Page 196 of 211 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,940 of 3162

Mulholland Drive: At times comedic. At times scary. At times romantic. And making no sense after sometime. What the heck did i watch? I liked it. But the film is bizarre.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-02-2018 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If you haven’t yet, you owe it to youself to see DERSU UZALA (1975). It’s very different from his major work, but once you’ve seen it, you belong to a special club. And we will all welcome you, with the greeting: Dersu!
    Ohhh, thank-you for this recommendation. I'll look this up!

Quote Originally Posted by gooch4011 View Post
    Suicide Squad. I had heard it was terrible so I had been avoiding it for a while, but a friend bought it and brought it over so we all watched it. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. I kind of had a "meh" feeling the whole way through. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but I don't know, it didn't really grab me either. I've really enjoyed all the other movies from the DCEU especially Justice League. I really liked that movie.
    Shamelessly gonna plug my "100 Greatest Movies" thread on CBR.
    http://community.comicbookresources....lms-quot/page8

SUICIDE SQUAD (2016)
    dir. David Ayer
    writer. based on the DC comic books of the same name
    Starring: Viola Davis, Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Jai Courtney, Cara Delevingne and Jared Leto

THOUGHTS: I will say... it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be; but it certainly wasn't good. The entire film is very lazy. It's a paint-by-numbers introduction to characters (from their own trending-on-iTunes song, to a cliché -- and brief -- flashback, while heavy music roars and they effortlessly do something smashy smashy killy stabby). It's all designed to batter the audience over the head with one concept: KEWL!!!!!! [insert bro fist-bump] You need to instantly show someone is badass? No problem, add lots of tattoos. Not enough. Throw in a grill. Then have them get in someone's face, that's how badass mother f*ckers talk to one another, right? Rinse. Repeat. Rinse. Repeat. Not since the Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) have a felt a superhero film spent so much time telling me how amazing it is, rather than evoking that feeling within me using things like: plot, character beats, originality and intelligence. Add into the mix a director whose idea of cinema is being a carbon copy of Zack Snyder's OTT style; it was never going to be good. THAT SAID it's still fun, to a degree. Viola Davis is giving me life; her character is an unapologetic bitch with a mission, and I loved it. Will Smith is always serviceable and makes it work, House of Cards Joel Kinnaman adds some much needed depth to a character who could very easily be a tedious, 2D soldier and Jai Courtney's comic timing pleased me. But they are all blown away by Margo Robbie. I am SUCH a Margo Robbie fan; she takes lemons and creates a lemonade industry. She carved out a career from a boringly written, substance-less role in Wolf of Wall Street (2013), making it a million times more interesting that pretty T&A; and here she took Harlequin (who could SO EASILY have been a very unnecessarily sexualized goth) and made her this nuanced, bold and fabulous nutcase. Yes her Harlequin oozed sex BUT it was creepy sex. It wasn't attractive, it was terrifying and of all the characters she was at once the funniest, the darkest, the most sympathetic and yet the most messed up. Everything about Margo Robbie screams brilliance. She WILL have an Oscar one day, she's dynamite. And if she doesn't get a solo film for Harlequin out of this I'd be AMAZED. Her male counterpart... was less impressive. Upon release the critics were divided on Jared Leto's Joker. Personally I thought it was awful. The worst Joker I've seen on screen. To take the most iconic villain of comics and make him some grilled, petty, empty vessel... very disappointing. And everything else in the film... just falls flat. I didn't like that the team existed to stop the problem they themselves created. It doesn't allow the complexity that could encompass this concept; how far do you go for security? How much evil can you do in the name of good? I'd have liked the team to take-on the Enchantress separate from the team's formation (then again I'd have ALSO liked a villain not played by a model who can't act). Now I don't know the source material itself (I'm a Marvel boy); but I do love the Thunderbolts. I adore villains, I always have; my dream role in life is to play a Bond villain. And... I... did not care for almost the entire cast of characters. And when someone who has a perchance for villains isn't impressed: dayuuuuuum! That's a misfire. Which is the word to summarize this film: misfire. So for the sequel they need to literal fire David Ayer, explore the real moral quandary of what this team can do, and what that means for the world. And not hire models for acting roles.

