Page 41 of 211 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Don't say a word (or as I call it: Hank Pym vs Eddard Stark) by Gary Fleder, a solid by the numbers watch but I enjoyed seeing Douglas/Bean/Janssen together. Truly recommended is Fleder's Kiss the girls (Morgan Freeman) imo.

The Incredible Hulk
    10/10

Hulk smashed his chance at another solo movie with this one, I don't understand why.
    If you go back to the 70s and tell people that one day Captain America would be a much bigger hit than Hulk on screen, they'd have a hard time believing you.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlad View Post
    LOL I saw it in 2000 so can't for the life of me remember. She acts amazingly well, though will unfortunately be best remembered for the swan dress she wore to the Oscars the nest year. Yes I also have yet to watch Melancholia - heard it's excellent.
    Watched Melancholia last night. It's....interesting. Even though I liked it, I'm not sure who I'd recommend it to. It had excellent acting and the opening sequences (while long) were visually fantastic. It's basically 2 movies under one roof. One stars Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg costars. The other one stars Gainsbourg and Dunst costars. It's an art film, no doubt about it. Two and a half hours long, but to be honest, it kept me paying attention the whole time. There's a bit of a disconnect between the Dunst and Gainsbourg chapters, but it still boiled down to "If an alien planet is going to crash into an Earth that has no superheroes and no Will Smith to defend it, how would you deal with the inevitable and unescapable death of not just you but the entire damn planet?"
    It was worth watching. Plus, it had Kirsten Dunst's boobies.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Bazinga's C-Men View Post
    Watched Melancholia last night. It's.... but it still boiled down to "If an alien planet is going to crash into an Earth that has no superheroes and no Will Smith to defend it, how would you deal with the inevitable and unescapable death of not just you but the entire damn planet?"
    Haha you mean it's an existentialist drama! ok I hope to watch it soon

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Sicario (Emily Blunt, Josh Brolin, Benicio del Torro) best crime/actionthriller in years, maybe since No country for men. Have been looking forward to it for months and give it a 10/10.

LOL I saw it in 2000 so can't for the life of me remember. She acts amazingly well, though will unfortunately be best remembered for the swan dress she wore to the Oscars the nest year. Yes I also have yet to watch Melancholia - heard it's excellent.
    [from Kieran Frost's "TOP 100 GREATEST FILMS" thread]
    http://community.comicbookresources....lms-quot/page7

MELANCHOLIA (2011)
    written and directed by. Lars von Trier
    Starring: Kirsten Dunst, Alexander Skarsgård, Stellan Skarsgård, Kiefer Sutherland and John Hurt

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: On the day of her wedding, Justine (Dunst) is struggling against her family's desire to see her happy, and her own inevitable sorrow that lies deep within her mind...
    spoilers:
    THOUGHTS: as a concept this film is a dream; it’s a clever, poignant and simplistic (in the best possible way). The idea of framing the exploration of major depression disorder (MDD) on a wedding day is GORGEOUS! Add to that the clever sci-fi idea of the moon crashing into the Earth (as a metaphor for how someone suffering from MDD feels the world is ending, even on “good days”) is sublime. Sadly the execution… leaves a lot to be desired. Unlike vonTrier’s other work where he had, at the heart, a tour-de-force performance from Nicole Kidman or Emily Watson… here we have Kirsten Dunst. And while it maybe her best work since Interview with the Vampire (1994); it’s still just subpar. Her depth of performance for someone with MDD is looking very tired, and plastering an incredibly lazy “fake smile” on. I needed more, especially in a film that intentionally isn’t giving you the whole picture. And it’s a shame, so many things were wonderful. The limo stuck on a country road turning was hilarious and original. I liked the touches of actors looking into the camera lens, like it’s a home movie at a wedding. Or how you heard so little background noise at the reception, as someone with MDD would, blocking out all the “whitenoise”. Even the contrast of the two moons, depicting the two extremes of Justine’s mood was very clever. I just wish the “two parts” had been combined into the wedding, maybe through a non-linear plot? The wedding reception was such a powerful setting for MDD; once we left that it all became vastly less interesting. And can we talk about the “naked Herbal Essences advert”. That was comically bad; it was too posed, too ‘model shot’. Though the most offensive part was the UBER w*nky intro, slow-motion of "powerful" imagery to Wagner's Tristan und Isolde (why, I have no idea, this film doesn't mirror that story in the slightest). And I wasn’t sure how I felt about the Layla Miller “I just know stuff” rip off. Then again maybe Hickman stole his Incursion idea from this, so what goes around comes around.
    end of spoilers
    OVERALL
    A noble topic to explore, and one that lends itself pleasingly to evocative visuals; but one that never quite comes together to make the film vonTrier wanted to tell. A disappointing lead performance, and some jarring pacing let down an otherwise beautiful concept. We often talk about remakes, but rather than rehashing good films, let’s remake worthy ones that fall short.
    ~ rating: 3 out of 5 [grade: B+]

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

CREED
    10/10

And

MORTAL KOMBAT

10/10

This score is based purely on joy level.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

What We Do In The Shadows.

