Page 11 of 211 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Go Phillies

Ant-Man 3/5 stars. Jokes were hit or miss but the fight scenes were great. Stoll played a great bald villain

Southpaw. Meh

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Watched last night:

The Car (Blu-Ray)
    A delightfully schlocky 1977 horror film starring James Brolin as the sheriff of a small desert town menaced by a demonic, driverless car. A cult fave I loved since it first came out nearly forty years ago.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Go Phillies

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Southpaw. Meh
    Sooooooo cliched, but Gyllenhall, Whitaker, and a little bit of RM saved the day. 3.5/5 stars

"Gone Baby, Gone." Directed and co-written by Ben Affleck, starring Casey Affleck. Very good detective movie about a missing little girl. It was similar in tone to "True Detective" without being as dark, and was better than the second season, imo.

A Christmas Carol. George C Scott version.

I watch it every year along with the Patrick Stewart version and the Albert Finney, Scrooge musical and the Alistair Sim version as well.

BANNED

Just watched John Carter, or as the end of the movie calls it: John Carter of Mars. I liked it quite a bit, but it's also a movie that as I watched it I was like, "this scene could go" and "that scene could have been cut". The whole opening of the movie was pointless, a better version of this movie would be just starting on Earth, and then finding out where Carter is when he and Dejah actually start figuring it out. Could have also lost most any time the movie cuts away from Carter, there a whole scene of Dejeh around the beginning that working on some device that seems to only exist to show you this princess ain't just no girl...and it does nothing but slow the movie down; it's also weird because not that long after that you get a much better scene doing the same thing (where she sword fights after Carter tells her to get behind him) that doesn't stop the movie in any way. Another time, after the big gladiatorial fight, when the movie has all this momentum build up a people are rushing into battle, the movie cuts to a completely pointless scene that stops all that momentum in its tracks. The cut is almost comical, actually, it is comical, but the scene is so useless that I'm not really sure it's meant to be funny. Anyways, overall it was good, and it's a shame Disney is likely done with this series.

Oh, a lot was made of the marketing of this movie, and while watching it I couldnt help but think how cool it would have been if they showed none of the Mars stuff in the commercials. Like, how great would it have been if they just sold the western stuff, and then surprised people that didn't know jack about this series when he showed up on some weird different world, and then surprised them again when that world turned out to be Mars. Just calling the movie John Carter would even seem to play into that angle.

That movie also has one of the craziest, most over-the-top battles I've seen in modern PG-13 movie. Even with them being non-human looking aliens, and having blue blood, I'm almost surprised they got away with it. I'm thinking if it wasn't a Disney movie they probably would have, Im not sure even some other big studios would have gotten away with that in a PG-13.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post

I watch it every year along with the Patrick Stewart version and the Albert Finney, Scrooge musical and the Alistair Sim version as well.
    Great minds think alike. Every year, I watch the Alastair Sim version on the 22nd, the George C. Scott version (my favorite) on the 23rd and the Patrick Stewart version on Christmas Eve. All three never fail to entertain.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Gone Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post

You forgot one! My wife and I watch "The Muppet's Christmas Carol" every year with Michael Caine and it's *great!* Caine acts the hell out of it and it's surprising how emotional it can be even with Muppets! (The Tiny Tim scenes are heartbreaking) And the songs are catchy too

As of tonight, the answer is: Star War, the Force Awakens.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Great minds think alike. Every year, I watch the Alastair Sim version on the 22nd, the George C. Scott version (my favorite) on the 23rd and the Patrick Stewart version on Christmas Eve. All three never fail to entertain.
    Alistair Sim was the favorite in America when we all grew up.

George C Scott is my favorite, WestPhillyPunisher, nowadays. "Great minds" indeed.

In England, years ago, it was always the Reginald Owen version of 1938 that was the number one. In modern times, a lot of them go for The Albert Finney musical version. That took me time to get used to. I am not a musical fan but, with the encouragement of a few Brit fans I watched it again and have grown to love it too. Had to warm up to all the breaking into song first! :-) (Loved Albert Finney in Wolfen.)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    You forgot one! My wife and I watch "The Muppet's Christmas Carol" every year with Michael Caine and it's *great!* Caine acts the hell out of it and it's surprising how emotional it can be even with Muppets! (The Tiny Tim scenes are heartbreaking) And the songs are catchy too
    Oops. I forgot many, I think. Yes. Michael Caine is an amazing actor. So many versions of this story. All so interesting....

Reginald Owen
    Alistair Sim
    George C Scott
    Patrick Stewart
    Muppets
    Mr Magoo.....big with kids in the 1960s
    Scrooged with Bill Murray... huge nowadays
    Tori Spelling (as Scrooge) and Bill Shatner as a ghost.....hilarious!

So many....anyone know a few more?
    Last edited by Custodes; 12-21-2015 at 02:48 AM.

Oh, I just watched "Come To The Stable" with Celeste Holm as the tennis playing Nun. I plan to watch a lot of Christmas films on Turner Classic Movies(TCM) this week ( as well as MeTV Christmas specials.)

Go Phillies

Sling-Blade. 4/5 stars. Great BBT performance

Go Phillies

American Sniper 3.5/5 stars. I don't approve of the Iraq War but it did have some bad ass action scenes. The last 20 minutes were boring though. The PTSD **** gets old