Page 138 of 211 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 3162
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualcramp View Post
    Arlington Road
    I love Jeff Bridges! Yeah, I said it

BANNED

Dunkirk

The Hans Zimmer music got on my nerves after awhile. I didn't care for the sentimental 'Dunkirk Spirit' shite. Tom Hardy was basically an action hero -- I'm sorry, but no RAF pilot shot down 9 Luftwaffe aircraft in one go. And where were the French? The French held off the German army while the Brits evacuated. They deserved more than a brief scene at the beginning.

All that aside, it was enjoyable.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 07-21-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    The Planet of the Apes trilogy is hands down in my top 3 Trilogies of the last ten years. There's so much character detail, story progression, love and loss, tragedy and hope, revenge and forgiveness, death and life. It's crazy.
    War for the Planet of the Apes gets a 5 out of 5 from me.
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes gets a 5 out of 5 from me.
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes gets a 4.5 out of 5 from me.
    Great great series.
    Michael Bay take notes, THIS is how you do CGI characters of their own franchise, make THEM the focus, not the humans.
    i don't agree on Rise of the Planet of the Apes it was misfire for me id give it 4 out of 10 stars (Planet of the Apes 2001 is way better to me) but i love Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and have yet to see War for the Planet of the Apes.

Fantastic Member Spiritualcramp's Avatar

Saw the first 20 minutes of the Good, the bad, the Ugly

but my fckin Firestick kept cutting out. Looked like a great Western

Try to see it, it is epic!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Your Name.

A sweet, haunting anime movie about a teen boy and girl who swap bodies while they dream.

Apparently a big hit in Japan.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

That movie is FANTASTIC! If you like it, you have to watch 'A Fistful of Dollars', 'For A Few Dollars More' and 'The Outlaw, Josey Wells'.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    That movie is FANTASTIC! If you like it, you have to watch 'A Fistful of Dollars', 'For A Few Dollars More' and 'The Outlaw, Josey Wells'.
    Not to mention "Once Upon A Time in the West"

Leone is the Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Not to mention "Once Upon A Time in the West"

Leone is the Man.
    I watched it for the first time when I was 11 and it blew my mind. I also fell in love with Claudia Cardinale.

Dragonheart and Dragon - The Bruce Lee Story. Two really awesome Rob Cohen movies.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Dunkirk

The Hans Zimmer music got on my nerves after awhile. I didn't care for the sentimental 'Dunkirk Spirit' shite. Tom Hardy was basically an action hero -- I'm sorry, but no RAF pilot shot down 9 Luftwaffe aircraft in one go. And where were the French? The French held off the German army while the Brits evacuated. They deserved more than a brief scene at the beginning.

All that aside, it was enjoyable.
    eh, did we watch the same movie? once you consider that some pivotal scenes were shown again later in the film at different angles Hardy's character only shot down four aircraft at the most. (one/two Messerschmidt Bf109s, a Heinkel He-111 and one Junkers Ju-87 'Stuka').

what's impressive for me is that he got in very close and still missed as often as he did. he also didn't shoot them until they exploded in a ball of fire or anything outrageous like that. if he'd been sending them down in flames he should have only been able to shoot down a single aircraft at the most.

it's an early mark of the Spitfire with eight rifle caliber guns which would help explain why he had so much ammo. the later versions armed with the Hispano Suiza cannons were dubbed "the One Kill Wonder" because they carried so little ammunition and used it up so quickly. I think they overdid it on the ammo a little bit since those early spitfires would have only had maybe 15-20 seconds worth of ammo.

I liked how with the shooting down of the Heinkel that he got so close that he was taking hits. 303 bullets were known to be very ineffective at taking out bombers... so that was a nice detail. my biggest complaint was that when they were making a head-on pass at each other that he didn't aim for the cockpit or one of the engines. zero deflection, the cockpit of the He-111 was mostly unarmored and extremely vulnerable. it would have been less dramatic and suspenseful, I suppose, but it would have made a lot more sense. Hardy's character couldn't have been THAT great of a fighter pilot if he didn't make a head-on pass like that when it was easy enough to do so.

the only shoot down of the film that had me scratching my head is when he got the Stuka. it was already established that he'd just run out of fuel. that part I didn't buy.

if I'd been given the task of blocking out those aerial combat scenes I would have revealed both German fighters from the very beginning. I already knew that a second German aircraft was there... so I think it would have been better to show what all three German aircraft were doing when they first engage in combat. I would have had the guy who was shot down (Collins) take out an airplane or two to keep things with realistic proportions. a very good Spitfire pilot might get lucky and be able to shoot down two in a single sortie... but three would be miraculous. four is just a bit too far out there for me.

the splashdown landing with Collins and aftermath was generally very good.

well, that and the Vic formation they used for the Spitfires was too tight. there should have been a little bit more space between them.... but it's a movie after all.

compared to Michael Bay or Mel Gibson movies about war the film was downright stoic. (I went into this movie expecting to be appalled by the rampant historical inaccuracies but was very pleasantly surprised)

as an aside: there was a Frenchman who got on the boat. the British soldiers made a big deal about how he had to get off the boat to help prevent it from sinking. the French were certainly not the main focus-- but they were by no means ignored.

