Page 20 of 211 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

Just watched Johnny Guitar on broadcast TV. What an odd film, I'm still trying to sort my thoughts...

Watched Superman/Batman: Apocalypse last night. Sort of catching up on other version of Supergirl. Interesting take on the character and her origins. But I can see where it wouldn't work for a TV series and why the Supergirl TV series went another direction.

Go Phillies

Holy fucking shit. The Revenant- 4.5/5 stars. Alejandro G. Inarritu. The cinematography was probably the best of any movie I've ever seen. The shots of the rivers and the snow were unbelievably engrossing. It pulled you into the world they were in. Let's talk about the film's opening tracking shot. For THREE fucking years now I thought nothing could top MM's drug raid six minute tracking shot in True Detective. I will stand by that pick, but The Revenant's is second best and a third place isn't even in the same fucking tax bracket. If DiCaprio doesn't win an Oscar for this role, I will stop giving any weight to that award. I mean shit, he hasn't been this fucking good since Blood Diamond. Hardy was fucking spectacular as the villain. I only wished they delved into his motivations a little more. That, and the just decent dialogue were the only things holding it back from 5 stars.

This movie was fucking amazing. Hell, if one of you wanted to drive down to Wilmington, I'd watch it again. (Plus my movie theater offers beer and spirits at the concession stand. I bet you've never heard of that.)

BANNED

You give weight to the Oscars now? Why? Almost every year is horrible. This year is probably one of the worst lineups across the board. Fury Road is there, so that's not, but man, the picks all seem so boring and safe...again.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Saw The Revenant last week: Back in 1995 I'd have given my left arm for seeing DiCaprio getting raped by Winnie Pooh for 5 terrifying minutes... but actingwise he grew on me. Hardy was great (almost forgive him Bane now).

today: Sen to Chihiro
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 01-17-2016 at 11:37 AM.

BANNED

Tried watching The Man From U.N.C.L.E. I just found it boring and silly and turned it off half way through. Clothes are nice setting is nice but I just found it over the top. Henry Cavill seemed to be doing more of a send up of Cary Grant via Pierce Brosnan than actually playing a character. Before that I tried watching the reboot of the new Hitman film, couldn't get through that either.

Finally saw The Martian, what a great film!
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Agree with Omar on The Revenant.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar 382 View Post
    Plus my movie theater offers beer and spirits at the concession stand. I bet you've never heard of that.
    Mine does too, plus recliners in the theaters.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Mighty Member

Theaters: 'Young' starring Michael Caine and Harvey Keitel. Brilliant movie about a lot of things, interwoven together nicely.

On TV: 'Stagecoach' with John Wayne and Claire Trevor. Wayne's first starring role. Another brilliant movie. The stunt work is amazing.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    A whole movie that's just the origin could be a great movie. I'm not saying Dracula Untold is good, I'm saying that doesn't mean a origin movie would be bad.
    Agreed. there are some great ideas in the books but here they were trying turn Dracula into a matinee idol and generic husband-dad and it just comes across as unimaginative. And the wife's character was underdeveloped.

OK so this weekend I saw the following:
    1. Paddington - very charming indeed with a great cast (Sally Hawkins, Hugh Bonneville, Nicole Kidman). My first book prize in Class 1 (1st Grade) was a Paddington bear story so I have strong affection for the character - and they turned it into a really fun movie
    2. Spongebob the Movie: Sponge out of Water - never really watched the series but enjoyed the bits I have seen online - this was the madcap ride I expected it to be and great fun indeed
    3. Her - I kept putting off watching Spike Jonze Oscar winner for some reason and finally watched it last night - Great idea very well executed and amazing performance by Joaquin Phoenix!

Incredible Member

Just caught "Olympus Has Fallen" for the first time on tv tonight and it was on my list of films I wanted to see. Curious if anyone else shares my views on it. I think the entire premise relies on a belief that if important government officials including the president were taken hostage inside the White House with world-changing demands being made, those hostages would not be considered expendable. I believe they would be, because the rule about how the U.S. does not negotiate with terrorists is absolute. In real life there would be no stand-downs, and those Korean terrorists would have been surrounded by the full forces of the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines, even if it meant the assassination of the president. The Navy Seals attempted a raid from the roof of the White House with 6 helicopters and were thwarted because the terrorists had control of the rail guns up there. How about if they'd sent a hundred helicopters as they probably would? And the fictional "Cerberus" that the terrorists got control of, giving them the ability to detonate every nuke in America inside their silos and turning the country into a wasteland? In real life nuclear warheads are not armed until well into their flights. Even if the Cerberus thing had succeeded those detonations would not have been nuclear.

BANNED

Watched Chappie. It wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be after hearing about it, but it's a very bizarre movie that's all over the place. I'm not even really sure what it's trying to do much of the time, it's like Short Circuit 2 if Michael McKean's character was replaced with Los Locos, and if Los Locos were presented as horrible violent criminals that you wish Johnny 5 wasn't around at all.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I have no love for Robots aside from Robocop (1987)

Last movie: Blood into Wine
    For people who like wine and wonder what Maynard Keenan is up to theese days

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Watched Chappie. It wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be after hearing about it, but it's a very bizarre movie that's all over the place. I'm not even really sure what it's trying to do much of the time, it's like Short Circuit 2 if Michael McKean's character was replaced with Los Locos, and if Los Locos were presented as horrible violent criminals that you wish Johnny 5 wasn't around at all.
    LOL I watched Chappie last night - no it's not that bad, but not as great as Blomkamp's District 9. As I live in Johannesburg it's always cool to see how we have been represented on the big screen especially with major stars in tow. Dev Patel is a cool lead, Hugh Jackman was good as the Aussie baddie though I feel a bit divided on Die Antwoord who were showcased quite prominently here. I'd give it a 6 out of 10.