OVERALL
    It's not wholly offensive as a film, but it's not good either. Any positivity in performance is ruined by generic story beats and an uninspiring showdown; it's so much less exciting than it should have been. Margot Robbie is an all star, and steals every scene; but even she can't rescue this "cliched list of bad ass stuff". The only thing worse than Zack Snyder film is a Zack Snyder imitation.
    ~ rating: 2 out of 5 [grade: C-]

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlad View Post
    Kubo and the Two Strings - beautifully designed
    Oh my the best animated films I've seen in a long, LONG time.
    http://community.comicbookresources....lms-quot/page7

KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS (2016)
    dir. Travis Knight
    writer. Marc Haimes & Chris Butler
    Voice Talent: Art Parkinson, Charlize Theron, Matthew McConaughey, Rooney Mara and Ralph Fiennes

THOUGHTS: a gorgeous stop-motion feature from Laika, the producers behind Coraline (2009), ParaNorman (2012) and the Boxtrolls (2014); and it's a crying shame their best film (and most critically acclaimed) is ALSO their poorest box-office return. It deserved so much more. It's inventive, it's witty and it doesn't compromise. Where as most animated films give you a simple ending, or at the very least a magic resolution that washes away the sins... no, here it's brutal and unfair and NOT. SIMPLE! The ending isn't simple, the reality of what must happen, and how people are punished (or not punished) isn't simple. And the plot is gorgeous: a little boy being hidden from his grandfather the Moon King who plucked out his left eye when he was a baby and now wants to rip out the right one. That's HORRIFIC! That's AWESOME! What a wonderfully macabre, Brothers Grimm-esq level of messed up, and kids love that. Children's literature is full of darkness. Roald Dahl trapped you in a world of horrors, Hans Christian Anderson was brutal in his endings. And like all the best kids stories, behind this terrifying world is a beating heart of real emotional clarity. This film has more profoundly honest comments on loss and the responsibility of a carer than... well than the entirety of Youth (2015). The film has a wonderful talent of shifting so effortlessly between whimsy and fear, not an easy balance to maintain through-out. And the comedy gold-star must go to Charlize Theron; the most amusing she's been since Young Adult (2011). Her dry, no-nonsense delivery, mixed with the stillness of the animation; it's a real treat. And she kicks ASS! A talking monkey with no sense of humour, a samurai sword and a heart of gold. It's magical. Praise must also be given to director Travis Knight in his directorial debut. Yes he is the son of Laika's owner Phil Knight BUT like Duncan Jones before him, his talent is clear and THAT makes him exciting. There's so much more I want to praise, the creepiness of the sisters, the excellent fight choreography; but as my final thought I'll heap praise instead on the perfectly subtle score by Daro Marianelli, the Oscar winning composer of Atonement (2008) (and most of Joe Wright's films). Like the film, the music so intrinsic to Kubo's power and history is deceptively clever, hitting the right tone each scene, yet doesn't intrude on the truly heartbreaking moments.

OVERALL
    Possibly one of the most exciting and rewarding animated films I've seen in a long, LONG time. It was brave and bold, which is something a great many animated films strive for, but fail to achieve. It didn't take the easy out, and I loved having a disabled lead character in a film about real issues (masquerading behind seemingly "frivolous" fantasy). Spot on voice performances, great comedy and beautiful visuals make this a real, REAL treat. An excellent film from start to finish.
    ~ rating: 5 out of 5 [grade: A]

FUN FACT: only two animated feature films have ever been nominated for Best Visual Effects, this and the Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 04-02-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

The Netflix Cloverfield tie-in. Good movie, recommend it. Star Wars episode 8 the last jedi. Love this film.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Jumanji Welcome to the Jungle - Super fun movie and hilarious. 8/10
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Blade Runner 2049. Excellent. Felt like an 80s movie. Not because of the Atari imagery haha It was nice and slow, took it's time. When the few action sequences took place they were actually amazing to look at because the whole thing wasn't a battle nightmare.

The Mirror(1975): By Andrei Tarkovsky. I haven't watched a film like this. If Mulholland Drive was weird, it at least had a semblance of a plot and story flow. This one doesn't even have that. I actually looked up online to at least get an idea what it was about.

I still liked it in parts. The slow moving sections at the hut in the forest is strangely beautiful. There are beautiful images. And there are poem readings? Its an intriguing film (about nothing? Or perhaps something). I don't think its for everybody. For instance a mother and her son visit a lady's home. I don't know why. And the mother and the lady go inside a room to talk something in private. Instead of seeing what they talk, (which could have been something interesting) we see the kid sitting in the corner. And that's how we spend at least a minute or two and we get no idea what they were talking about. I am going to watch it again to make some sense out of the film. I think i have got a clue to at least know who the characters were in the film.

Has anyone else watched this film?

Steve Jobs is very good but it depends on whether or not you like or hate Sorkin dialogue. Rogen is a better dramatic actor than you'd expect.

Took advantage of a sick day. Watched three films.

Apocalypse Now
    Citizen Kane
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-05-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Crash. Haven't seen this since I was a kid. Couldn't follow it then but I appreciate it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    The Mirror(1975): By Andrei Tarkovsky. I haven't watched a film like this. If Mulholland Drive was weird, it at least had a semblance of a plot and story flow. This one doesn't even have that. I actually looked up online to at least get an idea what it was about.

