which I think is the first time an African-American actress had a speaking part in a Tarzan movie.

Alan Napier appears in his second Tarzan movie--he was in a previous Johnny Weissmuller picture, but as a different character. And George McReady is a truly sinister villain. The plot is rather standard, but there's so much background exposition that it feels like they could have added another hour to the picture. From what I've read there was a lot of film that proved unusable, so maybe they had to edit out some good stuff.

The movie combined footage shot in Kenya with other scenes shot in Hollywood, and apparently filming in Kenya was plagued with problems. However, the African performers and extras look like real tribes people which brings a sense of authenticity to the Tarzan movies for the first time. Yet the speaking roles are played by African-American actors--and the contrast is obvious.

This is the first Tarzan movie in a while that features black tribes people. For some reason--after African-American actors played the tribes people in almost all of the Tarzan movies through the 1930s--in the 1940s, tribes of people played by caucasian and Asian actors were featured in the Tarzan films. In those, it's mostly individual characters living in town that are played by African-Americans.

In this film, Dorothy Dandridge is an impressive queen of one tribe. Alan Napier's character admires her a lot and they have an emotional bond that might be paternal or romantic or both. However, Dandridge is absent for large parts of the movie. Nevertheless, she gets to do more than this movie's Jane. Sadly, Lex Barker had a different Jane in every picture, so there's no sense of character development with her.

Rather than Jane, it's really Cheeta who is the most reliable partner and friend to Tarzan--as is he/she in all these Tarzan movies, being both brave and funny. Lex Barker is an excellent Tarzan and he has many scenes of tense action; however, I'm pretty sure that, like me, many people back in the day were watching the Tarzan movies to see what Cheeta was going to do. Cheeta is one of the unsung heroes of classic action movies, who deserves to be celebrated for all the sacrifices those chmipanzee actors endured just to entertain us hominids.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 01-20-2018 at 10:48 PM.

I watched Toy Story 2 I love this movie.

Watched Star Wars The Force Awakens. I love this film. Yet i don't find it endlessly rewatchable as the originals. But then few films are. Solid and entertaining movie. I love the new characters and Harrison Ford as Han Solo is a treat to watch.

Watched 2001: A Space Odyessy again. By all logic the film shall be a snoozefest considering the kind of films i usually watch. Yet its so powerful and mesmerizing that its unbelievable. I remember it took me months to watch the film completely. While it looked good nothing was happening. And i had other things to do. More entertaining films to watch. But by the time i finished it i found it something unlike anything else. Almost hypnotic. I watched it the third time today and its hard to take my eyes off it. The music, the visuals, the scope, sense of realism and a lot of things combine to form a masterpiece. Its my favorite sci fi film. And it has a genuine shot in being my all time favorite. Its understandable that its not for everyone. I wonder how people reacted to it. I have the internet to understand what is happening. But back then it must have been outrageous.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-22-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Lassiter. Tom Selleck, Lauren Hutton, Jane Seymore, Bob Hoskins, Joe Regalbuto, and Ed Lauter (1984).

This was clearly a studio trying to catch up with Raiders of the Lost Ark by me-tooing out a "vs. the Nazis"-period-piece, and doing so with the man-that-might-have-been-Dr. Jones. It also seems to me that the editing did the film a disservice by putting some of the story's "set-up" scenes later in the film, some of the supporting characters are a little one-dimensional, and it's got a typical dose of 1980s gratuitous skin.

All that said, it's a fun adventure romp. The stunts are good, and the sets and costuming are lush and convincing.

I'd be a little afraid to see it remade for fear of how modern approaches might try to "Breaking Bad" it, but I'd still like to see what somebody like Howard would do with it.

images.jpg

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

well I finally saw Fant4stic and color me surprised for once I found that something was as bad as everyone said it was.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Went to see The Post yesterday. I found it quite an intriguing journalism drama about the Washington Post and the Pentagon Papers which they published as Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks turned in solid performances. Another winner for Steven Spielberg.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Lassiter. Tom Selleck, Lauren Hutton,
    Speaking of Hutton, I watched:
    Someone's Watching Me! (1978, John Carpenter)

And it was a really great made-for-TV movie. Made just before Carpenter's Halloween.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Watched Alien: Covenant, again. It was comforting to know that the characters were just as dumb the second time around as they were the first.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar

Went to see the Post.... really dug it.