I also appreciated the fact that there were casualties caused by 'friendly action'.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    eh, did we watch the same movie? once you consider that some pivotal scenes were shown again later in the film at different angles Hardy's character only shot down four aircraft at the most. (one/two Messerschmidt Bf109s, a Heinkel He-111 and one Junkers Ju-87 'Stuka').

what's impressive for me is that he got in very close and still missed as often as he did. he also didn't shoot them until they exploded in a ball of fire or anything outrageous like that. if he'd been sending them down in flames he should have only been able to shoot down a single aircraft at the most.

it's an early mark of the Spitfire with eight rifle caliber guns which would help explain why he had so much ammo. the later versions armed with the Hispano Suiza cannons were dubbed "the One Kill Wonder" because they carried so little ammunition and used it up so quickly. I think they overdid it on the ammo a little bit since those early spitfires would have only had maybe 15-20 seconds worth of ammo.

I liked how with the shooting down of the Heinkel that he got so close that he was taking hits. 303 bullets were known to be very ineffective at taking out bombers... so that was a nice detail. my biggest complaint was that when they were making a head-on pass at each other that he didn't aim for the cockpit or one of the engines. zero deflection, the cockpit of the He-111 was mostly unarmored and extremely vulnerable. it would have been less dramatic and suspenseful, I suppose, but it would have made a lot more sense. Hardy's character couldn't have been THAT great of a fighter pilot if he didn't make a head-on pass like that when it was easy enough to do so.

the only shoot down of the film that had me scratching my head is when he got the Stuka. it was already established that he'd just run out of fuel. that part I didn't buy.

if I'd been given the task of blocking out those aerial combat scenes I would have revealed both German fighters from the very beginning. I already knew that a second German aircraft was there... so I think it would have been better to show what all three German aircraft were doing when they first engage in combat. I would have had the guy who was shot down (Collins) take out an airplane or two to keep things with realistic proportions. a very good Spitfire pilot might get lucky and be able to shoot down two in a single sortie... but three would be miraculous. four is just a bit too far out there for me.

the splashdown landing with Collins and aftermath was generally very good.

well, that and the Vic formation they used for the Spitfires was too tight. there should have been a little bit more space between them.... but it's a movie after all.

compared to Michael Bay or Mel Gibson movies about war the film was downright stoic. (I went into this movie expecting to be appalled by the rampant historical inaccuracies but was very pleasantly surprised)

as an aside: there was a Frenchman who got on the boat. the British soldiers made a big deal about how he had to get off the boat to help prevent it from sinking. the French were certainly not the main focus-- but they were by no means ignored.

I also appreciated the fact that there were casualties caused by 'friendly action'.
    Admittedly, I was confused by the fractured narrative. If he only shot down four aircraft then that's much more acceptable.

I would have liked some scenes showing the perimeter defense. The French(isolated and outnumbered) held off seven German divisions, yet all we see from them is a blockade, a small group of soldiers trying to board a ship, and a frightened boy disguised as a Brit.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess it's understandable considering it's a British film and showing the battles at Lille and Nieuport would have ramped up the budget/runtime.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Kong: Skull Island. It was just "meh" for me. I was hoping it would be better, but it was kind of disappointing. 5/10
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member

I forget if I said this before: Kong was terrible. The old movie was 1000 times better in plot, acting and even special effects (they tried as compared to ordinary graphics by today's standards).

The helicopter pilots were idiots (an insult to our service folk). Samuel was a raging nut. Roseanne's hubby was as convincing as a used car salesperson. As a lead in to the Godzilla world - forget it. Oh, dear - Alley Oop drew a picture of Mothra and Ghidorah - yawn. Kong was crap as compared to the 30's gorilla or the new Planet of the Apes primates.

That Kong would last 5 minutes if a VietNam era carrier was nearby.

Astonishing Member

Once upon a Texas Train- Willie Nelson, Dub Taylor, Angie Dickinson, Kirk Douglas(?), James Whitmore, Jack Elam and several other familiar charactery times from various westerns and assorted non credited cows and horses. Fun Movie