Page 8 of 211 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    And there are those of us who would place Skyfall as one of the best Bond movies made. If your hated Skyfall and hate Spectre, I imagine I will like it a lot.
    I know, it's really weird, but there's all kind. Maybe to like it you just have to not be able to see how it's nothing like a Bond film, or how it plays this stupid half-assed continuity game, (I can only guess because it was an anniversary film) which could have fun, but its failure to commit to any of it is maddening...the big anniversary seal at the end of all that mess almost feels like a big middle finger to the viewer, and hardy "FU" to go along with it. It's also a pretty boring film once they're out of Shanghai.

I haven't seen Spectre, the bit where I say I kind of want to see it should have clued you in on that. I can only imagine if I kind of want to see it, that you then kind of don't.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    I know, it's really weird, but there's all kind. Maybe to like it you just have to not be able to see how it's nothing like a Bond film, or how it plays this stupid half-assed continuity game, (I can only guess because it was an anniversary film) which could have fun, but its failure to commit to any of it is maddening...the big anniversary seal at the end of all that mess almost feels like a big middle finger to the viewer, and hardy "FU" to go along with it. It's also a pretty boring film once they're out of Shanghai.

I haven't seen Spectre, the bit where I say I kind of want to see it should have clued you in on that. I can only imagine if I kind of want to see it, that you then kind of don't.
    Sorry, it was Arfguy who hated both. You don't hate Spectreyet.

I could enumerate the ways Skyfall was great. But it wasn't for you, so we just see things differently, which is 5 by 5.

Go Phillies

Sin City (at least the first one, haven't seen sequel) is great.
    Well, I respectfully disagree. Certainly not to my taste.

BANNED

Sorry, it was Arfguy who hated both. You don't hate Spectreyet.

I could enumerate the ways Skyfall was great. But it wasn't for you, so we just see things differently, which is 5 by 5.
    In what way was it great? It what way is any of the movie even kind of good once the get the main villain of the movie? I think Skyfall actually was for me, it just turned out to be a pretty terrible movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar 382 View Post
    Well, I respectfully disagree. Certainly not to my taste.
    What didn't you like? I guess I could see how someone that thinks a movie like Pacific Rim is somehow disgusted wouldn't like it, since Sin a City actually is violent.

In what way was it great? It what way is any of the movie even kind of good once the get the main villain of the movie? I think Skyfall actually was for me, it just turned out to be a pretty terrible movie.

What didn't you like? I guess I could see how someone that thinks a movie like Pacific Rim is somehow disgusted wouldn't like it, since Sin a City actually is violent.
    What would the point of that be? Anything I say that I found good, you would think stinks, and visa versa. Obviously, looking at the reviews, I am not alone. But you are certainly entitled to not like it.

The Babadook. Haven't seen a horror movie this good in ages.

The Phantom of the Opera (1920s silent version.) It was part of a Halloween thing. I'll say 6.5/10. Played with live organ music but only really interesting because it was so different from movies today.
    www.comicofthemonth.club

A subscription service for people that love comics.

Firewalker

Louis Gossett Jr. and Chuck Norris make a great team.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

BANNED

What would the point of that be? Anything I say that I found good, you would think stinks, and visa versa. Obviously, looking at the reviews, I am not alone. But you are certainly entitled to not like it.
    To hear what someone, a specific someone in the person of you, found good about it. It's ok to say what you liked about something, even if someone doesn't agree with it.

Didn't I say even I thought it was good until they got Javier Bardem? So it wouldn't be anything you say.
    Last edited by simbob4000; 11-11-2015 at 08:39 PM.

To hear what someone, a specific someone in the person of you, found good about it. It's ok to say what you liked about something, even if someone doesn't agree with it.

Didn't I say even I thought it was good until they got Javier Bardem? So it wouldn't be anything you say.
    Okay. I don't have the time or energy to put down a thoughtful reply.
    Let's just say I liked the two sides of the same coin thing with Bardem, and I absolutely loved the finale when they reached Skyfall.

