Page 195 of 211 FirstFirst ... 95145185191192193194195196197198199205 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,925 of 3162
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Last Jedi 8.5/10

It's the third time I've seen it. Saw it twice in the theaters but my wife hadn't seen it yet, so I watched it with her. She liked it.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Last Jedi 8.5/10

It's the third time I've seen it. Saw it twice in the theaters but my wife hadn't seen it yet, so I watched it with her. She liked it.
    Not being sarcastic or anything, but who was the first Jedi? Has that ever been dealt with in a movie? If not maybe they should consider doing a movie exploring the origins of the Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I love all Kurosawa films, this one is very good, but oddly not one of my favourites (because it's formulaic). But it's iconic, how many shows have basically done "the Rashomon episode" where the same story is told from 4 different points of view? I'm a cliche, but my favourite is Seven Samurai (1954), followed closely by Stray Dog (1949).
    Seven Samurai is my favorite Kurosawa film too...out of the two films i have watched so far. I love Rashomon. But its storytelling has been done in lots of places that its no more unique. There's this film Hero(2002). I like that film a lot. Recently, The Last Jedi had a short scene told in three different ways. It has been repeated a lot. I still find it very effective. Great movie in my opinion.

But i absolutely love Seven Samurai. Its like the Avengers. Only in Japanese, black and white, three hours long and far far far better. (And i adore the Avengers). I have watched it only once before. And it was mesmerizing. Its my go to example along with The Godfather regarding run times. A truly great film is not affected by long run times. You can't take your eyes off them. For Seven Samurai even language was no barrier. (Of course subtitles are necessary).

Someday i would have watched all of Kurosawa's films. He was a true master. Thanks for mentioning Stray Dog. I have heard of two more of his films. Ikiru and Ran. And i know Hidden Fortress had an influence on Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Not being sarcastic or anything, but who was the first Jedi? Has that ever been dealt with in a movie? If not maybe they should consider doing a movie exploring the origins of the Jedi.
    The first Jedi are mentioned in other places. Star Wars have novels, games, comics, etc. But no not in films. Star Wars has so much potential. There are thousands of worlds with a time span expanding thousands of years. Its scope is really huge.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-30-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Seven Samurai is my favorite Kurosawa film too...out of the two films i have watched so far.
    It's my favourite, a masterpiece. Flawless; visually stunning. GOD it's a work of art.

I love Rashomon. But its storytelling has been done in lots of places that its no more unique. There's this film Hero(2002). I like that film a lot. Recently, The Last Jedi had a short scene told in three different ways. It has been repeated a lot. I still find it very effective. Great movie in my opinion.
    As I said, while other films have done the idea, it's all from this iconic film. It's even been adapted into a play.

Someday i would have watched all of Kurosawa's films. He was a true master. Thanks for mentioning Stray Dog. I have heard of two more of his films. Ikiru and Ran. And i know Hidden Fortress had an influence on Star Wars.
    Me too, I've not even seen half of his work, but I've see a lot of his "iconic" ones.
    Stray Dog (1949) - AMAZING. Basically Se7en, but with oppressive heat over oppressive rain. Second favourite.
    Rashomon (1950)
    Seven Samurai (1954) - my favourite
    Throne of Blood (1957) - his Macbeth. Lady Macbeth is BRILLIANT
    The Hidden Fortress (1958) - it's Star Wars. Literally, Lucas copied it all from here.
    Yojimbo (1961) - remade in the West as A Fistful of Dollars; the plot is identical. Third favourite.
    Ran (1985) - one of his only colour films; and earned him a very belated Oscar nom. His version of King Lear. For my money, I've never seen a better Lear performance. The Fool really lets it down.

I eagerly wants to see (because I've heard great things) Ikiru (1952) and High and Low (1963). I've also heard good things about Drunken Angel (1948), Scandal (1950), The Idiot (1951) and I Live in Fear (1955). Does anyone else recommend any others?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Ah, finally watched Justice League (was recovering from partial knee replacement when it was in theaters), and I liked it. It was fun, the character introductions were interesting, and for the first time in the DCEU, I liked Superman.