I still liked it in parts. The slow moving sections at the hut in the forest is strangely beautiful. There are beautiful images. And there are poem readings? Its an intriguing film (about nothing? Or perhaps something). I don't think its for everybody. For instance a mother and her son visit a lady's home. I don't know why. And the mother and the lady go inside a room to talk something in private. Instead of seeing what they talk, (which could have been something interesting) we see the kid sitting in the corner. And that's how we spend at least a minute or two and we get no idea what they were talking about. I am going to watch it again to make some sense out of the film. I think i have got a clue to at least know who the characters were in the film.

Has anyone else watched this film?
    I haven't seen it, I doubt I'd like it. I have seen Tarkovsky's Solaris (1972) and I didn't like it. In fact I specifically said "my word, this film is boring! Not in it's ideas; the storyline, visuals and performances are all solid. But the pacing... if it even deserves such a phrase; the "pacing" is horrendous. Every shot is too long. Every scene is too long, even moment is drawn out, every thought expanded on (yet delivered slowly), which is then followed by a slow pointless pan left, or a gentle focus on a stream, or... GOD!!! I got through 4 cups of coffee just trying to stay awake!"
    http://community.comicbookresources....l=1#post620622

So I can't imagine it would gel well with me from your description BUT Sight & Sound ranked the Mirror (1975) as the 9th Greatest Film of All Time; so shows what I know. HA!

P.S. hope you're feeling better x
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I haven't seen it, I doubt I'd like it. I have seen Tarkovsky's Solaris (1972) and I didn't like it. In fact I specifically said "my word, this film is boring! Not in it's ideas; the storyline, visuals and performances are all solid. But the pacing... if it even deserves such a phrase; the "pacing" is horrendous. Every shot is too long. Every scene is too long, even moment is drawn out, every thought expanded on (yet delivered slowly), which is then followed by a slow pointless pan left, or a gentle focus on a stream, or... GOD!!! I got through 4 cups of coffee just trying to stay awake!"
    http://community.comicbookresources....l=1#post620622

So I can't imagine it would gel well with me from your description BUT Sight & Sound ranked the Mirror (1975) as the 9th Greatest Film of All Time; so shows what I know. HA!

P.S. hope you're feeling better x
    Thank you for asking. I am much better.

Maybe i will watch 'The Mirror' again today. lol.

Its a bit surprising that 'Solaris' is also like this. It was on my list to watch soon. But then is it really surprising? What he was doing in 'The Mirror' was utterly inexplicable for me. I was trying to say something then i drew a blank. I am posting the following after reading a bit about it online. I had to do so as it made no sense. Some are my thoughts. But a significant portion is simply what i have read but not experienced.

The film is about memories. And memories from the point of view of the person who remembers aren't necessarily chronological. Its a collection of memories, feelings, half forgotten dreams, etc. Normally films speak in the language of prose. Even the likes of Memento, Pulp Fiction or Rashomon who break so many conventions of storytelling, are in a prose format. But 'The Mirror' is in the form of a poem. Poems aren't really concerned about narrative. They try to express feelings or thoughts.

For a number of people 'The Mirror' would be like watching the paint dry. I could say its a slow burn. But it would be wrong as there is no burn. It does not build toward something more. On top of that its almost deliberately confusing. I think we don't see the main character on screen. (I guess we catch a few glimpses of him at best). And the main character's mother and wife are played by the same actress. (And quite admirably so, as she gives a really good performance). The film moves through time for no rhyme or reason like Pulp Fiction. All of a sudden it changes to a sepia tone and then changes back. Random characters turn up and may even say something meaningful while making no sense. Then there are historical clippings in the film and stuff which looks like a scene from a horror film but vanishes automatically to never appear again. All this while there's no explanation of what is going on. Or who the people are. Their names if they crop up do so during a dialogue where 'they' are in conversation. The director does not try to explain anything to the audience. Rather he is interested in telling us poems during narration. Yes there's a narration. But the director would rather tell a poem then explain anything at all.

Yet i thought it was good in some parts. You said Solaris has all the things of a good film. Acting, visuals, storylines, ideas, etc. are solid. But pacing is horrendous. This is similar. Solid acting and visuals. And forget the rest. If there was some idea i couldn't catch what it was. This film definitely has no pacing. You need a story for pacing.

I was attracted to some of the visuals. It is strangely attractive at places. I can't explain why. For instance early in the film one of those pointless characters leaves the farm after making a small talk, which makes some sense. He spouts some wisdom about how people are simply running off in all directions and don't take a moment for themselves. He walks away slowly as the camera looks at him in the distance. When he is in the middle of the field he stops looking back while a breeze blows. Its a beautiful scene. Like i am in the field standing and looking at the guy and wind blows pushing down long grasses temporarily and then they get up. Its like a sea wave. Except the waves are the 'temporarily pushed down grasses and plants'. There's a scene where the actress is sad. Good acting here. But we don't know why she's sad. The film never bothers to explain why she was crying silently.

