Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Absolutely untrue. Doom Patrol preceded X-Men by three months. And it's been the longstanding belief of the creator Arnorld Drake that the X-Men were a ripoff of DP. He should know since he was also one of the writers that was used by Marvel on UXM.

No he is a low rent Batman. The original version should not be confused retroactively with what Ellis is doing right now.
    Book are usually done three month ahead of time so that would mean that Doom Patrol came out and Marvel immediately came out with another version. They were not basing it on fan reaction just their own?

Plus the connection between the groups is pretty weak. Ok a guy in a chair and a group of misfits/outcasts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Book are usually done three month ahead of time so that would mean that Doom Patrol came out and Marvel immediately came out with another version. They were not basing it on fan reaction just their own?
    They take three months, now.

And Drake claims that Stan Lee could easily have known about the Doom Patrol long before the first issue came out.

BANNED

You cool guys are never gonna stop with the Doom Patrol/ X-Men beef, huh? X-Men won, get over it.

Anyway, I don't understand why a new Challengers Of The Unknown book has to have anything to do with what Marvel does with Fantastic Four...or any of their books.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by King Of All Nerds View Post
    You cool guys are never gonna stop with the Doom Patrol/ X-Men beef, huh? X-Men won, get over it.

Anyway, I don't understand why a new Challengers Of The Unknown book has to have anything to do with what Marvel does with Fantastic Four...or any of their books.
    The idea being, I suppose, that it would fill a void in the dedicated fanbase of the Fantastic Four.

Of course, the book's repeated failure to gain large numbers, even under super-star creative teams like Mark Millar/Bryan Hitch, indicates that this dedicated fanbase isn't particularly large. And, by previous history, it's unlikely that fans of one franchise would simply replace them with another, superficially similar, group. Byrne attempted to do this at IDW, I believe, with a thinly veiled Fantastic Four rip off, and it flopped.

Ultimately there may be room for a Challengers book, but I tend to think not. As bit players in a group like SHADE, or as part of some sort of ensemble book a la New Frontier (the only time I've, personally, found them interesting) or Futures End I think they could have some mild cult popularity, but you'd need a special kind of alchemy to make them popular enough to sustain an ongoing series.

I'd love a new Challengers series, just don't let Didio anywhere near it. His collaboration with Giffen on OMAC was so much better, so it's obvious who was carrying the weight of THAT partnership! Didio should not be allowed to write anymore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    The idea being, I suppose, that it would fill a void in the dedicated fanbase of the Fantastic Four.
    It can't, because the really dedicated FF fanbase is pretty much a Marvel-only fanbase.

Astonishing Member

Yup. Sort of my point.

Coinciding it with a possible break in F4, would not be so much to fill a void , but somewhat more to be an incidental curiosity.

Like: "....they are doing what!? at DC?"

... you'd need a special kind of alchemy to make them popular enough to sustain an ongoing series.
    I suggested a mini-series to coincide with the supposed break, not that they'd have the powers in an ongoing. And Alchemy (transmutation of elements) of course could be the means by which it's conveyed.
    With the absence of 4 cardinal elements being grouped together in one universe, to keep the balance/"golden" they must manifest in another universe/realm.
    Who better than the Challengers of the Unknown to seek out and harness these powers.

DC might be missing a golden opportunity here-
    F4 rumor Update:
    FINAL ISSUE OF "FANTASTIC FOUR" LISTED FOR 2015 http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=56031
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-05-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Ignore this post. Didn't realize this was an old thread and I just reposted pretty much what I've written above. Lol!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpyrabKiller View Post
    Doesn't really work since all those are equal, or in some cases, better than their alter-company counterpart. Deadpool, Moon Knight, Thanos, maybe even Nova if we take Dick Rider's character into account, have surpassed their original character
    No, no, no and no.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyrabKiller View Post
    Plus, Moon Knight's incomparable
    Moon Knight is a direct rip off of Batman. Dark Knight/Moon Knight, Billionaire pretending to be a playboy by day, crime fighter at night? Alfred and Frenchie?

Not Getting Any Younger Kikaider's Avatar

Hmmm, interesting idea. I like the team relying on their skills, personalities, and adversaries to make an enjoyable movie. As they make movies now, regular guys are going toe to toe with super-powered beings that would literally pulverize them in true life physics. An interesting take might be to have them evaluate a danger and then choose mythical, scientific, and/ or cosmic weapons/ tools they have accumulated over years of adventuring. Some of which could be destroyed or cause larger problems during current adventures.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kikaider View Post
    Hmmm, interesting idea. I like the team relying on their skills, personalities, and adversaries to make an enjoyable movie. As they make movies now, regular guys are going toe to toe with super-powered beings that would literally pulverize them in true life physics. An interesting take might be to have them evaluate a danger and then choose mythical, scientific, and/ or cosmic weapons/ tools they have accumulated over years of adventuring. Some of which could be destroyed or cause larger problems during current adventures.
    Like this. The "seemingly out of their league" vibe is what we're after, i think....

Dc should probably try a Challengers with super powers and just erase the recent version of Dan Didio or maybe erase Dan Didio too. DC can also revive Planetary.

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    Dc should probably try a Challengers with super powers and just erase the recent version of Dan Didio or maybe erase Dan Didio too. DC can also revive Planetary.
    1) DC does not own the rights of Planetary, the rights belong to the author
    2) Dan Didio is God

Also bonus question; Why is it whenever DC race changes a character, people argue, "It disrespects the original character!" Yet here we have a similar occurrence and no one here seems to be mad (to be fair I only skimmed through the thread if Im wrong)...
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by colonyofcells View Post
    lol at erase didio...poor guy.
    that is impossible, but reboot probably already erased what didio did on the team. or people just forgot it
    Last edited by Blacksun; 10-06-2014 at 10:14 PM.