I keep hearing that Sam Mendes has made a Bond movie worse than Skyfall; kind of makes me want to see it a bit now, because so many people were seemingly falling over themselves over that terrible movie. Although I suspect most of the UK press where just acting like cheerleaders because it was Bond's 50th anniversary...it was funny seeing some of them calling for it to be nominated for awards.
    I wasn't impressed with Skyfall, either. I think Sam Mendes is gifted at working with DPs and there are some beautiful scenes in Skyfall. However, I found the action and a lot of scenes...especially some of the daylight scenes to be much too somber.

If you're not too fond of Skyfall, my feeling is that this one will be especially painful to watch.

Watched Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation tonight, with the same two friends that went to watch Spectre last night. So much better.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

Okay. I don't have the time or energy to put down a thoughtful reply.
    Let's just say I liked the two sides of the same coin thing with Bardem, and I absolutely loved the finale when they reached Skyfall.
    You see, these are things I don't like about the movie, not the most basic idea of them, but how they're done in the movie. These things are part of the half-assed stupid continuity game I was talking about...which is really probably the worse phasing, it's really a weird half-assed James Bond references game they're playing. Silva as a character is seemingly built to remind the viewer (or at least the one that watches Bond films) of the last James Bond, now he isn't the last James Bond, but he's Dame Judi Dench's old pet agent, he was abandon by MI6 and replaced by Daniel Craig's Bond character, and what happened to him sounds a lot like the beginning of Die Another Day. It's seemingly a villain role written for Pierce Brosnan, even more so because what we see on the screen between Silva and M is so little; it's really like nothing, it seems to have been so tailor made to see Brosnan trying to kill Dench like some kind of bizarro Die Another Day where they didn't save him and he went nuts, that that role can't work without anyone other than Brosnan in it. The Stately Bond Manor of Skyfall is another thing like that, it's just a series of references that make you hope Craig is going to meet up with Sean Connery. Oh, hey M, let's drive Sean Connery's car full of guns and stuff up to the Scottish Highlands. Why? Because reference. How do you even have this car Craig Bond? Because reference. Oh, look, it's Albert Finney looking like Sean Connery after the movie makes Sean Connery reference so I think they're going to meet Sean Connery. Go fuck yourself movie. I mean, I like Albert Finney, but Albert Finney as not-Sean Connery in a Bond movie sucks. New Bond and original Bond teaming up to have a big shootout is a cool scene in a movie. New Bond teaming up with groundskeeper Albert Finney is a scene that can be cut from the movie. And after the movie spends all this time making all these references to past James Bond movies, in a movie that doesn't feel anything like a James Bond movie, that big 50th Anniversary seal was just too much.

There's other problem to besides endless references that go nowhere, which is bad when your villain is a reference that goes nowhere. Like everything taking place in London being boring, both in what is happening, and visually. The movie visually picks it's game up again once they're in the highlands of Scotland, but once they're in Scotland the movie has totally collapse on itself. If the reference thing didn't get so terrible, and if Silva was a character that didn't seemingly depend on the casting of someone not in the movie so the viewer could feel something between him and M it probably could have been cool. At least it wouldn't have the weight of bad references on it, which is the thing that kills it the most. The first half feels like a cool little live action Golgo 13 movie, that was nice in it's own way.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Watched last night:

The Longest Day (Blu-Ray)
    Since yesterday was Veteran's Day, I thought this film was appropriate to watch.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The reference game, which seemed to overwhelm your viewing of the movie, was just nice asides for fans to me. I just took them as a wink and a nod and did not dominate the movie for me, as they do for you. I also liked all the action scenes, including those in London and Scotland.
    Look, I disliked The English Patient and had major problems with Titanic, to name two very successful movies. Others obviously differ. There is nothing I can say to make you like Skyfall, and nothing you can say to make my viewing less enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Watched last night:

The Longest Day (Blu-Ray)
    Since yesterday was Veteran's Day, I thought this film was appropriate to watch.

The crane shot of the attack at Habour, is one of the great all time war scenes.