Page 184 of 211 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 3162

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I have to credit my film prof Noreen Golfman for drawing attention to the whole thing with the invading personal space. There's an entire thing with breaking glass in the movie, which is something that a lot of film makers use because it has a certain meaning in film (which is shot through a glass). So at the beginning of the movie you go past the No Trespassing sign, past the fence, through the window to Kane and the snow globe falls and breaks into fragments and in these fragments you see reflections. Glass keeps getting used through the whole movie and so when the camera breaks through the glass to get at Susan Alexander (who just wants to be left alone) it has a certain semiotic meaning. And of course our narrative device, Thompson, wears glasses.

They were killing it with the depth of field here!

I've only taken a film appreciation course in the past so I cannot speak to a lot of cinematography. The best way to learn it is to actually do it, so I normally focus on screenplay when I watch movies.
    Superhero shows are trash

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Before Sunrise: It was really good. But i wasn't really thrilled with it. There has to be a point to all of this. There's two more of these films. So, it looks like it would be more of the same. Next time it would simply be a picture of the next years. In a way its more depressing then tragic or doomed romances.

Now to the plus points. It feels too real. Love between two actual people stripped away from the myths. Stripping away the romance in a romance. Thus, making it more romantic then love stories which tend to romanticize the love story. Its a talky film. Kinda like Tarantino. But Tarantino's films have an ending. Buildup to something more. But here it is not so. Thus, i find it more impressive that the film is so immersive. Not necessarily better then Tarantino whose films i love a lot but in a sense more impressive.

A picture of their lives was built. Without really showing anything at all. I enjoyed the film. I liked both of the characters. My dissatisfaction arises not because of anything bad in the film. Its weird to say something like that for a film which i thought was really good.

I was interested in watching it as its considered among the best trilogies of all time. Definitely one which is the least seen of them all. Whether we speak of the Dollars trilogy or Toy Story or Godfather, it is one of the least seen of them. A definite recommend.

Has anyone else seen it? And what do they feel about it?
    I recommend seeing the second one, Before Sunset, which is arguably the best in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
    I recommend seeing the second one, Before Sunset, which is arguably the best in the series.
    Cool. There's someone here who has seen it and cared enough to answer me. Thanks for your reply. I am defintely going to see the second followed by the third.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I have to credit my film prof Noreen Golfman for drawing attention to the whole thing with the invading personal space. There's an entire thing with breaking glass in the movie, which is something that a lot of film makers use because it has a certain meaning in film (which is shot through a glass). So at the beginning of the movie you go past the No Trespassing sign, past the fence, through the window to Kane and the snow globe falls and breaks into fragments and in these fragments you see reflections. Glass keeps getting used through the whole movie and so when the camera breaks through the glass to get at Susan Alexander (who just wants to be left alone) it has a certain semiotic meaning. And of course our narrative device, Thompson, wears glasses.
    Nice insight. I did know that you have studied film too. Cool. There was one question in my mind while watching it. In that place where the news guys were talking after the 'news reel' scene they were covered in shadows. I thought that shall be intentional. But i could not make out what was the meaning behind it.

And there's one plot point. What did Charles mean by invading Spain? That was before the dance number. And if i seem to get it correctly it was the reason Charles fell out from his friend Mr. Leland. Or they had no tension till the election?

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post

I've only taken a film appreciation course in the past so I cannot speak to a lot of cinematography. The best way to learn it is to actually do it, so I normally focus on screenplay when I watch movies.

Okay a fundamental question. What is sreenplay? I thought it means script. And how can anyone see it? I remember you posting in Black Panther too about screenplay. I thought cinematography was more noticeable. I have absolutely no idea what cinematography is except that it is about framing pictures and movement of the camera. Its somewhat noticeable if one tries to. I may not get the intent or meaning or even what is really being done but it can be noticed imho.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Citiizen Kane is amazing and is not overrated IMHO. I love the set design, when I first saw it I struck by how visual the film is with such amazing set design pieces and using space.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Watched Black Panther last night. Absolutely loved it. Too bad about the really noticeable CGI in a lot of parts of this movie, but the actual execution of the movie? Amazing!
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Retired

There was one question in my mind while watching it. In that place where the news guys were talking after the 'news reel' scene they were covered in shadows. I thought that shall be intentional.
    The other guys in that scene, besides Thompson, are played by the other male actors in the movie--Welles, Cotton, et al. So the shadows were probably used to disguise them. But since Thompson appears in shadow throughout the movie, it could serve another function.

And there's one plot point. What did Charles mean by invading Spain? That was before the dance number. And if i seem to get it correctly it was the reason Charles fell out from his friend Mr. Leland. Or they had no tension till the election?
    William Randolph Hearst, the main basis for Charles Foster Kane, used his newspapers to push the Untied States into a war with Spain (the Spanish-American War, 1898). He was involved in a battle for circulation with Joseph Pulitzer and he used the campaign for war as a way to boost circulation.

Leland objects to the lack of journalistic integrity.

They specially designed that table so that it would split in half and come back together as tracks the mother's path.
    I was reading about this yesterday, when Agnes Moorhead hits her mark and the table has moved back in place, the hat on the table is still jiggling a little from the movement.

However, those deep lenses distort the size of a room. I could see that being a problem for some movies, but for CITIZEN KANE it works okay, as it's about a distorted personality, so the depth of field gives the space some grandeur.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 02-25-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Annihilation was decent. I actually had not heard about it until a week or so ago.

Visually stunning, it told an interesting story.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Mute......Paul Rudd was great and thats about all I can say atm. Still processing the rest. A lot of weird choices in this flick. It took me almost the whole movie to realize Luba was the hilarious guy from Misfits. Robert Sheehan or something iono. Oh and Justin Theroux looks old. Like his skin looked aged.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 02-25-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 as part of my MCU watch-though last night. I had seen IM3 before, but upon rewatching it, I realized that I like it a lot. I had not seen Thor 2 before last night and I'm not eager to rewatch that...ever.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Annihilation was decent. I actually had not heard about it until a week or so ago.

Visually stunning, it told an interesting story.
    I watched that on Friday. Interesting movie. I honestly don't know if the director will get the type of reaction he was hoping for, but it was a movie that sparked a conversation with my friend and I. I still don't know what to make of it and how I feel. I can't say for sure if that's a bad thing.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Addict View Post
    Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 as part of my MCU watch-though last night. I had seen IM3 before, but upon rewatching it, I realized that I like it a lot. I had not seen Thor 2 before last night and I'm not eager to rewatch that...ever.
    That's funny. I'm currently doing the exact same thing and am currently at the same stage in the series as you. I watched 'The Dark World' a few days ago.

I think I liked it a bit more than you though. I accept it's not the best MCU movie but it's perfectly watchable for me.

I watched the Denzel Washington - John Lithgow thriller Ricochet last night.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    That's funny. I'm currently doing the exact same thing and am currently at the same stage in the series as you. I watched 'The Dark World' a few days ago.

I think I liked it a bit more than you though. I accept it's not the best MCU movie but it's perfectly watchable for me.
    Oh, cool. That is funny. I'm not not big on the Thor solo movies as a whole, so it was pretty much inevitable that I wouldn't like Dark World.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.