Though, I feel the other characters, even Batman, could have used a solo/introductory film before Justice League came out. But otherwise, I liked it. But Superman so easily dominating the other Leaguers when he first revived, especially Diana, well, could have toned that back a bit, I think.

It course corrected a number of things; Superman is actually a person that represents Hope, he and Bruce look to be coming close as friends (buying the farm back for Clark and his mother certainly helps), Superman joked, etc.

And, I'm not positive, but it certainly seems like they are setting up the WonderBat thing for the films. It is vague enough, that it could simply be the two are close friends, but things do look to be leaning that way.

Suicide Squad. I had heard it was terrible so I had been avoiding it for a while, but a friend bought it and brought it over so we all watched it. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. I kind of had a "meh" feeling the whole way through. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but I don't know, it didn't really grab me either. I've really enjoyed all the other movies from the DCEU especially Justice League. I really liked that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by gooch4011 View Post
    Suicide Squad. I had heard it was terrible so I had been avoiding it for a while, but a friend bought it and brought it over so we all watched it. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. I kind of had a "meh" feeling the whole way through. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but I don't know, it didn't really grab me either. I've really enjoyed all the other movies from the DCEU especially Justice League. I really liked that movie.
    Imo the writing and a lot of technical aspects are awful. But the actors earn they're pay checks and then some. Will Smith,Margot,Viola Davis,Jai courtney and AAA were all great with what they're were given. Will Smith was just kinda will Smith in a Deadshot outfit but that's about 2 notches more then what the movie deserved cause he kept me entertained and engaged the whole movie. Once you factor in everything I felt Meh about the movie too. Cast was solid but damn if that script wasn't awfull. They form a team to fight a member of they're team and save the VIP who happens to be they're boss and the one who put the team together. And this Joker was bad but luckily we only got a little so his characterisation isn't set in stone. Jared Leto can tweak it and impriove unlike Luthor who we are stuck with......maybe I don't think MOS 2 or Justice League 2 are being fast tracked.

Children of Dune, the 3 parts mini-series from 2003.

Pretty decent. I enjoyed it far more than the first mini-series about Dune. (who was already good enough)

And James McAvoy of course, very good in the role of Leto 2.

Invincible Member

Justice League. Better than Age of Ultron, not quite as good as first Avengers movie. You tell the scenes where Joss Whedon was brought in to punch up the dialogue.

Retired

Someday i would have watched all of Kurosawa's films
    If you haven’t yet, you owe it to youself to see DERSU UZALA (1975). It’s very different from his major work, but once you’ve seen it, you belong to a special club. And we will all welcome you, with the greeting: Dersu!

Ready Player One in the theatres.

Arrival on Netflix.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If you haven’t yet, you owe it to youself to see DERSU UZALA (1975). It’s very different from his major work, but once you’ve seen it, you belong to a special club. And we will all welcome you, with the greeting: Dersu!
    Thanks for recommending that. I have heard of this for the first time. Its good that i don't need special powers to be in the special club. Ordinary powers would do.

I always like hearing of films i 'ought' to see. Someone told me this. 'On a weekend or a holiday sit down and watch 'Lawrence of Arabia'. Treat yourself' And i did. It was one of those times when i felt i was fortunate. Lucky, that i watched a 'mere' film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Yes, wonderful film. Saw it in the theaters.

I think all his late films are great, this, Kagemusha, Ran.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Queen of Katwe - enjoyed it quite a bit. Lupita Nyongo plays a mum here and will again in Trevor Noah's movie

Boss Baby - was good fun

Kubo and the Two Strings - beautifully designed

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Watched last night:

The Ten Commandments (Blu-Ray)
    It's an Easter Sunday tradition for me to watch the 1956 classic (the ONLY version that matters) starring Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner. Sure, it's hammy and cheesy to the nines, but it's great fun, and a movie I never tire of watching every year.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-02-2018 at 06:59 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!