I watched that film in one sitting. That's much more then what i can say for 2001: A Space Odyssey. I completed that film in three efforts spread over months. It was so boring as nothing was happening. I was still impressed by stuff like the space waltz scene. And scenes like that along with its reputation kept bringing me back. Now its definitely in my top 3 favorite films of all time . So, i think perhaps i will like 'The Mirror' in time. Maybe not. Its not necessary to like every great film. I was stumped by Alien. I found that one boring.

But i don't know now. I watched Alien before 2001. And 2001 was something where i felt like a changed audience after completing it. As if a whole new world of cinema viewing experience has opened up. That's a visual film. There's hardly any dialogue. And something resembling a film's plot occurs towards the half of the film when Hal 2000 and the space journey to Jupiter comes up. But its far too exciting then the non-stop action in any entertaining action film, my usual diet.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-05-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Crash. Haven't seen this since I was a kid. Couldn't follow it then but I appreciate it now.
    LOL I take it this is not the David Cronenberg one. My sister saw that with my parents and was most embarrassed.

Retired

I think THE MIIRROR—or MIRRORS as I always call it—was the first Tarkovsky movie I saw. Back in the early 1980s, when the film society at the University of Alberta screened it.

Alberta has a large population of Eastern European immigrants, so I should not have been surprised that so many Russian speaking people were there.

Searching for a seat in the theatre, every time I spotted an empty one, I was informed, “It’s busy.”

My film prof was there, who I had a big crush on and I wanted to impress her. But I didn’t understand the movie at all and I struggled to stay awake while several bearded Russians around me were already in slumberland.

Subsequent to that I saw every Tarkovsky movie and I better understood his work. Although I was never his biggest fan.

My favourite is NOSTALGHIA, another very difficult movie, but he made that one in Italy—and I think that makes it more accessible than his Russian work.

Even after subsequent viewings, THE MIRROR is maybe the most challenging of his movies for me.

However, this was around the time when MTV videos were at the height of popularity and you could see that experimental directors like Tarkovsky influenced the visuals. Which then later became accepted in mainstream movies.

But I’ve heard that Tarkovsky was not trying so hard to break film conventions—it was just that he got so much interference from the Soviet system that he had to adapt in peculiar ways.

For example, his use of different film stocks (sometimes in the very same scene) with both colour and b&w was because that’s all he could get on that day of shooting.

The Mirror again. At this time i could tell which sequences were in which time and could differentiate and recognize the characters to an extent. It still has a number of confusing stuff. I like it a bit more. But what an odd film! Hard to explain. It has to be experienced. It makes you feel somewhat nostalgic for things you never actually experienced. (Provided you can stay awake).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think THE MIIRROR—or MIRRORS as I always call it—was the first Tarkovsky movie I saw. Back in the early 1980s, when the film society at the University of Alberta screened it.

Alberta has a large population of Eastern European immigrants, so I should not have been surprised that so many Russian speaking people were there.

Searching for a seat in the theatre, every time I spotted an empty one, I was informed, “It’s busy.”

My film prof was there, who I had a big crush on and I wanted to impress her. But I didn’t understand the movie at all and I struggled to stay awake while several bearded Russians around me were already in slumberland.

Subsequent to that I saw every Tarkovsky movie and I better understood his work. Although I was never his biggest fan.

My favourite is NOSTALGHIA, another very difficult movie, but he made that one in Italy—and I think that makes it more accessible than his Russian work.

Even after subsequent viewings, THE MIRROR is maybe the most challenging of his movies for me.

However, this was around the time when MTV videos were at the height of popularity and you could see that experimental directors like Tarkovsky influenced the visuals. Which then later became accepted in mainstream movies.

But I’ve heard that Tarkovsky was not trying so hard to break film conventions—it was just that he got so much interference from the Soviet system that he had to adapt in peculiar ways.

For example, his use of different film stocks (sometimes in the very same scene) with both colour and b&w was because that’s all he could get on that day of shooting.
    Somehow i expected you would have watched the film. I wasn't wrong. Interesting experience. Thanks for sharing it with us. And to tell me about his limitations in Soviet Union.

It was confusing. And even after he used the same actress to play two vital roles it did not feel like he deliberately wanted to confuse the viewer. Nonetheless its a very difficult film. I agree with you.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-06-2018 at 11:40 AM.

BANNED

Funeral Parade of Roses(1968)

This was super out there for the 60s. Gay drag queens, incest, suicide, interracial sex, fourth wall breaking. Pretty cool movie, and supposedly a direct influence on Kubrick’s A Clockwork Orange.