Took me a little to get into it, the blood and death disturbing, but once I allowed it to play out, thought it was really funny.

Haha you mean it's an existentialist drama! ok I hope to watch it soon
    Exactly. I guess I found someone I can recommend it to. If the Blu-Ray had come with a digital code, I'd give it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    [from Kieran Frost's "TOP 100 GREATEST FILMS" thread]
    http://community.comicbookresources....lms-quot/page7

MELANCHOLIA (2011)
    written and directed by. Lars von Trier
    Starring: Kirsten Dunst, Alexander Skarsgård, Stellan Skarsgård, Kiefer Sutherland and John Hurt

ONE SENTENCE SYNOPSIS: On the day of her wedding, Justine (Dunst) is struggling against her family's desire to see her happy, and her own inevitable sorrow that lies deep within her mind...
    spoilers:
    THOUGHTS: as a concept this film is a dream; it’s a clever, poignant and simplistic (in the best possible way). The idea of framing the exploration of major depression disorder (MDD) on a wedding day is GORGEOUS! Add to that the clever sci-fi idea of the moon crashing into the Earth (as a metaphor for how someone suffering from MDD feels the world is ending, even on “good days”) is sublime. Sadly the execution… leaves a lot to be desired. Unlike vonTrier’s other work where he had, at the heart, a tour-de-force performance from Nicole Kidman or Emily Watson… here we have Kirsten Dunst. And while it maybe her best work since Interview with the Vampire (1994); it’s still just subpar. Her depth of performance for someone with MDD is looking very tired, and plastering an incredibly lazy “fake smile” on. I needed more, especially in a film that intentionally isn’t giving you the whole picture. And it’s a shame, so many things were wonderful. The limo stuck on a country road turning was hilarious and original. I liked the touches of actors looking into the camera lens, like it’s a home movie at a wedding. Or how you heard so little background noise at the reception, as someone with MDD would, blocking out all the “whitenoise”. Even the contrast of the two moons, depicting the two extremes of Justine’s mood was very clever. I just wish the “two parts” had been combined into the wedding, maybe through a non-linear plot? The wedding reception was such a powerful setting for MDD; once we left that it all became vastly less interesting. And can we talk about the “naked Herbal Essences advert”. That was comically bad; it was too posed, too ‘model shot’. Though the most offensive part was the UBER w*nky intro, slow-motion of "powerful" imagery to Wagner's Tristan und Isolde (why, I have no idea, this film doesn't mirror that story in the slightest). And I wasn’t sure how I felt about the Layla Miller “I just know stuff” rip off. Then again maybe Hickman stole his Incursion idea from this, so what goes around comes around.
    end of spoilers
    OVERALL
    A noble topic to explore, and one that lends itself pleasingly to evocative visuals; but one that never quite comes together to make the film vonTrier wanted to tell. A disappointing lead performance, and some jarring pacing let down an otherwise beautiful concept. We often talk about remakes, but rather than rehashing good films, let’s remake worthy ones that fall short.
    ~ rating: 3 out of 5 [grade: B+]

Huh.
    I get the jarring pacing, but why didn't you like the acting? I thought the acting was pretty good, top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    CREED
    10/10

And

MORTAL KOMBAT

10/10

This score is based purely on joy level.
    Yeah, I'll be watching this soon. Big Rocky and Apollo Creed fan.

Spanish Prisoner, an impressive neonoir with Steve Martin but also very affected. David Mamet's characters never feel like they belong in a real world, similar to David Lynch. But if you can embrace the mystery and enjoy the dialogue then you will fall in love with this movie. A

Purple Rain, provocative and a musical for adults, time flew by when watching this one. B

The Good Dinosaur, a good idea that fails to properly frame it's story or embrace it's characters. C-

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    Spanish Prisoner, an impressive neonoir with Steve Martin but also very affected. David Mamet's characters never feel like they belong in a real world, similar to David Lynch. But if you can embrace the mystery and enjoy the dialogue then you will fall in love with this movie. A

Purple Rain, provocative and a musical for adults, time flew by when watching this one. B

The Good Dinosaur, a good idea that fails to properly frame it's story or embrace it's characters. C-
    I have yet to see Purple Rain.
    So it's definitely worth watching? Keep in mind I've only seen one or two musicals ever that I liked, but I'm a Prince fan, so maybe that would cancel it out...

Kiss of the Dragon. Made me realize how much I miss Bridget Fonda.

Finally watched Deadpool. I'm so happy it lived up to the hype.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Bazinga's C-Men View Post
    I have yet to see Purple Rain.
    So it's definitely worth watching? Keep in mind I've only seen one or two musicals ever that I liked, but I'm a Prince fan, so maybe that would cancel it out...
    Definitely, it was closer to a concert film than a musical reminded me a bit of Heavy Metal.