Page 59 of 211 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

"Damsels in Distress".

it was a mess, really. but I enjoyed it all the same. the dialogue was funny, the characters were memorable and goofy. as always it feels a bit over-written, but still watchable.

for some reason it made me think of Joss Whedon (and all the praise he gets for his female characters). honestly, I prefer Whit Stillman. his movies, flawed though they usually are, feel more like actual movies. (hey, at least compared to Serenity-- which I disliked) I think Whedon is great on TV but his movies always leave me disappointed.

I also found myself thinking that Carrie MacLemore could make a pretty good Cheryl Tunt and that Megalyn Echikunwoke could be fun as Lana Kane in a possible live-action Archer movie. that being said, I would still prefer Aisha Tyler and Judy Greer!

(actually, I think you could argue that Joss Whedon and Whit Stilman both struggle with being one-trick ponies. but, the thing is, that trick is pretty good and can be revamped for a lot of different scenarios)
    Last edited by Totoro Man; 07-11-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Justified Ancient of MuMu wonderlad's Avatar

Independence Day: Resurgence - Hemsworth and Goldblum are good but overall MEH!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I liked JW well enough. Did not think it was great.
    It's funny, but I can usually watch these types of movies, or parts of them several times when they come to cable. But JW doesn't seem to interest me in rewatching. Not sure why.
    I'm the opposite. I actually sat and watched the whole just a few days ago.

BANNED

Watched that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies movie over the weekend. It's good, not great, but it was still pretty fun. Enjoyed it more than the two superhero movies I saw this year, it turned out a lot better than I thought it would be given the reviews I saw.

BANNED

The Shallows- 4/5

Really good, enjoyable thriller with Blake Lively putting in a solid, engaging performance.

Amazing Member

If it movies seen in a movie theater then it Star Wars: The Force Awakens for me.

I give it a 4.5/5 since it was a great movie but it felt a little rehashed from the original trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    If it movies seen in a movie theater then it Star Wars: The Force Awakens for me.

I give it a 4.5/5 since it was a great movie but it felt a little rehashed from the original trilogy.
    Any movies. TV, DVD, Netflix....

Amazing Member

I see and thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    I see and thanks for the clarification.
    It's more fun that way.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

So I just got out of Ghostbusters...

Overall I will admit the film as better then I thought it would be and the overall story was actually decent. The characters were interesting and entertaining and the cast did an overall good job.

However, there was one thing that really bugged me. Despite being a nearly 2 hour film the pacing felt really rushed. That is to say the film literally felt like it was rushing itself, you couldn't fully enjoy any individual scene because it felt like the movie was constantly trying to rush to the next one. This is evident in the dialouge too as all the cast seem to talk at a fairly fast pace. Honestly its just kind of annoyng and turns even the better dialouge into fast paced ramblings! Also the general editing of the film feels kind of choppy in parts.

Overall the movie itself is decent and by no means ruins anyones childhoods. I just wish it had paced itself better and let itself breath more.

Overall I would give it a C+ Not as horrible as I had feared, but it could have been better. If there's a sequel I really hope they work on making the pacing/editing better and spruce up the dialouge abit so the film is less manic/chaotic and lets the characters and the film itself breath more. Also hope they cut out the mayor and his assistant as they were both extremly annoying.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    So I just got out of Ghostbusters...

Overall I will admit the film as better then I thought it would be and the overall story was actually decent. The characters were interesting and entertaining and the cast did an overall good job.

However, there was one thing that really bugged me. Despite being a nearly 2 hour film the pacing felt really rushed. That is to say the film literally felt like it was rushing itself, you couldn't fully enjoy any individual scene because it felt like the movie was constantly trying to rush to the next one. This is evident in the dialouge too as all the cast seem to talk at a fairly fast pace. Honestly its just kind of annoyng and turns even the better dialouge into fast paced ramblings! Also the general editing of the film feels kind of choppy in parts.

Overall the movie itself is decent and by no means ruins anyones childhoods. I just wish it had paced itself better and let itself breath more.

Overall I would give it a C+ Not as horrible as I had feared, but it could have been better. If there's a sequel I really hope they work on making the pacing/editing better and spruce up the dialouge abit so the film is less manic/chaotic and lets the characters and the film itself breath more. Also hope they cut out the mayor and his assistant as they were both extremly annoying.
    How bad did you think it would be? It sounds pretty average the way you're talking about it, and it sounds like average has exceeded your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    How bad did you think it would be? It sounds pretty average the way you're talking about it, and it sounds like average has exceeded your expectations.

I admit, despite trying my best to never have my expectations to high or low I went in bracing for the worst and was pleasantly surprised it wasn't that bad. Again it has a number of things it could improve on if it does get sequels, but overall yea, it was as you said just average, which is far better then being bad. Also a couple things I did enjoy worth noting there was a short scene with a mannequin chasing one of the characters that was genuinly creepy. And we also get a very brief appearance of a actual cartoon ghost which was kind of neat. But yea overall it was just an average film and not a terrible one which works for me.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Are there parts where it's surprising it turned out not to work given the movie it's remaking? Like, where there moments when you were like: How did they fuck this part up, when they already had this all worked out in the original?

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Are there parts where it's surprising it turned out not to work given the movie it's remaking? Like, where there moments when you were like: How did they fuck this part up, when they already had this all worked out in the original?
    Well there is some obvious racial stereotyping involved with the personality of Leslie Jones character Patty that I don't remember being part of Ernie Hudson's portrayal of Winston in the originals. I mean it doesn't ruin the film, but it is pretty noticable. I get that this incarnation is leaning more on the comedic side. But they could have handled Patty's character abit better IMO.

MI:5. Wasn't bad...